Forums

Help › Forums

Ping i15 Irons

Sun, May 30 2010 6:18 AM (22 replies)
  • b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Wed, May 12 2010 1:11 PM

So late last night after a few brown pops I decided what the heck I am going to rent the Ping i15 irons and give them a whirl.  

Now the fast meter takes a little getting use to, but I found with the Tour GI2-S it isn't that bad.   Kind of like the Ping G10's with the Tour GI-SD.  

Regardless, once you get used to the meter these things are beautiful.  The precision is amazing when you can ding the line.   I have never had a better day score wise(today's scores posted below).  And for the first time ever my average dropped below 60.  

Yes I know they were all on St.Andrews, regardless I have never shot this consistent.

05.12.10 St Andrews: The Old Course Front 9 Master 28
    05.12.10 St Andrews: The Old Course Front 9 Master 32
    05.12.10 St Andrews: The Old Course Front 9 Master 30
    05.12.10 St Andrews: The Old Course Front 9 Master 31
    05.12.10 St Andrews: The Old Course Front 9 Master 29
    05.12.10 St Andrews Front 9 Ready-Go Front 9 All Players 30
    05.12.10 Wk 20 9-Hole Unlimited Play Front 9 Master 32

Now with all that said I have also read that other players had the same results while renting them and then when they actually forked out the dough to purchase them they didn't perform as well.  

So I find myself in a bit of a bind.  Do I fork out the 1925 credits for these babies or just continue on with my G10's.  The number's don't lie, but it almost feels like I am being duped into something.

Just my two cents,

Cheers

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, May 12 2010 1:23 PM

It's all about the ding. Can you be as consistent with that faster meter to gain the marginal accuracy? I rented them to see for myself and I found that it wasn't worth the aggravation mainly because the reaction time to a meter stumble is drastically reduced.

I used to play the Tour-SD ball (I assume that's what you meant above) with the G10s and was happy with the speed. On a lark I tried the GI-SD ball and found dinging to be much easier. The i15s with the GI-SD ball put me back to G10s w/Tour-SD speed. Like I said, it wasn't worth it to me. You seem to be playing up to them and I wouldn't worry about anything changing. Too many people have them and don't complain. GL

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Wed, May 12 2010 1:41 PM

b0geybuster:
     The number's don't lie, but it almost feels like I am being duped into something.

Go with your gut feeling. With numbers like that, my gut would be screaming, HELL YEAH! lol

• PRIESTESS
    10,703 Posts
    Wed, May 12 2010 1:50 PM

I have the G15 IRONS,,If you can DING them keep THEM

• ccrume
    138 Posts
    Wed, May 12 2010 1:51 PM

b0geybuster:
    Do I fork out the 1925 credits for these babies or just continue on with my G10's.

I would try them out on the other courses before you decide. I have the i15s in my bag, but they aren't being used. I haven't yet gotten used to the speed with the GI-SDs.

I also used them with the G12-S and, like you said, the meter speed is comparable to the G-10s with the GI-SDs - but the difference in the ball performance is an issue (or at least I haven't adapted to the difference). The difference in the carry distance is noticeable.

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Wed, May 12 2010 1:57 PM

Been trying the i15s for 2 days and my average went up by 4 points.  I find it way to hard to adjust to the faster meter from driver - pw only to have the much slower meter with my other 3 wedges. I've found that accuracy is far greater compared to g10 when dinged but if you don't have a stable meter the i15s aren't for you.  I've found meter freezes (because you have to commit so much earlier) and spikes (because the speed of the meter) to be considerably worse with i15s than g10s coupled with GI SD balls. 

I did experiment a bit with i15s coupled with GI2 S balls.  My problem is you give up several yards of distance, don't have the same capabilities to top spin a shot and add 5-6 yards on in between clubs, and the meter is still slightly faster than g10s with GI SD balls.  This counter acts the pros of the i15s IMHO.

The only real positive from the i15 set I discovered was that the driver is quite long and accurate, and the high launch angle is perfect for Kiawah 4,5, and 9 because you can stop the ball so much quicker (assuming you actually ding your shot).

Bottom line for me is the i15s are going back in the closet until WGT produces some wedges that have the same meter speed as the rest of the set.

1,644 Posts
    Wed, May 12 2010 6:44 PM

My take on the i15 set:

Irons:  If you already have the G10s and you don't have credits to burn, stay with what you have.  The i15s are definitely more precise and the extra 5 yards on the 3i and 4i have come in handy a couple of times (more with the 3i).  But it is not worth the loss in the trade in and the extra credits for the set.  For those that do not have a master set yet, what you need to do is rent the hybrid for a day (60cr? or so) and try the meter with some different feel balls to see if you can get a handle on it.

Driver:  I didn't like it, mainly because I'm pretty precise with the R9, so the loss of yardage didn't justify the added precision.

3W:  A good upgrade for the added precision and 2 yards, but you need to justify the credits...

Hybrid:  I don't usually play one in my bag, so I have no comment really.

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Wed, May 12 2010 6:54 PM

Well I would say one thing Bogey...

Definitely play more than one course before making ur decision, unless you always are going to play SA. Only playing that 9 can severely skew one's thinking in my opinion. Good luck with it.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, May 12 2010 9:06 PM

One of the more interesting aspects of the Master clubs is their personality coupled with the time and creativity involved to discover what they are capable of. It takes time. But they all offer extreme excellence in concert with same.

• psychoaussie
    726 Posts
    Wed, May 19 2010 5:25 AM

Run WGT on Google Chrome. Provides a flawlessly smooth swing meter.I had all sorts of trouble with my usual browser, was told to try google chrome and WoW what a difference.

Give it a try. wont slow your swing meter but will help to a degree.

psychoaussie

RSS