Help › Forums

Levels of play

rated by 0 users
Sat, Sep 5 2009 8:31 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Middle4man
    368 Posts
    Fri, Feb 20 2009 5:12 PM

While browsing the WGT players function, I noticed three other levels of play that, I'm supposing, will be used in the future. Have any numbers been assigned those levels? For example, right now, anyone averaging 69 and above is assign a hack label, and anyone touching 68.99 or below is forever assigned an amateur moniker.

Will those numbers have to be changed to accomodate the other three levels, all below amateur status? One would have to hope so, or golfers will have to have a 49 average (and that's NOT for 9 holes) to attain legend status. And have the folks at WGT have a ballpark figure for those levels?

For all it's worth, allow me to throw in my two pennies, and you guys may do with them what you may:

Hack - 80 and above (because that's what they shoot)

Amateur - 72-79.99 (because they're getting better, but they're not quite there yet)

Pro - 68-71.99 (because that's what they usually shoot on a sickenly consistent basis)

Master - 63-67.99 (because that's what they do; the title is TRULY earned)

Legend - 62.99 and below (for obvious reasons).

Thanks for the outlet AND the game. Absolutely loving it, because it mirrors so much the real game in its frustration as well as its jubilation.

• WGTadmin
    1,166 Posts
    Sat, Feb 21 2009 8:44 AM

Middle4man

Welcome to WGT and thanks for your suggestions.  We will be offering more tiers in the future, but it gets a bit complicated since we will have more courses with varying levels of difficulty and vastly different tee boxes for each tier.  The calculation of the cut off points for advancing to the next tier will be evolving over time. I'm glad you are enjoying WGT and this great game of golf.

all the best

WGT

• 6packmike
    235 Posts
    Fri, Sep 4 2009 2:40 PM

What is the cut off for becoming master right now? I heard lately that this had changed but I probably searched in the wrong forum. I invested my 35$ and would rather just compete at those tees for a while at least with my Raptures, tour gold wedges, and Spider putter. A speed meter on a driver like the tour gold wedges has, that hits it 270 would be enough for me to want to take the challenge of the back tees. From looking at what is available I would have trouble keeping it in the park. I have tried the Ping wedges that come with the Raptures and I can't handle that meter speed. Perhaps the really good players would complain too much or the players with the outdated equipment. I'm guessing to stay pro I would want to stay above a 66.99 average score. 

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Fri, Sep 4 2009 4:14 PM

What you are talking about is called 'sandbagging'. It is cheating. If you want to be in the right tier, post all of your scores....and I mean all of them. 

• 6packmike
    235 Posts
    Fri, Sep 4 2009 5:51 PM

I would not call it that and resent your post. I don't play in tourneys to win money as a pro like some others. And I just did post a lousy score of 82 that raised my average three strokes. I don't want to be in the right tier if I was a master as the better clubs need faster meters that I would not enjoy. What a jerky comment. Did you ever take into consideration that someone might be here for something other than winning money? You should be banned from the forums.

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Fri, Sep 4 2009 6:16 PM

Purposely editing your scores to stay in a tier is sandbagging....the end.

• Crusty56
    136 Posts
    Fri, Sep 4 2009 6:25 PM

Soulcatcher - What do you call playing nothing but the front nine on the Ocean Course, until you have the "average" you want?

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Fri, Sep 4 2009 6:36 PM

My average is what it is (really bad right now).

I play Multi player pretty much all the time.

If you think that there is one nine that gets played more than any other that is your right. ( I think it would be Beathpage Black front nine).

Did I want to become a Master..........yes.

Did I cheat to do it.....no.

Look at my score history and you can see how much I was playing when it happened.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, Sep 4 2009 6:50 PM

Just for clarification... artificially holding your "average" at a higher level, by not posting good scores etc is "sandbagging".  That way, when you compete in a tiered structure, you are competing at a level that you should have already surpassed.

Playing your best course to get your average as low as  you possibly can, is not.  You are being credited with the best scores you can put up.  When you compete in a tiered structure, you are competing at a level that corresponds with your ability.

Let's not confuse the two. 

SoulCatcher is correct.

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Fri, Sep 4 2009 6:54 PM

Thank you Snaike.........twice.

• PAGES
RSS