Forums

Help › Forums

Are better clubs the way to great scores??

Tue, Mar 9 2010 12:09 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Feb 19 2010 12:49 PM

Infinito3010:
    Changing your game approach is key.  It does develop your course management skills. It also provides incentive in understanding what shots one can make in any given situation.

This is so true and to combine that thought with the OPs club question I will say that my approach has changed, literally, and the clubs did it. Having played TMs for the most of 8 months I figured I was as good as I was going to get. Maybe one of these days a 29 or 30 will show up and I'd be happy. The clubs did make this possible. 

However, thanks to a bunch of excellent players in a discussion about clubs the G10s kept coming up on top. I gave in and tried them and that's where the approach changed. They are all everybody says they are and that 29 will happen without question, as soon as I master them. I'm stringing birdies on holes I never did before. The 3 foot circle around the pin is becoming almost automatic.  The course management has changed too because of these clubs. I can play to better spots knowing I can get over the hazards protecting the pin. (BPB15- favorable wind landed tee shot 160 out. 6i got it to 2 feet of the pin-I have never, ever been able to do that with the TMs.)

Whatever you decide, if you know your clubs and their tendencies you will succeed. GL

• DM89436
    16 Posts
    Sun, Feb 28 2010 11:20 PM

Doug,

Thanks for the words of advice...avg. score has gone down from 75-76 to 68-69.  It does make it a different game for sure, but i have shot my lowest 9 and 18 since i upgraded. It was worth the investment of 1800 credits to have a bit more fun.Thanks again and good luck.

• masgolf
    17 Posts
    Tue, Mar 9 2010 8:50 AM

YankeeJim:

Infinito3010:
    Changing your game approach is key.  It does develop your course management skills. It also provides incentive in understanding what shots one can make in any given situation.

This is so true and to combine that thought with the OPs club question I will say that my approach has changed, literally, and the clubs did it. Having played TMs for the most of 8 months I figured I was as good as I was going to get. Maybe one of these days a 29 or 30 will show up and I'd be happy. The clubs did make this possible. 

However, thanks to a bunch of excellent players in a discussion about clubs the G10s kept coming up on top. I gave in and tried them and that's where the approach changed. They are all everybody says they are and that 29 will happen without question, as soon as I master them. I'm stringing birdies on holes I never did before. The 3 foot circle around the pin is becoming almost automatic.  The course management has changed too because of these clubs. I can play to better spots knowing I can get over the hazards protecting the pin. (BPB15- favorable wind landed tee shot 160 out. 6i got it to 2 feet of the pin-I have never, ever been able to do that with the TMs.)

Whatever you decide, if you know your clubs and their tendencies you will succeed. GL

Why would you say the G10s are that much better then the Taylor Mades?  Is it the ball stops quicker, the irons fly farther combo of both?  What would you say are the biggest differences between the two that you have noticed?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Mar 9 2010 9:59 AM

The Pings land softer on the greens because they're coming down at a steeper angle. The additional loft also carries elevation changes like you see on BPB7. With the TMs the flatter trajectory hits into it. The increased spin rating of the TMs is needed because you need the brakes when coming in low and hard, which is what they do.

St. Andrews is another story where you don't have elevation changes. The TM's flatter trajectory handles heavy winds much better than the Pings and has better spin at the cost of accuracy. LOL-Heavy winds make a mockery of being precise so 1/2 dot less there for the greater spin is worth it. I only have both sets because I knew the TMs would come in handy at SA, and they have. I switch to them when the wind is heavy but play the Pings everywhere else.

One really big problem I am having is adjusting to how much the spin affects the Pings' distance. With the TMs backspin would shave 2-3 yds off but with the Pings that becomes 5-10 (lower wedges). The ball is in the air so long off the Pings that the wind has a good time with it. I'll figure it out sooner or later. It's all about the fun and using both sets is fun, to me. GL

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Tue, Mar 9 2010 10:11 AM

The TM Tour Preferred set is the most overpriced master set of clubs out there.

I "upgraded" (and I use that word extremely loosely in this example) to them, and they literally shaved maybe 1 stroke off my game (from when I used the tour starter irons).   And that 1 stroke was due to the added distance I got from them.  The poor performance from these clubs was not due to a lack of trying (or lack of experience or skill).   I really wanted to make those clubs work, but they're crap.

Anyone who's thinking about getting the TM Tour Preferred iron set, DON'T.   Either get the G10's or save a few hundred credits and get the tour starter or tour pro irons instead.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Mar 9 2010 11:35 AM

LOL-Gee, marioh-how do you really feel? You were happy with them once, like I was. In fact, didn't you win enough with them  in RGs to do that upgrade? You did win a lot with them. Comparing them to the starters is a bit much, though.

@mas-I am not a good example of what to buy because I play an improvised game.  All of the big winners play the Pings and in the long run you will do better with them. I don't aspire to be a big winner, just competitive. I'm not ashamed of my stats.

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Tue, Mar 9 2010 11:51 AM

in response to the why can't we get a slow meter master rapture driver? i think you already know the answer to that, why, because then everyone could bomb it straight down the middle on every hole. with the taylor made r9, the farther you wanna hit it the greater chance you get to play from the spinach. NO EASY MASTER DRIVERS EVER. this would ruin the entire game. please wgt don't even consider this. thx JB

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Tue, Mar 9 2010 11:55 AM

YankeeJim:

LOL-Gee, marioh-how do you really feel? You were happy with them once, like I was. In fact, didn't you win enough with them  in RGs to do that upgrade? You did win a lot with them. Comparing them to the starters is a bit much, though.

@mas-I am not a good example of what to buy because I play an improvised game.  All of the big winners play the Pings and in the long run you will do better with them. I don't aspire to be a big winner, just competitive. I'm not ashamed of my stats.

Yes, I won plenty of credits with them, enough to ditch them and get the G10.   But I also won plenty of credits with just the R9 Driver and 3 Wood, tour starter irons and wedges, and Anser putter.

I'm not comparing them to the starter irons, but the tour starter irons (the 300cr set).

• Noobiedork
    12 Posts
    Tue, Mar 9 2010 12:09 PM
    Well I just got a set of g10's I can tell my game is getting better... Well I can say my shots are going further and getting more accurate. My score is going UP, but thats due to my learning curve with them. The swing meter change is tough, but not to difficult to get the hang of. The putter(daytona) is a dream to putt with. 8-12 ft putts used to be hard, now they are easy.....275- 300+ yard drives are getting more common.... I have chiping and pitching problems... as well as over shooting my drive on many holes.. Like I said they are great. the new clubs Will make my game better.... It will take a learning curve.... but it will be better.... good luck Noob
  • PAGES
RSS