Forums

Help › Forums

Slam Dunks

Wed, Mar 24 2010 1:41 AM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Sun, Mar 7 2010 8:29 PM

Just want to hear if other people are experiencing the same fate as me.  Personally I have had 9 slam dunks yet only 3 of them have stayed in the hole.  Couple of the bounce outs are still in my replays.  It is all but impossible for a ball to bounce straight back up out of the hole yet it has happened to me 66% of the time.  Forget the WGT player right now, but someone had one bounce out and go about 150 yards out of bounds.  I had one bounce out and go off the green about 15 yards.  I've only seen bounce out happen once in real life.  Don't remember the players name, but it was in last round of Q school and was a 3 foot putt that bounced straight back up and rested on the lip....he missed getting his card by 1 stroke, OUCH!

I'd really like to see WGT correct this somehow.  They helped us by giving the remove flag option as many shots that would have dropped would hit the pin and stop 4 inches from hole.  Hope they can help us with this too.

So let's hear it, are you seeing the same thing?

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Sun, Mar 7 2010 8:44 PM

I have 2 in my replays.  One stayed in and one rejected, both pin-in.  I had another get rejected in a MPC with the pin pulled and seen a few others have similar results in MP games.

• borntobesting
    9,629 Posts
    Sun, Mar 7 2010 9:01 PM

jakestanfill7:

Just want to hear if other people are experiencing the same fate as me.  Personally I have had 9 slam dunks yet only 3 of them have stayed in the hole.  Couple of the bounce outs are still in my replays.  It is all but impossible for a ball to bounce straight back up out of the hole yet it has happened to me 66% of the time.  Forget the WGT player right now, but someone had one bounce out and go about 150 yards out of bounds.  I had one bounce out and go off the green about 15 yards.  I've only seen bounce out happen once in real life.  Don't remember the players name, but it was in last round of Q school and was a 3 foot putt that bounced straight back up and rested on the lip....he missed getting his card by 1 stroke, OUCH!

I'd really like to see WGT correct this somehow.  They helped us by giving the remove flag option as many shots that would have dropped would hit the pin and stop 4 inches from hole.  Hope they can help us with this too.

So let's hear it, are you seeing the same thing?

Sorry to have to tell you this but that happens in real golf so WGT has it right. I have a friend who slam dunked it. It bounced out of the hole rolled off the green into a bunker against the lip. He went from a hole-in-one to a double bogie. And the ball bounces out more often than it stays in, I would say about 2/3 is the average.Last year my boss dunked it only to have it bounce out too. He was so upset he missed his 2 or 3 foot birdie putt and had to settle for a par. Mine on the other hand 2 years ago stayed in for my one and only hole-in-one.

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Sun, Mar 7 2010 9:24 PM

borntobesting:
    Sorry to have to tell you this but that happens in real golf so WGT has it right. I have a friend who slam dunked it. It bounced out of the hole rolled off the green into a bunker against the lip. He went from a hole-in-one to a double bogie. And the ball bounces out more often than it stays in, I would say about 2/3 is the average.Last year my boss dunked it only to have it bounce out too. He was so upset he missed his 2 or 3 foot birdie putt and had to settle for a par. Mine on the other hand 2 years ago stayed in for my one and only hole-in-one.

We've certainly had some different experiences.  I have personally witnessed 6 in 25 years of playing the game.  2 of them were mine and none of them bounced out. 

Here's a crazy story.  In 1997 was backed up at Aspen Golf course behind a group and waiting to play par 3.  Group on tee, third player hits a slam dunk from 176 for ace and the fourth player stood up right behind him and aced it too, although not a slam dunk.  What are the odds of that?  I've also seen at least 20 while watching golf on TV a la Freddie's famous par save on Sawgrass 17 and if memory serves all stayed down other than the putt I referred to in first post of thread.  Have seen some horrible luck with pros hitting the base of the pin only to meet a disastrous fate, but have yet to see any bounce back up out of the hole.  Yes it is entirely possible but 2/3 seems a bit high.

Thanks for sharing your experience borntobesting.

• Hooky28
    168 Posts
    Sun, Mar 7 2010 10:42 PM

it happens the cups made out of aluminium not mud

if it aint perfect it aint perfect

1,644 Posts
    Mon, Mar 8 2010 9:12 AM

I've personally done it real life, from 130 yards, perfect 9i and it was tracking all over the pin... came down and looked like it hit a rock!  Bounced back and rolled off the front left of the green!  The guy I was playing with and I looked at each other dumbfounded.... when we got to the green all we could figure (by the small dent in the lip) was that the ball dunked, hit the bottom around the back of the pin and shot back out (almost 150 degrees).  I was so upset that I had to chip and putt for par, that would have been my first ever real life eagle.

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Mon, Mar 8 2010 9:25 AM

borntobesting:

Last year my boss dunked it only to have it bounce out too. He was so upset he missed his 2 or 3 foot birdie putt and had to settle for a par.

I'm sorry I don't have anything to add as my memory is terrible, but I am finding some of these stories pretty funny like the one above, somehow I could see me doing exactly this, and I'm sure the steam coming from my ears could be seen from the trailing group...lol

• borntobesting
    9,629 Posts
    Mon, Mar 8 2010 9:30 AM

jakestanfill7:

borntobesting:

We've certainly had some different experiences.  I have personally witnessed 6 in 25 years of playing the game.  2 of them were mine and none of them bounced out. 

Here's a crazy story.  In 1997 was backed up at Aspen Golf course behind a group and waiting to play par 3.  Group on tee, third player hits a slam dunk from 176 for ace and the fourth player stood up right behind him and aced it too, although not a slam dunk.  What are the odds of that?  I've also seen at least 20 while watching golf on TV a la Freddie's famous par save on Sawgrass 17 and if memory serves all stayed down other than the putt I referred to in first post of thread.  Have seen some horrible luck with pros hitting the base of the pin only to meet a disastrous fate, but have yet to see any bounce back up out of the hole.  Yes it is entirely possible but 2/3 seems a bit high.

Thanks for sharing your experience borntobesting.

By the way I almost had a heart attack when I saw my ball vanish into the hole and not bounce out. I ran the entire 120 yards to the green to be sure I had seen what I thought I saw.

• borntobesting
    9,629 Posts
    Mon, Mar 8 2010 9:34 AM

jayjonbeach:

borntobesting:

Last year my boss dunked it only to have it bounce out too. He was so upset he missed his 2 or 3 foot birdie putt and had to settle for a par.

I'm sorry I don't have anything to add as my memory is terrible, but I am finding some of these stories pretty funny like the one above, somehow I could see me doing exactly this, and I'm sure the steam coming from my ears could be seen from the trailing group...lol

And at 6'4 320 pounds he is not one you want see upset too often.

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Mon, Mar 8 2010 10:13 AM

borntobesting:

jayjonbeach:

borntobesting:

And at 6'4 320 pounds he is not one you want see upset too often.

LOL - hopefully it didn't ruin the rest of his round too, Golf is so like that, such a mental game and momentum can be hard to recover. 

borntobesting:

By the way I almost had a heart attack when I saw my ball vanish into the hole and not bounce out. I ran the entire 120 yards to the green to be sure I had seen what I thought I saw.

This would have also been funny to watch, closest I've been was about 10 inches, congrats. 

• PAGES
RSS