Re: missing eagles

rated by 0 users
Sat, Sep 2 2023 3:11 PM (49 replies)
  • SamSpayed
    4,902 Posts
    Wed, Aug 30 2023 1:02 PM

SamSpayed:

SoCalJim23:
    Sam....you're welcome to "try" to hit "Eagles" on some of these holes using a .41 cent WGT ball.....trust me, it's not easy.

Challenge accepted!  I'll buy a sleeve of those 41 credit balls today and try my luck at BOP5 F9 and B9.  I sure hope I can channel some of your luck on your favorite eagle holes there 🍀🙂  I'll report back on my progress. 

Well, Jim, as promised, I'm reporting back on my progress.  Sadly, I was only able to manage 1 eagle in 18 holes on the Best of Par 5s (your favorite course) with the 41 credit balls (your favorite "eagle" ball) 😢  I had a couple close calls on #9 and #12, though.  You're right... it's not easy!  I chalk that up in part to it being my first time ever playing with that ball.

Stream can be seen here:
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1912740706 

You and I should play a round together sometime with that ball.  Your choice of course, of course.  You know better than I do where the missing eagles are to be found 😄

• SoCalJim23
    420 Posts
    Wed, Aug 30 2023 5:30 PM

Hello CT...........You've made some very good points about STATS.  Since I haven't played any "Match Games".....I just didn't realize that "Eagles", etc. were not included in your STATS from "Match Games"..........I do apologize to you.  I'm sure you have hit many more "Eagles" than 19 with all of those "Match Games" and ALT Shot.

And in reality....I don't think that STATS really tell the whole story of a WGT Member's playing abilities. There are game scores, averages, tier level, the award section for each player, etc.

Best Regards,

Jim

• SoCalJim23
    420 Posts
    Thu, Aug 31 2023 2:18 PM

Sam..........

Don't feel badly about not hitting more "Eagles" than you did. I decided to buy some high quality balls...and hit those 18 Holes @ Best of Par 5's.  And I came with 2 inches of an "Eagle" on Hole #3.....then on Hole #10 - I used a similar formula I've been using to hit "Eagles" on this #10 Hole - but when I reached the hole, the distance/wind were very different...but I hit my ball to the "rough" at the back of the green & flopped it down for an "Eagle".....I was shocked it went in, because that's not an easy "Eagle" from the rough @ the top of that green. That "Eagle" put me at (106) "Eagles" for the month of August. But to be able to do that...I had to select about (6) Front or Back 9's...and hit them several times to get a single "Eagle". So, I was just messing around to see if I could somehow get (100) "Eagles" in a single month.

I actually believe for the most part that I play better with .41 cent balls than high quality balls. I also decided to upgrade to a better Putter.....but this new Putter was leaving my putts "short".....so I just sold it. Guess I'm just too used to the Level 19 Putter I've been playing with since I was a "Tour Master".

Well, I have been able to put up some descent "stats".....Eagles & Double Eagles...won 1,023 CTTH Country Club Tournaments...but I still KNOW I'm not even close to one of the best "Tour Champions".  I have an "Average" of 68.4 and that's where I belong. Well, no matter what sport or profession you get involved in.....there will ALWAYS be someone better...such is Life.

Thanks for your interest in playing a "Match" game...but I'd just assume struggle on my own...LOL.

Best Regards,

Jim

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Fri, Sep 1 2023 1:50 AM

Just wondering, Jim, do you post here from your phone? And if you do, what is the 1st word your text predictor suggests? 

• SoCalJim23
    420 Posts
    Fri, Sep 1 2023 8:16 AM

Hi Ana.........no, I don't post here using my Cell Phone; I use my Laptop Computer. I type 80 wpm, so it's just easier for me to use my Laptop - though I admit, I do tend to get a bit long winded here in the Forum as well as with some of my Emails.

Hey, see you've been putting up a TON of "Eagles" of your own...don't know how you do it - well done!

Regards,

Jim

• MioKontic
    4,591 Posts
    Sat, Sep 2 2023 7:55 AM

Ok, here's a challenge for anyone who wants to take it...

Using only a starter ball (and any clubs you want), playing Best of Par 5's, either 9 or 18 holes, let's see how long it takes someone to get 100 eagles.  Play it as many times in a day as you like.  My guess for a good player it will be no more than 10 days, and for a mediocre player I would say no more than 20 days.

Today is 2nd September, let's see who manages it first.  I'm having a bash, just to shut Jim up!

• MioKontic
    4,591 Posts
    Sat, Sep 2 2023 8:36 AM

So I got my 1st game in, BOP5 18 holes.  No eagles on my first attempt, but I got 11 birdies, 7 pars, and no bogeys... with a starter ball... for a score of 79, which rather puts Jim's scores of around par with a superior ball to shame.  And his scores include one or more eagles!

I did lip out for eagle on RSG #14, and I also holed out a 28yd shot for birdie from the fairway after my 3w approach on Congressional #6 landed in the water short.

• gonfission
    2,230 Posts
    Sat, Sep 2 2023 9:45 AM

At the very least HK did play people for real.

So, there's that, in comparison. Good bedmates, except HK has our respect. I cannot say that in this instance.

• SamSpayed
    4,902 Posts
    Sat, Sep 2 2023 11:50 AM

MioKontic:

Ok, here's a challenge for anyone who wants to take it...

Using only a starter ball (and any clubs you want), playing Best of Par 5's, either 9 or 18 holes, let's see how long it takes someone to get 100 eagles.

Challenge accepted!  I played it today with a starter ball and basic apparel (no apparel boosts) and managed 1 eagle (on #1) and a 78.  Was actually pretty disappointed with that score, and I did have a bogey on #14 when the caddie gave me a different club when I switched from Chip to Pitch.  I was watching college football on TV while I was playing and wasn't really paying close attention, so I didn't notice.

I am beginning to think that maybe Best of Par 5's really isn't that tough a course, even with a starter ball 🤔

• MioKontic
    4,591 Posts
    Sat, Sep 2 2023 3:11 PM

SamSpayed:
    I am beginning to think that maybe Best of Par 5's really isn't that tough a course, even with a starter ball 🤔

After a few restarts I got almost exactly the same - eagle on #1, bogey on #14 (? - the pinehurst hole) when my putt of 10ft went 21ft, then missed it coming back.  Scored a 79 again.  With regards to you thinking it's not a tough course even with a starter ball, it's actually more difficult to score level par than it is to be at least 6 or 7 under, even for an average player.

I see many players getting lots of eagles in the BOP5 RG's and brackets; I know that is with decent balls, but I'm sure they would still get a few each round with a starter ball.  The thing is, no one really cares, at the end of the day it's the final score that matters.  A couple of quotes come to mind:  "it's not how, but how many"; and, "there's no pictures on a scorecard".

RSS