Forums

Help › Forums

2009 R.I.P. The Best & Worst of '09

Wed, Mar 3 2010 5:38 AM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2009 11:53 AM

After enjoyable reflection that covered from now, back to April 24, 2009, I forced myself to select my very best and worst emotions since my beginning.

After about  5 weeks of play , I was playing the 9 hole unlimited at Kiawah back nine with free, starter everything, and after hitting every fairway and every green along with 8 one putts, I stood on the 18th tee...shaking...heart racing...eight under par! I hit the fairway...I hit the green...I have a 31 foot, right to left breaking putt, and all I want is a par...28 is fine with me. Just a lag putt...a good lag putt...2 feet away from anywhere is fine and dandy. I set up reverse view and hit what seemed to be a little strong. At the last moment the putt broke right into the hole! 27! The emotion of that event has yet to be bested by me, along with the score. How about You?  What was your Best?

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2009 12:59 PM

Great story SP, I think mine in the two years I have been here is of late, In the Ryder Cup the USA was down by one to the Internationals with 3 matches to play.

My match with TallAcePaul was almost a have to situation, which I always enjoy pressure. Paul is very sharp but I was able to get up on him early, which of course he came right back LOL. So much for getting a lead and was soon two down myself. We arrived at hole 18 all square and me nervous as could be, knowing somehow I had to win the hole. Lo and behold I managed to make 17ft bird for the win, I'm not sure what happened after that as I was elated to no end! I think it took about an hour to come back to reality after that one.

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2009 1:04 PM

It might have been just the other day for me. I've been trying to get 58 on Bethpage for what has seemed like forever. Only real way for me to do it is in the Multi Rounds, Pro tees. How those players do it from the back I will never know, anyhow...

Was standing on the 15th tee 5 shots short of 58. So you do the math, 4 holes 5 down. It just turned into another failed attempt at 58. So I hit my approach into #15 green, actually missed it to the left, remember cursing some under my breath, but it hits the slope comes up then down right into the hole. It took me a moment to realize, didn't until I got into #16 fairway, that I had just made the shot up. 3 off 58 with 3 to go! Well after 3 birdies on those final holes and I look back at it and can't believe that shot on #15 was the deciding factor.

• Crazyman2
    731 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2009 1:16 PM

Great story Sweetie  It conjures up all the tense excitement and atmosphere of the occassion. 

I remember my first real round. I played at a local golf course and teed off at 8.18am What amazed me was that I played well even though I was extremely lucky on the odd occassion 

After my unforgetable experience I then ventured into the clubhouse where I celebrated each hole with a drink. It was then that I managed to get a glimpse of the beautiful 29 year old lady captain, she had just completed her round.   She had long brunette hair, green eyes with a small mole on her tanned shoulders  ( Still not sure why she had a mole as a pet)  She was wearing  a white callaway cap with an embroidered logo and matching white top enhancing her tan. (Not that I took much notice of her of course) Just by chance (when i moved the chair I was sitting on next to hers)We started to converse about the game. The conversation went right into the night. Was a perfect introduction to the game.

I was looking for tips and she showed me a couple of pointers! 

That was my most memorable hole in one!

Happy 2010 to those that are no longer in the dark ages and always strive to get that birdie!!!

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2009 1:45 PM

My best moment for 2009 will come tonight at 12:00 am (cst).Bad year all the way around for my beloved country,America.

But as of right now I guess it would have to be when I hit my first drive with my brand spanking new Master R9 Driver.I hit that thing and said WOW,look at that ball go.Then of course,I hit my second drive and screamed FORE,then I said this thing's gonna take some getting used to.

Good luck to all in 2010 and be in it to win it.

P.S.   I'll bet that pointer went both ways Crazyman2

• sabbath270
    231 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2009 2:14 PM

ncviz:
    How those players do it from the back I will never know

That's easy, playaz always do it from the back.

(That was my contribution for worst joke of 2009).

• DightonBlue
    42 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2009 3:28 PM

For me, the best playing moment was seeing my name atop the leader board for the first time. Okay, it was Very early in the month and I ended up finishing 37th, but it sure was a great feeling to know I had played the best round thus far.

