Help › Forums

So this is what I'm in for?

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jan 13 2010 5:35 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • JenniferLove
    10 Posts
    Tue, Jan 12 2010 7:18 AM

Found the web sight, signed up, practiced a bit and got an invite to play from a Pro. I figure what the heck, I am very familiar with computer/console golf games I shouldn't embarrass myself. After the first shot I am asked sexually related questions. I should have know better. I am on news sights, hobby sights and personal interest sights and it happens all the time. BOOM, a woman, lets ask her how big her boobs are? WTF? Well at least it happened right away so when I see it again, and you all know I will, I won't be surprised. See ya around the course.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Tue, Jan 12 2010 7:24 AM

You'll eventually build up a friends base here and will be able to avoid all that by playing primarily with your friends.

Cheers.

• Randy209
    65 Posts
    Tue, Jan 12 2010 8:01 AM

Don't let one bad apple ruin this great game for you. 99% of the people I play with on this site are great. So I hope you meet and play with the good ones.

Hit m straight

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Tue, Jan 12 2010 8:09 AM

echo what Marioh said, and I'll add...

Men really never understand what a woman goes thru with online sites. They wonder sometimes why we are cautious about certain things. I can tell ya from being here a while though there are many good boys on here, they have to all be boys right, playing a game ya know ;).

Anyway, my rule of thumb I follow is... if you do anything that I don't quite care for that will be the last game we play together. If you're on my list and you do something similar then off the list you go. The one feature I do wish they would add is a "ignore" player. That would solve some of the more annoying circumstances. And at the end of the day just use common sense, but most women already know that.

• JenniferLove
    10 Posts
    Tue, Jan 12 2010 8:11 AM

Nothing could ruin golf for me. I have been playing for real for 40 years and playing the sim variety since Nintendo had one in the 80's. I guess that dates me doesn't it. LOL. I won't leave I was just a bit surprised. It only took 10 minutes to get harassed. Maybe it's the name I choose? I will just ignore the chat if it goes beyond hello and such.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, Jan 12 2010 9:24 AM

Jennifer... first, welcome to the site.  Hope you have a blast and get to meet all of the really fantastic people here and about.  90% of the people I run into in and around this place are all top-notch folks, golfers and gamers.  It's a blast.  (of course the other 10% are just flat rude.)

Second,... when you run into someone, anyone, who is acting less than cordial/civil, please feel free to write to the folks at members@worldgolftour.com and give them the offenders name and date you played.  WGT takes harrassment claims seriously.

This site (whether "someone" agrees or not and for better or worse) is supposed to be for 18+, and judging by the ad revenue is geared for a much higher demographic, so most here should be adults.  Let's hope they can act like it, too.

Thirdly, you may want to look into the Ladder site.  WGTLS.  Great group of people who actually like to play golf and socialize like adults.

And finally...  I just loved the NES golf game!  As a matter of fact it was my very first experience with Nintendo.  (That, and Duck Hunt!)  If you don't count the original Atari "Pong" console you could say it was my first home video game ever.  Now, how's that for 'dating' oneself?  =)

Ciao!

• JenniferLove
    10 Posts
    Tue, Jan 12 2010 9:47 AM

Pong! We were one of the first to have that game when I was a kid. I know a guy who has one of those and it still works. He pulls it out and has his kids play when they start complaining they want the latest $60 game. My daughter still has the Super Nintendo and about 50 games her Dad bought her when she was in grade school. All of it still works and she had an offer of $1800 for it all. Boy does that take me back. I am currently playing some xBox racing games my Grandson has. Some of "the boys" I race online are surprised when I hook up the headphones and mic and they find out they are getting a good race from a Grandmother. My daughter and I regularly beat up on the guys in the family when we get together at holidays and play some games. She used to beat the pants off her boyfriends and their buddies back in high school. These kids today don't realize how long some of us have been playing games. They think it all started 10 years ago.

I want to thank all of you who have replied with such positive and respectful comments. I look forward to getting some games in. I have to figure out how to get my tier advanced and buy some clubs. I am unemployed so I have time on my hands.

Fairways and greens everybody.

Jen

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Jan 12 2010 10:10 AM

Welcome indeed! The good news, Jen, is that the vast majority of the male players in our community are truly gentlemen. Once in a while it may get crude, but it is very rare. I brush it off with good play. A chap I was destroying in a game invited me to dine on his family heirlooms but I declined by explaining that I didn't eat snacks.

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Tue, Jan 12 2010 10:19 AM

Pong? I played the original arcade game, the 8 foot tall , 3 foot wide monster ... (well maybe not THAT big but you get the idea) ... blip, blip, bloop ... lol ...

I guess that makes me ancient ...

Welcome to the site Jen ...

don

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Tue, Jan 12 2010 10:34 AM

Hi Jennifer, welcome to WGT. If someone makes abusive remarks to you in a game, please report them to members@worldgolftour.com.

• PAGES
RSS