Forums

Help › Forums

To all club owners

Mon, Feb 5 2024 10:23 AM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Tue, Jan 30 2024 6:19 AM

I’m working on a guide that will hopefully help players looking for a home club make an informed decision. The guide is an unbiased and fair overview of various country club models. The hope is that it will become a pinned post.

I think we've all been disappointed when a new member discovers, only days later, that our club isn't the right fit. This is equally disheartening for the player and existing members who've begun to connect. Importantly, this is no one's fault.

If a club owner would like to view a copy before it is posted please let me know, and I ask for honest feedback for improvement. I propose using Discord for a straightforward and direct exchange of the guide, which will be shared as a PDF document.

edit: Also, if you would like for your club to be listed within the article as an example of a club model please let me know.

• BPeterson8256
    2,908 Posts
    Tue, Jan 30 2024 8:11 AM

Tony08888:

I think we've all been disappointed when a new member discovers, only days later, that our club isn't the right fit. This is equally disheartening for the player and existing members who've begun to connect. Importantly, this is no one's fault.

Just a thought... You might want to include the category of clubs that welcome new members to come and go as they please. Many players hesitate to choose a club due to concern of the fit and upsetting people if they find they don't like it and leave. Although I am no longer the club owner, I believe clubs like Simpatico Springs still welcome players to try it out with no hard feelings no matter how many times they come and go. When it was my club, I would even go out of my way to contact other club owners to try and help players find a club that had what they were looking for.

My attitude has always been joining or leaving a club should be no big deal and friendships made should continue no matter what club you or your friends go to. I know this is not a popular attitude among many club owners who feel like their members belong to them or owe them something, but I think these types of clubs should be listed, especially for players who are not sure what they are looking for or what to expect in a club.

File:US One Cent Obv.png - WikipediaFile:US One Cent Obv.png - Wikipedia

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Tue, Jan 30 2024 8:23 AM

I like it and think that can be easily incorporated into the leading paragraphs.

• mega1byte
    770 Posts
    Tue, Jan 30 2024 9:39 AM

Hi Tony:

I haven't read the purposed article but understand that a club should allow individuals to come and go as they feel for a club that fits their play.

We at the FFCC have always been that way.

Mega

• AlaskanDame
    18,970 Posts
    Tue, Jan 30 2024 9:58 AM

An important way to categorize clubs would be, imho, those that use Discord or other chat app, and those that do not.

Another would be if they are aiming to be a top 20 Clash or TW club…..or not.

Thirdly, does the club care about the daily and weekly club goals….or not.

Good luck with your project.

AKD 

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Tue, Jan 30 2024 10:20 AM

Great points. Categorizations are more in line with highly competitive, casual, social clubs etc.

Styles of communications can go into the “what to ask club owners” section. This is all very helpful. 

• SamSpayed
    4,902 Posts
    Tue, Jan 30 2024 11:05 AM

Tony08888:
    I’m working on a guide that will hopefully help players looking for a home club make an informed decision. The guide is an unbiased and fair overview of various country club models.

Why not just let players looking for a club come to Country Club Corner and read the recruiting posts there?  

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Tue, Jan 30 2024 11:22 AM

That’s a great question!

It’s designed for the player to find a club that aligns with their style vs aligning with a clubs style. Some players do not know what to look for or how to go about it. We’ve all been playing for a while and it is easy for us to know what we want. Some players do not know. 

Also, yes the club ads are helpful, but they can be misleading when posted by an overzealous member of how he perceives his club to be vs the owner’s philosophy and why he started the club in the first place.

It is completely unbiased and straight forward, giving descriptions of what can be expected in certain types of clubs. 

I can send you a copy in Discord if you’d like to go through it. Just from the few comments already, I see a revision that I wasn’t expecting and those comments only scratch the surface I’m sure. 

Another reason, is the only pinned message in the Country Club Corner is 14 years old and basically says “Here ya go, this is the spot to post ads”. 

• SamSpayed
    4,902 Posts
    Tue, Jan 30 2024 4:16 PM

Tony08888:
    Another reason, is the only pinned message in the Country Club Corner is 14 years old and basically says “Here ya go, this is the spot to post ads”. 

You might want to re-read that pinned message, Tony.  The rules in that post clearly state that there should only be one recruiting thread here in Country Club Corner per CC.  Your country club already had 3 threads here within the 1st 2 pages 😂 

It makes me wonder if one of the purposes of your proposed PDF document is for you to promote your own CC yet again - but this time in a pinned post.  

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Tue, Jan 30 2024 7:38 PM

Tony08888:

I’m working on a guide that will hopefully help players looking for a home club make an informed decision. The guide is an unbiased and fair overview of various country club models. The hope is that it will become a pinned post.

If a club owner would like to view a copy before it is posted please let me know, and I ask for honest feedback for improvement. I propose using Discord for a straightforward and direct exchange of the guide, which will be shared as a PDF document.

edit: Also, if you would like for your club to be listed within the article as an example of a club model please let me know.

If the guide simply provides an overview of types or categories of clubs there are, then it sounds like a fairly worthwhile project. But if the guide were to start identifying specific clubs as examples within each category, then that quickly becomes extremely problematic. Basically, the guide would (in part) become a promotion for the listed clubs.

If posted, the guide should just say something along line of this: with complete descriptions, below are the types of clubs there (generally) are here on WGT. Before joining a club, ask the club's owner or director what category they believe their club to be.

To accomplish the goal of informing players about the types of clubs that exist, there is actually no need to list any clubs as examples. That's especially so because all clubs have advantages/disadvantages that are best learned by (a) having a conversation before joining, and (b) actually joining the club and trying it out. Knowing the category a club falls within provides only one piece of information. Players still won't know if they like the club until they join it.

By the way, I'm not completely convinced this is a solution addressing a problem. It seems to me the problem is more apparent than real. I don't know why there would be all that much angst about a player joining, staying a few days (discovering it's not a right fit), and then moving on.

• PAGES
RSS