Forums

Help › Forums

2009 R.I.P. The Best & Worst of '09

Wed, Mar 3 2010 5:38 AM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2009 10:06 PM

My goodness! These are wonderful to read...each and every one of them! Bravo!

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Fri, Jan 1 2010 7:15 AM

So many to choose from ... but i think the most memorable was the 2010 Pilsner Urquell Open ( the very first St. Andrews skill challenge) ... i can remember it running for three months and i knew it was a sweeps so it really didn't matter if i posted a low score or not ...

Be that as it may , i still wanted to be on the first page of that leaderboard if possible ... my initial attempt started me out in 34th position on the opening day. As the days passed i would shoot a few rounds attempting to better my original score only to watch my 34th begin to slowly slip backwards ... when it hit about 124th position, i managed to shoot a few feet shorter and gain back some lost ground ... 70 some odd position, about a 50 position improvement ...

A month went by, then two, and it looked like i was just going to have to settle for my second best shot at it , which was now in something like 130th postion ... then one day i shot at few rounds and to my surprise , i gained back about 25 places on 1 attempt so i decided to give it another shot ...

Everything went right on this round ... hole after hole i was leaving them close with the #5 challenge (usually one of the easiest for me) giving me my greatest footage ... 21 feet i think ...

6 and 7 went well ... looking at my total footage after 7 i KNEW i would have a really good finish ... flopped out of the bunker on 8 to about 2 or 3 feet and i'm on the last one with about 73 feet total ... i remember my hands shaking when i released the meter and the green line advanced ... "ping" ... 9.9 feet short but the final total was 83 and change ... when i clicked the continue button i was dumbfounded ... i was holding the second best score for the entire two months of shooting by all the players on WGT ...

Well, it held for three weeks ... two people outshot me in the last week but that 4th place finish (even though it didn't win anything) was something i was proud of ...

• kwoody94
    34 Posts
    Fri, Jan 1 2010 2:07 PM

I am just a lowly old pro who really enjoys this game. I had many good moments in this game. A 67 on Kia with one bogey was my best and I walked around with my chest stuck out all day. I know that is not on par with some of you but for me as a casual player I was proud. Some close wins on the ladder with some great players have been great. All in all I just enjoy the game glitches and all. I have met some great guys and gals on here,had some spirited matches and I can play golf in the winter without a sweater , what more could you want! If you want to play a game just for fun and good company just give me a holler. Hope you all have a good 2010 and remember keep it in the short grass.

Ken Wood

aka kwoody94

1,644 Posts
    Fri, Jan 1 2010 6:52 PM

My best moment actually has absolutely nothing to do with playing the virtual game at all.  It was my trip to Wolf Creek to play that truly breathtaking course.  Below is an excerpt of the conversation I had with MisterWGT when he asked me how my trip was.  When I realized that I had shot a score in the 'Visit Wolf Creek Challenge' that not many people could beat, I knew at that moment who I wanted to take with me.

My mom and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience!  It was by far the most spectacular course I have ever played (not that I've played many) and my mother agreed (and she has played many many courses).  I thank you for the opportunity and I think it brought my mother some much needed peace since the passing last year of her long time companion and the person responsible for her passion for golf.  It was a surreal day on the second day that we played, we were first off in the morning and they grouped us with a single player from Chicago who was the exact stature, attitude and demeanor as my late step father!  I could see my mother becoming emotional during the round, but it was all good, and I think it was good for her and it seemed to provide a bit of closure as he was taken from us too early.

So once again I thank you and my mother thanks you.

We will never forget it.

Lee

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Jan 1 2010 8:07 PM

What a treat this is! I sure hope there are more gems to be enjoyed.

• duffer66
    700 Posts
    Sat, Jan 16 2010 8:40 PM

My best memory is getting a 29 on BP and winning my first tournament, also vaulting me to master. Another tourny I entered as pro,after making master was a 2nd place finish. But then to the back burner with the longer tees. Finally getting the hang of it. Good ol 2009, hope 2k10 is as good.

• Provan9
    6 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2010 4:26 AM

My memerable memory from 2009 wasn't playing virtual golf on the PC, it was out on the course proper. I visited my brother in Des Moines, Iowa, for a few weeks and we play as much as we can in Des Moines. I recommend Waveland GC to anyone visiting the city.

Anyway we decided to go to the final day of the John Deere Classic at TPC Deere Run. They played 36 holes due to rain so we saw a lot of great golf. On the trip home I got out his laptop to see what they would charge for a round there, within 5mins I had booked us a tee time the following day, we couldn't believe our luck!!

That night we were like little kids before Christmas, I was nervous as well, thinking what a pro course would do to a 12 handicapper!!. I had my heart set on 'breaking 100' LOL.

Next day we teed off from where the pro's did on the final round, and just for good measure the pins hadn't been changed!! We got to the 16th, the 'signature hole' at Deere Run and I was well placed to 'break 100'.

I took an 8 iron into the 160 yard par 3. Hit it neat, drilled the green, spun back a yard and left me a handspan from the hole. I took about 5 photo's from various angles and distances. Tap in birdie - highlight of my 'career'.

It's worth mentioning that I came back down to earth with a 9 on the next, lost a ball and 3 putted the beast of a Par 5 - 570 yards LOL.

I ended up hitting 99, that included 7 lost balls - the most enjoyable 18 holes of my life.

Cheers;

Provan9

• overtheedge
    5,878 Posts
    Wed, Mar 3 2010 5:38 AM
    Lets see some pics......come on now..
  • PAGES
RSS