Putter Default to 90 Foot Meter When On The Fringe

rated by 0 users
Thu, Mar 25 2010 10:28 AM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Fri, Mar 19 2010 10:27 AM

Hi All...

I don't believe this is a "bug" per se - BUT it is something that bugs ME - and I feel like it is poorly representative of how golf plays in real life.

Why does my putter always default to the 90 Foot Meter when my ball is on the FRINGE?

RECOMMENDATION:  A future update should ELIMINATE this default and leave the usual default (i.e. meter level just ABOVE the measured putt distance without respect to change in elevation).  

If this is the case, then changing the meter will be up to the PLAYER and consistent with how we do it for change in elevation i.e. a 27 foot putt with a hole position 6 inches ABOVE the ball will first appear with the 30 Foot meter - and if THE PLAYER chooses to use a longer meter (45 60 90 ft etc) due to the change in elevation, WE make that decision.  

I would like the FRINGE meter to be treated the same way instead of AUTOMATICALLY defaulting a 22 foot putt to the 90 foot meter if it is on the FRINGE, as it currently does.

Thanks, AtlantaCoaster

• gobbog
    150 Posts
    Fri, Mar 19 2010 1:24 PM

Agree 1000%!!!

I can't tell you how many rounds were ruined by the meter  jumping to 50 feet or 100 feet in my case with the Spider putter and assuming it's still set at 25 feet for a 12 foot putt from the fringe. 

AND now worse yet.... on St Andrews sometimes the meter will change measurement to Yards and the measurement on the green is still in feet! For example I was 20 feet from the cup on the fringe and the default meter was at 50 YDs!!  I had to get out the calculator to figure that one out, and still knocked it 10 feet by the hole!

Of course in the end it's my fault for not checking the meter...but, @!&$&#$ it bugs me too.

-GOB

• duffer66
    700 Posts
    Fri, Mar 19 2010 8:36 PM

I concur with the above posts, but something else that happens from time to time is, say the scale defaults to 90 but your putt distance is only 15, you change the scale to say 30 hit for 15 and the ball goes 7ft. Happened several times to me already.

• AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Sat, Mar 20 2010 7:05 AM

duffer -

That IS a good point.  Putting out of the fringe DOES result in some "drag" on the ball as the FRINGE is thicker than the green itself.  I find that more often than not, this is a SMALL amount but I have seen exactly what you describe as well.  I think it depends HOW MUCH DISTANCE of the FRINGE ITSELF you have to putt across - AS WELL AS a more severe effect if you are putting UPHILL in FRINGE.

Now that you have me thinking about it - HERE IS THE PROBLEM....(A different one than the putting meter BUT related to this situation).....

There is OFTEN an inconsistency between the MAIN GRAPHIC which may show the ball ON THE GREEN even though you got the pop-up "ON THE FRINGE" Message.  The "Lie Indicator" on the bottom RIGHT is OFTEN difficult to tell if I am laying on GREEN or FRINGE.  I WOULD HOPE FOR A FRINGE LIE TO BE CLEARLY INDICATED HERE - much like "30-40% ROUGH" etc is.  It is OFTEN hard to tell where exactly we are putting from - FRINGE OR GREEN.  Regardless of what the MAIN SCREEN shows - I always go by the Lie Indicator.

SIMILARLY - How come we AUTOMATICALLY default to PUTTER (with no ability to choose a wedge) when in FRINGE?  There are MANY instances when I am in the FRINGE where if it were real world golf, I would choose a wedge and not the puter.  How come we cannot make this choice from FRINGE?

Maybe The Gods of WGT are working on this - if not - take it as a suggestion for a future enhancement.

Regards,  AtlantaCoaster

• salamii
    1,058 Posts
    Sat, Mar 20 2010 10:44 AM

AtlantaCoaster:

SIMILARLY - How come we AUTOMATICALLY default to PUTTER (with no ability to choose a wedge) when in FRINGE?  There are MANY instances when I am in the FRINGE where if it were real world golf, I would choose a wedge and not the puter.  How come we cannot make this choice from FRINGE?

Maybe The Gods of WGT are working on this - if not - take it as a suggestion for a future enhancement.

You can make the choice from the fringe. The default club the game gives you is usually the wrong choice for whatever situation or yardage.  In many instances, I pitch or chip from the fringe, it just makes it easier to get to the hole, especially on longer putts.

• duffer66
    700 Posts
    Sat, Mar 20 2010 11:09 AM

I agree on the lie indicator as it also applies to the fairways. Screen says rough but the lie looks to be in the fairway. I have been in 20 to 25 rough as the screen says but I never adjust to the rough as far as yardage is concerned and have no problems with the hit. I have hit a wedge from the fringe also, and I think the chip or pitch works fine in that situation also.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Mar 20 2010 11:51 AM

salamii:
    The default club the game gives you is usually the wrong choice for whatever situation or yardage.  In many instances, I pitch or chip from the fringe, it just makes it easier to get to the hole, especially on longer putts.

How about an intelligent caddy?  One that learns from our preferences??  One that can feel the 28mph headwind and give us a club 2 higher than normal?  And one that can see we've got a shot to a pin on BP that's 35 feet above us?  And don't keep giving me the darn Pitching Wedge to pitch with when I always give it back and ask for the Ping 60 degree wedge.  I keep telling the caddy to take the damn pin out when I'm putting or chipping from the fringe and it does no good, it keeps forgetting.

Maybe intelligence is too much to ask.  Let me select some rules for the caddy to follow.

My favorite wedge.  Putt/chip/pitch from the fringe.  Pin in/out when less than 3yds from green.  1st putter scale based on distance or 15/30/45/90/150/300 scales for the Redwood.

Then I could set the rules up in the options and the caddy can read them.

If they can read.

• AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Sun, Mar 21 2010 5:30 AM

salamii:

You can make the choice from the fringe. The default club the game gives you is usually the wrong choice for whatever situation or yardage.  In many instances, I pitch or chip from the fringe, it just makes it easier to get to the hole, especially on longer putts.

Wow.  You are right.  Somehow I never figured this out but this morning I did in fact CHANGE the putter default to a wedge from the Fringe.  Somehow I spent a year not knowing this LOL.

Thanks, AtlantaCoaster

• gobbog
    150 Posts
    Wed, Mar 24 2010 12:17 PM

AtlantaCoaster:
    Wow.  You are right.  Somehow I never figured this out but this morning I did in fact CHANGE the putter default to a wedge from the Fringe.  Somehow I spent a year not knowing this LOL.

Is this possible? how?

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Wed, Mar 24 2010 12:27 PM

gobbog,

You can switch your shot type by clicking the word FULL (or PUTT or CHIP or whatever it's displayed as) in the bottom left hand corner of the screen.  When you click it you'll be shown a menu to choose from 1 of 6 different shot types (Putt, Chip, Pitch, Flop, Punch & Full).

• PAGES
RSS