"Why Haven't You Bought 'The Master Driver'?" - My Reply

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jan 15 2010 4:07 PM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 10:48 AM

Hello all...

I get this question fairly often - most often when playing Multi-Player games this question comes up in the chat - so I thought it would make a good Forum Post because a number of you have asked me.  (Aside from the fact that these responses are specific to MY GAME - I think there might be some useful "nuggets" of insight so I chose to write this!)

I was promoted to Master Tier in December 2009.  There seems to be a bit of a sentiment amongst some players to immediately upgrade and buy new clubs and so on.  This is not how I work - but if it works for you, then have at it!

I had recently acquired new clubs at that time - and even though promoted up a Tier, I did not feel (and still do not) that I had personally taken my game as far as it could go with my current gear - so I did not change any clubs immediately upon promotion.

I AM GETTING TO THE DRIVER...but keep reading....

I noticed that something that WAS kind of bothering my game was a yardage gap amongst my wedges.  I think I just lived with this - and it may have been less of an issue at the PRO Tier - but with some of the longer yardages - resulting in increased importance of shots from 100 yards and closer, this yardage gap began to become a more pronounced problem for my game - it seemed to be the one thing that was consistently COSTING me unnecessary strokes.

Now...I am much more comfortable changing ONE THING at a time in my game - so for the past few weeks it has been acclimating to the wedges.  To have to go through an adjustment to ANOTHER CLUB (like a new driver) at the same time seems as if it would be distracting or even frustrating - so I choose not to do it.

With the general emphasis amongst many here regarding AVERAGES - when you go up a Tier (regardless of which one) - it is a generally accepted fact that your average WILL in fact creep up a bit as you adjust to the longer game.

Curiously enough, after my own promotion to Master, my own average never suffered much - rarely above a 68, in fact.  I almost have to wonder if NOT changing too many things at once actually protected my average.  Upon promotion to Master, the ONLY thing about my game that changed was the Hole Yardages.  Throwing a change of clubs on top of the longer yardages could WELL have resulted in a more severe spike - as at that point there are several "new things" to adjust to.

A Theory I float (or really more of a rhetorical question) - Could some of the WGT Player Angst over increased scores just after Tier Promotion be traced to changes in gear (clubs or balls) ON TOP OF an adjustment to Yardage?

FINALLY - I get to The "Master Driver".

I don't have one.  Yet.

I have not as yet felt that there was enough of a "hole in my game" with regard to Distance Driving to warrant acquiring one.  With the resolution of the Wedge issue that I described at the beginning - I am currently DECIDING if this will be my next move - OR is there some other weakness in my game I would handle first?  TO BE DETERMINED.

There seems to be alot of drooling over the R9 Master Driver.  People see the yardage capability and envy it.  NOT SO FAST.

I HAVE SEEN MORE PEOPLE GET THEMSELVES INTO BIG TROUBLE WITH THAT THING THAN I CARE TO RECOUNT.  The Meter is FAST and it is notoriously unforgiving.  Particularly in Multiplayer games, I have seen other players spray drives ALL OVER THE PLACE with it!  Sometimes even in the Fairway if they are lucky!

For what it is worth - I already own an R9 (Lower Level - the one that goes 240 Yards - bought when I was an Amateur level).  I personally never had any big problem with the meter speed - so THAT is thankfully not even a factor in my decision about the Master R9...

BUT...there is a bit more nuance involved here.  With increased driving capability - and increased power and distance - there also creeps in a need for more PRECISION.  I am personally assessing this as CRITICAL.  Here is why...

Even with shorter Drivers.....think about some of the trickier drives we have to play - specifically places where there is a dogleg OR subtle bend in the Fairway.  Think about the drive on BPB 2 or 13.  Or Kiawah 2.  Think about the places where EVEN WITH SHORTER DRIVERS - it is notoriously easy to over roll a Drive through a Fairway and into rough.  

FROM THE BACK TEES - and WITH INCREASED DISTANCE IN A DRIVER - the Drive actually BECOMES much more of a precision shot than it is from the shorter tees with shorter clubs.  It simply is part of the deal.

I think alot of players miss this point and simply go out and buy "The Cannon" (Master R9) without really considering PRECISION.  Some of these longer drives FROM THE BACK TEES can be quite literally like threading a needle!

No judgement against anyone else's choices - but for ME - this would be a mistake for my game.

As such, I lean heavily towards favoring the Ping G10 for my eventual "Master Driver" purchase.  I will gladly choose to sacrifice a few yards for some better PRECISION.

That is most likely My Choice unless I find reason to shift my opinion between now and when I do pull the trigger and buy the Driver.

Eventually down the line - will probably acquire the R9 Master Driver as a "nice to have" - but it may not ever become a critical element of my game.  (But that could change with the addition of more courses that create different needs!).

So there - THAT is why I have not bought the Master Driver!

Best Regards,  AtlantaCoaster

• JoelWhite
    101 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 11:32 AM

Interesting thoughts, AC. I was a Rapture player as a pro, and truly felt I could have scored in the low 60's had I not turned master. Looking back, I realize I did myself a disservice by using the Raptures as a pro, with the slower-than-slow meter, rather than making the jump to a faster-meter set of sticks. Ever so slowly, I've gotten used to the fast meter and wouldn't go back to the slow-meter clubs (unless WGT offers a master-only Rapture set). I still use the Rapture 3-wood...just like I use a cheap, but reliable, MasterGrip 3-wood in real life. My main problem is, I wasn't raised with an X-Box or PS3 controller in my hand...in fact, I'm not much of a computer person, doing well to remember how to turn the damn thing on! LOL! Hitting the sweet-spot on the meter is rare for me...but I can get close enough to keep my avg in the mid to high 60's.

• IrUSANA
    6 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 11:38 AM
    Howdy AC, Just want to tell you that your writing style/prose is admirable. I'm in full agreement with you regarding upgrading to a new, spifier club without first really knowing what you can do with what you already have; think the player who doesn't keep good notes, the idea strongly promoted by Iconian, here. IrUSANA
  • Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 11:48 AM

I took the same position AC when making a choice for master driver. I started a thread you can read titled "R9 vs G10. The feedback was great and it led me to my decision of the G10.

When money frees up, I to am going to get an R9 and see what it's made of, after I get the G10 irons.

You'll find the G10 is a forgiving driver and you can always slow the meter down with a G-series ball. These ball are quite effective for slowing the meter. I have the V2 Rapture irons and the G balls slow the meter down to a crawl.

Kind Regards

Rich

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 12:01 PM

Lack of driving accuracy is a bigger deal on BPB than on Kiawah.

But, there are certain holes on BPB where the added distance of the R9 will be the difference between GIR and no GIR.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 12:19 PM

Peering into Marioh's golf bag: But those greens you can't reach in regulation might have something to do with the starter irons and balls I found in there.  Oh, and what's with that half-eaten ham sandwich I found in the balls pocket?!

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 12:22 PM

Blah, that's what my 3 wood is for.   :)

Hit and pray !!

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 12:26 PM

Also, those awesome irons and wedges are Tour Starters, not the regular Starters.

They really aren't that bad.   Many players have seen the magic that is the tour starter irons and wedges, either in RG tournys or multi player.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 1:41 PM

Doublemochaman:
    Oh, and what's with that half-eaten ham sandwich I found in the balls pocket?!
    marioh:
    Blah, that's what my 3 wood is for.   :)
    I don't get it... You're using a half-eaten ham sandwich as a 3 wood?  Isn't kind of hard to follow through after the swing??

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jan 15 2010 1:54 PM

Bet it duffs a lot.

• PAGES
RSS