Forums

Help › Forums

Glitches and Trust

Fri, Dec 29 2023 2:09 PM (21 replies)
  • LARRYDAVID101
    8 Posts
    Wed, Dec 20 2023 4:45 PM

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

After playing this for around a month, there seem to be a number of anomalies within this game. I realize that programming a game like this is monumental. That being said - something that I have learned watching the graphics – is that you what you See – is Not always what you get. I really enjoy playing this so far – on the other hand – there are some strange glitches in the software/AI.

Early on in my career here - while playing in a singles 3-hole match – a player teed off and drove onto the adjacent fairway – which I am reasonably sure was on the same course.  The game did not declare it to be out of bounds. The player was allowed to continue to drive up the wrong fairway, past a gaggle of sand bunkers, then chipped it back towards the proper green where he finished playing the original hole.

The most common issues I have noticed are during putting. I’ve had the entire game, both mine and my opponent’s actions lapse into slow motion.  Had opponents get gifts of gimme putts when still out 4 to 5 feet – and lost the match following this. And just recently something that has happened multiple times, my putting gauge failed during the match – a 25-foot putt traveled around 2 feet, multiple times.

Guess I am slightly skeptical about investing actual funds with this company – as I my sense of trust only goes so far.  For your consideration – I thank you.

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Thu, Dec 21 2023 12:34 AM

Driving up a fairway next to the hole you are playing is allowable in real golf , unless out of bound markers are in place , so this isn’t a glitch . Same applies on this game , there are many holes where it is  permissable. 

With regards to your point re putting , try not to rely too much on putter pal and work out the distance you need to hit the ball yourself. There are occasions when the guide is way out . 

There is no need for you to invest real money in this game . There are three ways of earning credits , to enable you to buy equipment and balls . For a start the watching of videos daily will amass more than 1000 credits per week . 

At this point in your game it’s better to learn about the game and all the courses before you pay for balls that’s for sure . 

Finally , coming up in the next few days will be an opportunity to ask on the forums for a gift from Santa for Xmas, so keep an eye out and consider what gift you might like incase you are lucky enough to be chosen . It will be in announcements and news section . 

• Nighthammer1
    3 Posts
    Thu, Dec 21 2023 5:41 AM

Where can I watch the videos that you mentioned?  I go to the watch videos section under "Earn Free Credits", but most of the time there's nothing there.  And if there is, it is only for 1 credit????   Thanks!

• MioKontic
    4,591 Posts
    Thu, Dec 21 2023 10:50 AM

Nighthammer1:

Where can I watch the videos that you mentioned?  I go to the watch videos section under "Earn Free Credits", but most of the time there's nothing there.  And if there is, it is only for 1 credit????   Thanks!

You can only watch videos on the app, either on a smartphone, tablet, or using an android emulator on a PC, but you can't watch them on the WGT website, which is what you were referring to.  Each video usually lasts up to 30 seconds and is worth 2 credits.  You can get up to a maximum of 150 credits per day from videos.

To the OP - as Bossbird says, in real golf there is no rule that says you have to play down each hole's own fairway, you can take any route you want so long as you're not crossing any out-of-bounds line.  (That's not strictly true as you can cross an out-of-bounds line so long as your ball finishes in-bounds).  In WGT, the software allows for a little bit of playable area outside of the hole you are playing, sometimes including a bit of fairway from another hole.  It is sometimes beneficial to play onto these slithers of fairway; e.g. Oakmont par 5 4th - play to the bit of fairway to the right if you are hitting downwind, leaves a shorter and straighter shot to the flag; Chambers Bay par 4 2nd - play to the bit of fairway to the left of the hole so that you can hit your approach shot into the green's upslope rather than across it; St Andrews par 5 14th - if you are playing in high winds and it's wind against, your 2nd shot may not clear the rough to reach the 2nd part of the fairway, so you could play the shot onto the fairway to the left of the hole.  In all these instances you have to be aware that there is only a very small area to play into - go too far and you will encounter WGT's out of bounds, i.e. outside of WGT's hole boundaries.

