Help › Forums

G0LD's putting formula UPDATED.

Sat, Oct 30 2021 12:38 AM (202 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Apr 22 2012 11:12 PM

G0LD:
    The formula works more often than not for me and a number of other guys

Count me as one. The more I use it the faster it comes but what really blows me away is how friggin accurate it is. 

Heh-I'd like to see a Putter Pal device that is one grid square in size with 30 divisions.  ;-)

• Jolexi
    429 Posts
    Mon, Apr 23 2012 4:26 AM

Golds calculations do work, as in you will always put it in or close if your designation of value to the speed of the dots AND your working out of the pace is correct (or slightly wrong) but, as a few have stated on here, you can only use this method if you have the time to work it out and you WILL need the calculator.

I have tried it out a few times when I was having a tinker with things or when I just couldn't see the putt for the life of me, and it is a very good way to make sure you don't 3 putt if not a definite to make the putt.

Also once you have used this method enough times you will start to learn how the ball will swing on certain grids without having to do a maths test.

However if, like me, you like to practice and learn most during a social 4 ball, then, unless you're a maths genius, you won't have the time to work it out.

A way I have discovered is quite accurate is to break the putt down into smaller putts. Each square represents 2ft x 2ft so I work out how far left or right i need to move the line to make each 4ft putt straight again. I think most on here are confident they can knock a 4 footer in, so break each putt into 4ft putts.

e.g. you have a 20ft putt 4in down with a left to right break tournament green. First I work out the distance (20-4-24%then add 1 foot to make sure it gets there, this always works for me) then start to break down the swing. 

A 20ft putt will have 10 squares to the hole, therefore 5 4ft putts. Hold the left click on the marker and move the line whatever you think is required to straighten each 4ft putt.

If, for example, your 1st 4ft requires 1inch left, move the marker so the line moves 1inch along the 1st 4ft line, NOT 1 inch left of the hole, as the 1st 4ft is still 16ft from the hole moving the marker just 1inch from the hole will only move it about 1/4 inch along the 1st 4ft line. Then work to the 8ft line and move the marker again, and so on.

Again this is not an exact science. Your putt marker line will be straight and may pass through the next grid to the left as you work it out, but you have to remember the ball is going to curve away from the line so the grid the marker line passes through may not necessarily be the grid you need to work out. That is where memory, feel and just instinct comes into play.

Anyway that's my input. Gold has offered a brilliant formula for those who are willing to put the time in, but for those who want to click and shoot, this is a slightly less time consuming, but ultimately less precise method.

Happy lipping out!!!

JACKO.

• G0LD
    358 Posts
    Mon, Apr 23 2012 4:41 AM

Again, thank you, Jim.

I have to say, tho, in all humility, that on slower greens, the fraction I add to the break numerical value on downward slopes appears to need tweaking in a number of cases. I'm still toying with that.

Any suggestion from experience is welcome.

• G0LD
    358 Posts
    Mon, Apr 23 2012 9:51 AM

Nice contribution, Jolexi. Thank you.

• Jolexi
    429 Posts
    Mon, Apr 23 2012 10:40 AM

G0LD:

Nice contribution, Jolexi. Thank you.

My pleasure Gold.

Anyone who has put in so much time and effort to master this game, as you obviously have, and is prepared to share the secret with everyone else deserves credit.

I'm still bewildered by how you discovered what you add, subtract and all the rest, to what, to come up with a correct answer. But you have for sure and thank you.

Are you a maths professor by any chance?

I've just had a few practice holes using your method and once again it has proven to be extremely accurate. I rolled a nice downhill 25 footer in, and anything of possible 3 putt length always finished inside 3ft.

Very well done sir.

Jacko

• Heath021
    378 Posts
    Mon, Apr 23 2012 11:22 AM

Hi Gold,

I do have an alternative faster method using the same principles that I have adapted within the last week...it has proven to be very successful and I have been usually 1 putting everyhole no matter how far away I am. If you care to have some input...contact me. Believe me I have been trying to study every method known to man...lol.  Spending hours practicing putts on every course.

Thanks Gold,

Heath

• G0LD
    358 Posts
    Mon, Apr 23 2012 11:49 AM

Again, Jolexi, thank you for your kind words. Math professor, lol, too funny, no. I have spent my adult life writing mostly philosophical matters, while keeping abreast of core concepts in the sciences. Anyway, I'm largely retired now.

• G0LD
    358 Posts
    Mon, Apr 23 2012 12:12 PM

Heath021:

Hi Gold,

I do have an alternative faster method using the same principles that I have adapted within the last week...it has proven to be very successful and I have been usually 1 putting everyhole no matter how far away I am. If you care to have some input...contact me. Believe me I have been trying to study every method known to man...lol.  Spending hours practicing putts on every course.

Thanks Gold,

Heath

Just as I'm tightening the bolts on my device, here comes an inventor with his own contraption, trying to improve on mine. Good show; that's the spirit of progress!

But Heath, I suggest you put a final polish on your work, and submit it in the forum by starting a post. If it works, make it public, and thereby help your fellow players.

• Jolexi
    429 Posts
    Mon, Apr 23 2012 12:47 PM

G0LD:
    I have spent my adult life writing mostly philosophical matters, while keeping abreast of core concepts in the sciences
    That's all out of my league.

I'm a joiner (carpenter) and I just hit things with a hammer for a living.....;-)

If you manage to simplify the method, by that I mostly mean speed up the working out process. Possibly by figuring out how far to move the putting line in relation to the number allocated to the speed of each dot, whilst simply looking at the screen, then I'm all ears (well eyes really but hey).

Jacko

• G0LD
    358 Posts
    Mon, Apr 23 2012 3:46 PM

I don't know what Heath has in mind, Jacko, but he's a good player, and I'm sure his input will be worthwhile. As for my method, I can only say that with time, the whole process becomes second nature, largely internalized, with the help of a calculator on long, difficult, downward putts, and not all that time consuming. In multiplayer games, with a 90 second timer, you'd have to cut corners, and rely on experience to quickly assign a break value, move the flag accordingly, and strike the ball. The result, in that case, would predictably be less accurate, but you would still fare decently overall.

RSS