Overall, though, just spending time chatting with other players during rounds and checking out what some of my favorite players have posted in the forums has to rank as some "best moments", as well.

Fairways and greens, guys - - -

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2009 3:33 PM

And it must be asked, Crazyman, were you able to discover what par for the hole was?

...on the flip-side of the "Best", takes us to CTTH Kiawah...

...after challange #1 and #2, I am sitting pretty at 1.8 feet...nice start! At #3 of course, 15 feet or less is fabulous. I hit my approach shot and quickly turned up the volume to enjoy the sound of the pounding heart that guarantees 10 feet or less. When I heard the sound of ball in cup, I was in complete disbelief. Shock...standing on the 4th tee, I realised I wanted to watch and save the replay. Which I discovered was, at that point, impossible to do. I'm HOT! I know what I'll do...I'll contact WGTALEX and get that replay back!! As if, well, as if I could see WGTALEX going into action..."listen up people! drop what you are doing and pay strict attention! WE HAVE A CODE RED!! SweetiePie has lost a replay!!"....It was a two for one deal...preposterous and ...about a month later, same scene, and another ace at #3. I saved that replay, still have it with the title of "my favorite ace" and now you know why...redemption

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2009 3:54 PM

Hi All,

My best in the 18 months on here was easy to choose. It came in my first Ryder Cup match recently, playing with my friend Coolswing, against 2 of the games big hitters Claremoreblue and Wvmountaineer. (sorry to recount guys )

I'm only in the Pro tier - right, everyone else is Master - I didn't even want to look at their rankings....why would I ????

We have no chance right. Front 9 BPB. Cool takes Clare, I take WV - we go 2 down twice and come back to win 1 up. Cool and Clare share the spoils, I beat WV 1 up.

It was about  0230hrs when we finished and I was so pumped up I couldn't sleep. You cant get any higher than that, I don't think I've come down yet.

So - Dreams do come true sometimes, you just have to hang in there and sometimes things can happen.

My worst - Kiawah 2nd or third - I went in the creek across the course 5 times. I still havent worked out what went wrong :-( 

The things we do ??

Nice post SweetiePie

Happy New Year from Down Under (New Years Day here)  :-)

Doug

• Middle4man
    368 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2009 9:05 PM
    Hello brethren and sisters, This has been a very enjoyable virtual golf year for me. First, finding the game itself, with a sore need of a good online golf game, was a plus, and everything else has been icing. My virtual golfing year was highlighted by qualifying for the inaugural Virtual U. S. Open at Bethpage Black, and by shaking my head at how the guys in Q-School do this for real. Every nerve was shaking, and it's tough to hold your breath in one-minute intervals for an hour to try and make sure each shot is just right. I was using the starter clubs and had shot 71 three times. But now it was the final Sunday, and I had vowed to stay up until the 2 a.m. Central time deadline to try and qualify. Well, 1:40 a.m. started to roll around, and I'm on the 18th tee at even par, which was the cut line. The drive was pristine, but the approach, as many of you know, can be dicey if not dealt with properly, so I played safe and aimed for the middle of the green. Mission accomplished, but I played it too safe and looked at a 71-footer. Not even an easy two-putt from there. After looking at it for seemingly forever, I struck the first putt using the 150-foot putting gauge (my contribution to the well-publicized putting tips guide posted by nivlac, I believe). Not bad, but the longest 4 1/2 feet left I've ever seen. I looked at this putt for another length of time before taking a BIG breath to get rid of the shakes, letting the meter run its course another couple of times, and finally striking it home for my 70. I'm surprised I didn't wake up the wife with my jubilation. I shot a very disappointing 75 during the Open (I missed a LOT of very managable putts), but the WGT e-mail declaring me a finalist and the e-mail from the U.S. Open folks saying I was a member for a year eased that pain. I have since upgraded some things and learned a lot more, so my 2010 virtual golf year looks very promising, and I'm very anxious for it to start. Have a very safe and very Happy New Year to you and yours.
  • PAGES
RSS