Forums

Help › Forums

G0LD's putting formula UPDATED.

Sat, Oct 30 2021 12:38 AM (202 replies)
  • Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Tue, Apr 24 2012 4:35 AM

YankeeJim:
    but what really blows me away is how friggin accurate it is. 

Man I have given it my best , I don't know how you can make that statement.unless your putts are 2- 3 ft away. It works at best 4 out of 10 tries

No offence Gold you did a great job, I just can't get the darn thing to be consistent. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Apr 24 2012 4:59 AM

Woodoworkery:
    No offence Gold you did a great job, I just can't get the darn thing to be consistent.

Limit your speed rating to 1, 2 and 3. Use whole numbers. Quit trying so hard.  :-)

• G0LD
    358 Posts
    Tue, Apr 24 2012 7:25 AM

Woodo., no worries, I take no offense, but every time you tell me and everyone else that my method doesn't work, I feel you are trying to get some validation from us, hoping against hope that I and the others who have put this method to the test in good faith will come forward and say: OK, Woodo., you're right, you can go back to your old habits with a peaceful conscience and your pride unscathed; this method is not for birdies, but for the birds.

The problem is, and that's what rankles with you, the method does work to the extent that you time the moving white dots accurately and assign the correct numerical value to the break (of course, the grid must itself be readable and reliable). You are painfully stuck in a sense of failure, trying reluctantly to make something work, while deep down wishing you could legitimately forget about it, and return to the comfort of your old ways. And this reluctance, not some intellectual deficiency on your part, is what leads you to fail. But honestly, my friend, you already play very respectably using your own acquired flair; why torture yourself? So what if the method works for me and others, but not for you, because somehow it doesn't sit well with you! Let it go once for all; you haven't failed anything; you and my method do not click, that's all; there's no shame in that. 

Just play, Woodo., and have fun, with my blessings.

• mmikkeelee
    591 Posts
    Tue, Apr 24 2012 7:37 AM

GOLD..

hello mate i have tried your formula and it works great for me thankyou. 

i did find it hard to understand bt hpurey posted his method which i found easier to understand.

its no magic wond bt as i  used to memorise putts i now have more confidence with crazy breaks instead of scratching my head. 

hitting the ding and right distance is very important ive noticed as i hit a 40 ft putt it did go straight at the hole bt bounced out bt that was my distance control not the formula..

thankyou again great work mate ;)

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Tue, Apr 24 2012 9:01 AM

Gold It's not that at all, I just don't give up. If it is working so well for so many others I must be doing something wrong. One can be doing something wrong over and over and in his eyes he never sees what it is, it takes someone else to point it out.

When I say I am missing we are talking about the width of the cup. Mainly on the low side.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Apr 24 2012 9:20 AM

Woodoworkery:
    When I say I am missing we are talking about the width of the cup. Mainly on the low side.

I wasn't kidding above when I said quit trying so hard, Gary.  By this description it sounds like your speed ratings are off. It's real easy to get carried away rating the different speeds.

Go back to square 1 (forget the aiming part for now.) Use strictly 0,1, 2 and 3 for your speeds and just do the simple math. You might just be trying too hard and getting frustrated in the process. Erasing in your mind what you've been doing and starting over with the basic part will get you back on track.

FWIW, I use this in AS matches without slowing down the game but I don't get real deep into the specifics-just use the basic premise and the basic numbers. Playing alone I take more time and get more exact with the same results. This helps making it faster to do in multi play. It is very consistent.

• G0LD
    358 Posts
    Tue, Apr 24 2012 1:48 PM

Woodoworkery:

Gold It's not that at all, I just don't give up. If it is working so well for so many others I must be doing something wrong. One can be doing something wrong over and over and in his eyes he never sees what it is, it takes someone else to point it out.

OK, Woodo., I'll take your word for it. So then sorry for my psychoanalytical rigmarole.

Now here's what I suggest:

1) Start by relying on the front putt view, before factoring any other view.

2) Make sure your sense of the pace of ticking seconds is accurate, and assign the correct numerical value to each break line in the putting grid. Follow my chart, and see where it takes you. I know Jim meant well, and he's a bright lad, but be careful not to choose easy, but arbitrary numbers for the moving dots along each break line between you and the hole.

If you miss by the width of the cup, or graze the hole, or yet lip out, you are doing something right, and this bodes well. In that case, you need to tweak your approach, with added experience and judgment. Power control is indeed key, and keep in mind that on long, difficult putts where the grid is a mess of inconsistencies, or even contradictions, between the different views, you are doing fine if you make par. 

Keep me updated, and putt on with my best wishes.

• G0LD
    358 Posts
    Tue, Apr 24 2012 1:55 PM

mmikkeelee:

Hello mate i have tried your formula and it works great for me thankyou. 

i did find it hard to understand, but hpurey posted his method, which I found easier to understand.

Thank you again, great work mate ;)

Nice of you to say, mmikke.. I'll have to look at hpurey's clarifications (by the way, where are they?). Two heads or more are better than one.

All the best!

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Apr 24 2012 4:26 PM

G0LD:
    I know Jim meant well, and he's a bright lad, but be careful not to choose easy, but arbitrary numbers for the moving dots along each break line between you and the hole.

LOL. Barely remembering the "lad" days these days. ;-)

Cabinetmakers need to be exact to be any good. I got a headache trying to be too exact and when I realized that and stepped back a bit, it started working for me. The premise is outstanding and I was ruining it by trying to be perfect, or exact.

Gary's a good cabinetmaker. Just a suggestion. :-)

• bearclaw27
    553 Posts
    Tue, Apr 24 2012 4:37 PM

kilbraur:

G0LD:

img.php?image=014688224 Puttingillustration 122 561lo.jpg (click the back arrow or backspace to return to this post after having viewed the illustration).

Going to this link are getting a not nice ponography, you must tell people about this. Are WGT knowing about this?

Absolutely... I saw the same thing the 1st time I clicked on the link... Live-jasmine,com..

Looks like wgt might have been hacked ...

RSS