Forums

Help › Forums

Ping i15 Irons

Sun, May 30 2010 6:18 AM (22 replies)
  • TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Wed, May 19 2010 10:20 AM

I would definitely say that the i15s are worth it... the extra distance and High trajectory will give you a better shot for birdie on a lot of holes... 

Holes that the i15s will greatly help on: 

1. The Ocean Course - #4 - 2nd Shot, #9 - 2nd Shot, #17 - 1st Shot
    2. Bethpage Black - #5 - 2nd Shot, #9 - 2nd Shot, #15 - 2nd Shot (sometimes), #18 - 2nd Shot
    3. St. Andrews - #2 - 2nd Shot, #8 - 2nd Shot... and lots of holes on the back that I can't remember their numbers.

So hopefully you liked them enough to buy the full set, they sure are helpful! :)

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Wed, May 19 2010 10:53 AM

TheLighterDark:
    So hopefully you liked them enough to buy the full set, they sure are helpful! :)

Thanks, I did buy them, but they are currently sitting on the shelf collecting dust.  I use them to practice and then switch to G10's for tournies.

I am still getting used to the speed.

Cheers

• Ribrown3rd
    38 Posts
    Wed, May 19 2010 10:59 AM

Expect a learning curve with them,my avg went up 2.5 points,but once you get a lasso around the beast,there is nothin prettier than a 3i that floats in and sits pretty like a wedge!

• TallAcePaul
    1,455 Posts
    Fri, May 21 2010 6:47 AM

I have just given up on them after 3 weeks. The problem to start with was that I was playing with 4 speeds of club. My driver, irons, wedges and putter all had a different speed. So to start with I changed the driver to the new driver so that it was the same speed as the irons but the accuracy on my wedges was still out the window and my putting was also starting to be affected.

Until the same speed wedges are bought out I cannot see how to use these properly. Even then I would agree with the point above in that unless your meter is perfect you stand no chance.

The real point being I couldn't get any rhythm and I was finding I couldn't relax playing and that is why I play the game in the first place!!

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Fri, May 21 2010 8:01 AM

I use and like them, although my lob wedge play has suffered a bit of late as a result. I'd like to see some new lob wedges with a meter speed that matches the G15s, that would see an end to my tendency to pull them of late.

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Fri, May 21 2010 10:02 AM

TallAcePaul:
    Until the same speed wedges are bought out I cannot see how to use these properly. Even then I would agree with the point above in that unless your meter is perfect you stand no chance.

These are my same contentions.  Love the clubs when meter is smooth, but unfortunately that's rarely the case for me.

The big hiccup was the difference in meter speed with your main scoring clubs, WEDGES.  I raised the same point about the Pro Rapture set not having comparable wedges but WGT seemed to brush that one right off.  It is very difficult for most to adjust to the varying meter speeds without taking 3-4 practice swings and playing at a snails pace.  Being a person that takes no practice swings and typically hits within 15 seconds, the clubs just aren't for me.  I'll just keep crossing my fingers that WGT has enough sense to grant us matching wedges for club set that costs nearly $40.  I'll gladly pay a few extra bucks for some wedges that match i15 speed.  You'd think they would be all over it as another way to generate more revenue.

• smason77
    464 Posts
    Sat, May 22 2010 11:04 PM

jakestanfill7:

TallAcePaul:

These are my same contentions.  Love the clubs when meter is smooth, but unfortunately that's rarely the case for me.

The big hiccup was the difference in meter speed with your main scoring clubs, WEDGES.  I raised the same point about the Pro Rapture set not having comparable wedges but WGT seemed to brush that one right off.  It is very difficult for most to adjust to the varying meter speeds without taking 3-4 practice swings and playing at a snails pace.  Being a person that takes no practice swings and typically hits within 15 seconds, the clubs just aren't for me.  I'll just keep crossing my fingers that WGT has enough sense to grant us matching wedges for club set that costs nearly $40.  I'll gladly pay a few extra bucks for some wedges that match i15 speed.  You'd think they would be all over it as another way to generate more revenue.

