Forums

Help › Forums

Heartbeats

Fri, Jan 26 2024 4:55 PM (8 replies)
  • MattyNic0
    28 Posts
    Fri, Jan 19 2024 3:34 PM

How the hell are they worked out?  .. I've had shots that have finished 10 to 12 ft short or rolled to 15 ft passed and got the thumper but also hit shots to within an inch of the hole and got nothing.  

Heartbeats???  Beats me!  

• HamdenPro
    2,413 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2024 2:45 PM

MattyNic0:
    How the hell are they worked out?  .. I've had shots that have finished 10 to 12 ft short or rolled to 15 ft passed and got the thumper

I do not know about shots 12-15' getting a thumper but, it appears, approach shots from a distance, which land within 3 yards of the hole, get a thumper. As your approaches get closer, the distance resulting in a "heartbeat" shortens. The closer you are to the pin, the shorter distance to the hole is required to get the heartbeat.

• MioKontic
    4,591 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2024 5:44 PM

HamdenPro:
    which land within 3 yards of the hole, get a thumper

I'm sure I read somewhere that it's 10ft.  And you are right, I think it's any club except the wedges - once you get to wedge distance you need to get closer to the hole to get a heartbeat.

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Mon, Jan 22 2024 9:31 PM

Heartbeats usually happen in the 2-3 yard range, but I believe, even with as sophisticated this program appears to be, I believe at times it can't figure out exactly where your ball is going to end up.  I have had shots after rolling end up at 2 yards and never got a heartbeat.  Unless is further breaks it down to feet before the heartbeat starts.  But then again I have had heartbeats start as soon as I have completed either a full, punch or pitch shot.

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Tue, Jan 23 2024 9:41 AM

inside 10 feet from 100 yards or greater is heartbeat.

50-99 has to be within 6 feet i think. 

shots in the 30ish to 50 yard range have to be within 2 feet to get a heartbeat. 

putts greater than 40 feet i think (maybe 50) have to finish within a foot or so in order to get one. 

short approaches less than 20 yards wont get heartbeats. some might if you hole it but there is a cutoff for those.

summation: the shorter the shot the closer you have to be. 

• MioKontic
    4,591 Posts
    Tue, Jan 23 2024 9:52 AM

Gary - I'm surprised you don't know how software works.  The end result, i.e. where your ball is going to finish, is calculated before the shot is visually executed.  So the program already knows if you are going to be inside 10ft (or whatever it is), and so the heartbeat will start as soon as the ball is hit visually, with the proviso that you need to get closer than the 10ft if hitting wedges as HamdenPro and I mentioned above.  I'm not sure what the short distances are.  An an example, for the likes of a short chip/pitch/flop shot you maybe have to be inside a foot, but I don't know for sure.

• SamSpayed
    4,902 Posts
    Tue, Jan 23 2024 12:15 PM

MioKontic:
    I'm sure I read somewhere that it's 10ft.  And you are right, I think it's any club except the wedges - once you get to wedge distance you need to get closer to the hole to get a heartbeat.

I think if your distance to the hole is 100 yds or more, you'll get the heartbeat if your approach ends up within 10 feet of the hole.  Inside of 100 yds, you'll get the heartbeat if your approach is within 5 feet of the hole.

That's just a general rule, though.  I think for some shorter approaches (not sure what the cutoff is), you'll have to be even closer to the hole than that to get the heartbeat.  And even then, the heartbeat is not always guaranteed.  For example, earlier today I got the heartbeat on a greenside pitch from 11 yds that ended up 1.1 feet from the hole.  But other times, I've pitched in from off the green and not gotten the heartbeat.

For putts, you'll get the heartbeat if your distance to the hole is 40 feet or more and your ball ends up within 1 foot of the hole.

• BlackBogey
    276 Posts
    Fri, Jan 26 2024 2:13 PM

We had one the other night where someone got a heartbeat and ended in light rough or fringe.  Haven't ever seen that one before, although they were inside of 10 feet to be fair.  It was one of the par 3s on Chambers and the hole was obviously cut within 3yds of the edge, which in real life is generally frowned upon.  

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Fri, Jan 26 2024 4:55 PM

SamSpayed:

MioKontic:

I think if your distance to the hole is 100 yds or more, you'll get the heartbeat if your approach ends up within 10 feet of the hole.  Inside of 100 yds, you'll get the heartbeat if your approach is within 5 feet of the hole.

That's just a general rule, though.  I think for some shorter approaches (not sure what the cutoff is), you'll have to be even closer to the hole than that to get the heartbeat.  And even then, the heartbeat is not always guaranteed.  For example, earlier today I got the heartbeat on a greenside pitch from 11 yds that ended up 1.1 feet from the hole.  But other times, I've pitched in from off the green and not gotten the heartbeat.

For putts, you'll get the heartbeat if your distance to the hole is 40 feet or more and your ball ends up within 1 foot of the hole.

Correct. 

RSS