Help › Forums

Re: LINKS LS 1999-2000

Wed, Jan 15 2020 10:10 AM (93 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jan 19 2018 1:51 PM

DonCaron:
    but I am not as good at it as I am here

You will be as soon as you realize you can trust what you see. There is no VEM or deviation, you provide that by the choices you make. You can repeat shots and expect the same result.

A really cool feature that made learning a snap was the right-click after you swing-it immediately puts you back at the setup, mulligan style. If you know you mishit it, right click and try again. Or wait and see what happens and then right-click.  Makes it real easy to see how the swing and stance adjustments affect the flight.

• uscheese
    18 Posts
    Wed, Dec 4 2019 5:33 AM

I know this is a really old post but just stumbled across it...I was a top player on links 98 - 2001 on cases ladder and was 100% addicted.  It's amazing to me that 20 years later we still don't have a superior game to what the Links series was.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Dec 4 2019 1:03 PM

uscheese:
    It's amazing to me that 20 years later we still don't have a superior game to what the Links series was.

You sure said that right. In fact, I envision revisiting that game when this one ceases to use Flash. I'm not holding out hope the new version is going to be anything like the current one, in the end. It'll just be another learning exercise for something that Links puts to shame.

• thestevster
    546 Posts
    Wed, Dec 4 2019 2:03 PM

YankeeJim:

DonCaron:
    but I am not as good at it as I am here

You will be as soon as you realize you can trust what you see. There is no VEM or deviation, you provide that by the choices you make. You can repeat shots and expect the same result.

A really cool feature that made learning a snap was the right-click after you swing-it immediately puts you back at the setup, mulligan style. If you know you mishit it, right click and try again. Or wait and see what happens and then right-click.  Makes it real easy to see how the swing and stance adjustments affect the flight.

hey YJ this game uses algorithm.

In mathematics and computer science, an algorithm (/ˈælɡərɪðəm/ ) is a finite sequence of well-defined, computer-implementable instructions, typically to solve a class of problems or to perform a computation. Algorithms are unambiguous specifications for performing calculation, data processing, automated reasoning, and other tasks.

so WGT can do what they like to this game..

cheers steve

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Dec 4 2019 2:43 PM

Not quite sure what your point is there, Steve. WGT and Links don't compare.

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Wed, Dec 4 2019 2:51 PM

I like Links, its a great game. Not sure whats going to happen in the end here.

I'm giving it an honest shot. I'm very slow at the new app though, timers are going to be tough.

• thestevster
    546 Posts
    Thu, Dec 5 2019 7:35 AM

YankeeJim:

Not quite sure what your point is there, Steve. WGT and Links don't compare.

sorry YJ  had me wires crossed m8..

cheers steve

• BrettH56
    108 Posts
    Sat, Dec 7 2019 9:46 AM

I'd have to agree, Links is so far superior it is just plain sad.

Too bad MS isn't smart enough to bring it back and even monetize it (similar to how WGT has) and create a truly great online gaming experience for golf.

They have a gold mine waiting for them

• Dad2147
    1,745 Posts
    Sun, Dec 8 2019 10:07 AM

Omg I just seen this thread!! I to played Arnold Palmers LS 98 golf game. I was also a long time member of the cases ladder during these times. When the later games came out I tried 2000 but didn’t like it as well as I did Links 98 so myself and several others played 98 for several months. 

If I remember right we played online on a site called Multiplayer or something like that . It then change to a site called Game Spy. We played for hours upon hours every night. 

On the cases ladder site we had to go in after a game and report a loss to our opponent and case did the rest and would move you up the ladder if you beat someone higher on the ladder!

Was a great time and oh the memories and friends we made. 

A funny short story that I remember was my wife one night said that if I died on her that she was going to have me put in my casket face down because that was the only way she would recognize me!! 

I still have some old spread sheets for the LS 98 game . They are a bit tattered though from being so old!!

Great times!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Dec 8 2019 1:55 PM

Dad2147:
    I still have some old spread sheets for the LS 98 game . They are a bit tattered though from being so old!!

The Links2003 version was 98 vastly improved. We all stayed in touch with ICQ, a chat program that the Links community used to stay abreast of it all. I had a recent look at how it's doing today in response to a query from one of my members and it's still trucking along. Search Links Corner. If you remember WGTLS you may recognize the forum.  :-)

RSS