Forums

Help › Forums

Discrepancies with the master g-10 7 iron.

rated by 0 users
Sun, Feb 21 2010 4:24 PM (8 replies)
  • danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Sat, Feb 20 2010 11:54 AM

Ive noticed that the G-10 master 7 iron shortens up way more on mishits than the rest of the irons. Has anyone else had this or noticed this problem?

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Feb 20 2010 2:14 PM

I noticed it with the free irons, and the WGT 1st upgrade, the WGT 2nd upgrade and with the Rapture Pro's. It always seems to be the odd club that is out of sync yardage wise, also.

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Sat, Feb 20 2010 2:22 PM

You think the 7 iron is bad, try hitting the 8 iron. ;)  

I believe the shortness in expected performance is in conjunction with amount of backspin applied.  I know when hitting my 8 iron, and sometimes my 7, I don't apply full backspin, but partial or  none at all.  I tend to max out at half to 2/3's on the backspin.  This can be somewhat counter productive in tail winds, but has been effective for the most part.   

Where you using full BS in those situations?  Perhaps others with more empirical analysis can chime in.  I also think there's a past thread or 2 referencing this behavior in both the Master G10 8 iron and Rapture 7 iron.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Sat, Feb 20 2010 2:41 PM

Probably, ill have to write down these things when they happen so i can be more specific.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Sat, Feb 20 2010 3:22 PM

I maybe out of place here.   But, why not pick a low wind condition an experiment with the PW, 9I,8I, and 7I using various spin conditions.  Don't forget you can reduce the spin by applying more top spin.  I think you will be surprised by the results.

• NYBallerMan
    52 Posts
    Sat, Feb 20 2010 11:46 PM

Yeah, I took my Rapture V2 Pro Fairway Wood out of the bag. It has a listed range of 230 but the regular Rapture Fairway Wood listed at 220 does a better job on yardage and height. It seems as if the properties are reversed.  It travels further on the fly and give me more control. I wish I could get my credits back I spent for the V2 Pro model.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Sun, Feb 21 2010 2:02 AM

Unfortunately ES ball will decrease distance if not compensated with extra distance.

What I mean is XD ball will go farther than an ES ball.  If you combine the two like the Tour SD ball you will get the extra distance with the improve spin characteristics of the ball.  Hence, the ball will carry farther with less roll.

Thus, increasing spin on a ball, increases lift.   Hence the ball will travel a shorter distance.  This is using an ES ball.  If you notice the ball actually travels less than the starter ball if full spin is applied.

• NYBallerMan
    52 Posts
    Sun, Feb 21 2010 3:46 PM

True. I alternate using the ES and the Tour SD. I'm beginning to favor the SD for the reasons you mentioned. Thanks for the input. Even with the SD ball the Pro V2 does not handle as well for me as the regular V2. It doesn't have that "pop".

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Sun, Feb 21 2010 4:24 PM

NYBallerMan:
    the Pro V2 does not handle as well for me as the regular V2. It doesn't have that "pop".

LOL, you are in a thread with 2 Master level players who choose to use the Pro V2 rather than the more popular G10 3 Wood among other Master players.

In addition to the 10 extra yards the Pro should give you more precision over the regular V2.  That could make quite a difference in the eagle chances you have.  But my viewpoint there is base upon Pro Shop comparison, as I've never owned the regular V2.

I do own the G10 3W and choose to bag the Pro V2 instead.

RSS