Forums

Help › Forums

Re: 2 Drivers/3 Wedges??

Sat, Jul 31 2010 2:34 PM (69 replies)
  • andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Sep 9 2009 11:23 AM

Thanks for posting that info molideha!  I will give it a try.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Wed, Sep 9 2009 11:43 AM

claremoreblue:

I need an intervention I think Snaike!! :)  I am now signed up on the ladder league! Lets get it on!! I am in the process of learning how it works! Everyone have a great day, I'm gonna get me some top guns here!!

I recently signed up there as well.   See you there bud.

I waited to see if it would fill out, and it has and that prompted me to finally sign up for it.

• OntarioQuizzer
    11 Posts
    Tue, Jul 27 2010 10:23 AM

At the risk of resurrecting an old thread:

Count me in the "two drivers" camp (a R9 Master 8.5 and a Rapture Pro V2 9.5).

When I don't need the extra distance and just need the ball in the fairway, I use the Rapture. If distance is more important, out comes the R9.

My other 3 clubs are a 17 degree hybrid and 54 and 64 degree wedges.

• Stryder1261
    931 Posts
    Tue, Jul 27 2010 1:32 PM

1 Driver and 3 wedges here but I do carry a 3W hybrid for longer shots out of the rough.

the 3 wedge approach has definately helped my scoring as I can get closer to the pin on full shots of 85 yds or shorter and also for pitching,chipping and sand shots, it gives you more options.

• shakyjon
    87 Posts
    Fri, Jul 30 2010 11:16 AM

I, personally carry three wedges, and swap my 3h and 3W depending on the course I'm playing.  I can get much better wedge accuracy with my 64, 60, and 56 degree wedges.  None of them are the cheapies, but all of them sit the ball down nicely, and sometimes even spin them back (useful when I overhit).

• imcoola
    228 Posts
    Fri, Jul 30 2010 11:31 AM

I'm playing a driver the 3W and the 3H, Irons and a Master 60 TM wedge and a pro 64 Ping Wedge. Punch shot for the gaps. Well you can see the result on my profile.

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Fri, Jul 30 2010 11:38 AM

It depends on what i happen to be playing.

Stroke play I carry Driver, 3W or Hybrid (depending on course) and 3 wedges ... 54 / 60 and 64 degrees.   3W on Kia / Hybrid on the other 3 courses.   That gives me the opportunity to reach / possibly eagle some of the par 5's.

Match Play ... I carry a Driver and 4 wedges.   I stick the 58 wedge in also.   That gives me full swings of 50/77/86 and 98 yards.   I find in Match Play eagles are so rare that as long as you birdie you won't lose the hole .... and I like the 8 selections of full/punch shots which allows me to get close enough to bird and win holes.    Been pretty successful with this set up.

I also went back to the G10 driver ... the others may be a bit longer but, as in real golf  .. there is no substitute for hitting as many fairways as you can.

• drewsterinone
    190 Posts
    Fri, Jul 30 2010 12:12 PM

I carry a driver. and four wedges and my i15 ping irons

no need for a three wood most of the time!!!!!!

• UKCats
    165 Posts
    Fri, Jul 30 2010 12:33 PM

I carry 4 wedges, and Master Ping G10 Irons. At Oakmont, I'll sub a 3 wood in my bag but any other course I use 4 wedges.

• borntobesting
    9,625 Posts
    Sat, Jul 31 2010 2:34 PM

cobra4:

Carrying 2 drivers makes no sence what so ever.Any body know of any real pro's that do it ? I compensate an extra wedge in my bag for the sake of the hybrid club......

Phil Mickelson did it in the Masters one year.

RSS