Jake... being the stud muffin that you are on here (big game hunter)...

i'm really surprised at your inability to hit different clubs! Let me ask you this; IRL do you swing with the same speed on all your clubs only so you can top out in regards to the maximum expected yardage? That's TWO golf in my opinion. (just my opinion)

You seem like a pretty cool guy and we all have meter issues...  but varying swing speeds.. yips.. deviations.. are all part of golf. I only have one i15 in my bag and it's my 3 wood. I hit it better than most other clubs despite the speed of the meter.

Does this mean that your putter should also match the meter speed of the i15? Of course not! I never swing as hard with my putter as I do with my woods/irons. Nor do I swing as hard with my wedges. The swing meter is intended to represent "feel" and that makes perfect sense to me.

There's a huge difference between power and finesse.

Play on my friend. I think you're doing just fine! lol! However opinions, experiences, and results never fail to differ.

• PRIESTESS
    10,703 Posts
    Sun, May 23 2010 12:38 PM

You Tell him Samson...im only 300 thousand credits behind him,,

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, May 23 2010 1:06 PM

PRIESTESS:
    You Tell him Samson.

LMAO-A Freudian slip if I ever saw one.

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Sun, May 23 2010 4:21 PM

smason77:
    i'm really surprised at your inability to hit different clubs! Let me ask you this; IRL do you swing with the same speed on all your clubs only so you can top out in regards to the maximum expected yardage? That's TWO golf in my opinion. (just my opinion)

Brother Steve,

I'm beginning to believe that you'd argue with a fence post just to see if it would react.  :)  You made a nice swing on this one but afraid you left the club face slightly open and sprayed this one out of bounds.

Here's the real deal.  METER SPEED = TEMPO (IMHO the most important component of a sound swing).  How hard you hit it in WGT is determined by how far on the meter you drag but TEMPO remains relatively consistent.  IRL how hard you hit is determined by length of backswing and swing speed on return, but TEMPO should always be very close from driver to lob wedge.  I don't contend to be the world's best golfer IRL (6hdcp before blowing right knee up last year) but I know this to be a fact solid players hold true. 

In WGT land I rely greatly on TEMPO.  I rarely focus on the meter and could say I almost let my vision blur so I rely heavily in the speed of the meter. This is what makes me so susceptible to meter glitches as I usually don't see them and complete the swing where many people would hold off.  I play a pretty good rhythm guitar too. Rhythm and rhyme, rhythm and rhyme, rhythm and rhyme.  Many players out there are capable of handling the variances without trouble, just not me personally.  3 different speeds for driver - pw, scoring wedges, and putter is too much for my inept mind.  I could probably adjust over time, but for now I'll stick with my +12 hdcp with g10s (+8 with i15s).  "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

Judges?  Round 1 to jakestanfill7.     :-P

smason77:
    Does this mean that your putter should also match the meter speed of the i15? Of course not! I never swing as hard with my putter as I do with my woods/irons. Nor do I swing as hard with my wedges. The swing meter is intended to represent "feel" and that makes perfect sense to me.

Now you're just being silly.  Of course I don't.  In WGT I actually focus on the meter because it's so slow with Daytona and different from my full swings.  IRL I still try to be fairly close to my TEMPO on full swings but it's obviously going to be a tad different.  Last year I went 54 holes w/o a 3 putt on greens rolling around 10-11 on Stimp meter and last week broke a stretch on 41 holes w/o 3 putt so I feel fairly confident with my assertion here as the preeminent voice of authority LOL  (tongue firmly in cheek).

Judges?  Round 2 draw. Match-  Unanimous decision to jakestanfill7.

jakestanfill7:  "Thanks for playing the game Steve.  You're a formidable opponent and friend but I'm always right!"......at least in my own mind. "Play on brother and I anxiously await our next tete a tete."

RSS