• LARRYDAVID101
    8 Posts
    Thu, Dec 21 2023 1:46 PM

Appreciate the info.  I have acquired credits via the survey scenario - but have not tried the videos yet.  Appreciate the toleration of my whining.

• Duphpherer
    440 Posts
    Thu, Dec 21 2023 2:14 PM

Hacks and maybe amateurs get long gimmies. You got them too at some time. 

Never experienced slow motion in the game only when my wife gives me a list of chores. 

On PC, distance discrepencies can sometimes happen if you accidently touch the scroll wheel on your mouse. It will easily change clubs and on the greens it will change putting scale. So even tho you've selected your club or putting scale, always good to make it the last thing checked again before swinging. 

• BlackBogey
    276 Posts
    Thu, Dec 21 2023 3:15 PM

What Mio and Duph already said frames it up perfectly. 

As Mio said - You have to play long enough and take enough chances to learn where you can and can't take "shortcuts", either by using full back spin to go through trees or using alternate landing areas to get to the green. 

As Duph said - You also have to make sure your club or putting meter are set to what you "calculated" for shot distance before pulling the trigger.  The club that the Caddy gives you is rarely correct, and even if it is, it will not be for just a 100% power, no backspin shot.  Also, it's easy to accidently switch clubs/putt meter with the scroll wheel if you use one. 

I complained about the same things as you are about 8 months ago, but after learning how to record my previous 30 seconds of game play I soon realized that 99% of the unexplained shots were easily explainable by my own errors.

• SamSpayed
    4,902 Posts
    Thu, Dec 21 2023 3:20 PM

MioKontic:
    in real golf there is no rule that says you have to play down each hole's own fairway, you can take any route you want so long as you're not crossing any out-of-bounds line.  (That's not strictly true as you can cross an out-of-bounds line so long as your ball finishes in-bounds).

I believe Cicero733 might have an interesting story to tell about this 😏

• MioKontic
    4,591 Posts
    Thu, Dec 21 2023 3:43 PM

SamSpayed:

MioKontic:
    in real golf there is no rule that says you have to play down each hole's own fairway, you can take any route you want so long as you're not crossing any out-of-bounds line.  (That's not strictly true as you can cross an out-of-bounds line so long as your ball finishes in-bounds).

I believe Cicero733 might have an interesting story to tell about this 😏

I will wait for his story, but in the meantime i thought I tell you one of mine.  Many years ago I hit a drive on St Andrews 18th hole (WGT, not real golf).  Looking at my list of replays in my blog I think it was on 11th April 2011.  Anyway, I hit late and the ball crossed over the out of bounds fence to the right of the fairway.  The ball landed on the pavement and continued to bounce along for 2 or 3 bounces before coming back into play and ending up on the green.  Perfectly legal as the ball finished in-bounds.

St Andrews hole 17 is a perfect example in real golf where players hit over the corner of the out of bounds (i.e. the hotel grounds) and then finish on the fairway the other side.  Occasionally they don't quite get it right.  I think that's replicated pretty well on WGT.

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Thu, Dec 21 2023 4:30 PM

“(That's not strictly true as you can cross an out-of-bounds line so long as your ball finishes in-bounds).”

Well, as Scott notes, I do have an interesting story about this and someplace I still have all the “official documents” (I think) pertaining to this issue. I was in a club tournament IRL. The hole I was playing was a dog leg left, about 70% - 75% bend. My ball was positioned on the left side of the fairway just short of the start of the dogleg. At the start of the left hand side of the fairway where the dog leg begins its bend to the left, was a marker, about 10’ high with a sign attached stating “stay right of this pole”. I hit my approach to the green, 4 iron, just cutting to the left of the fairway and landed just feet from the pin. Yes I was ecstatic, but not for long. I was challenged on the flight path of my shot. It was contended that my ball, although it traveled straight, due to the angle of the shot in all probability traveled left of the post (no one actually saw the entire shot except for me; it was one of these you could not have landed on the green where you did without traveling to the left of the post). My response was I can’t say with 100% certainty that 100% of the ball traveled completely to the right of the post, at worst it travelled over the post, but regardless, the shot is in bounds as you can see. No sir, I was told it was out of bonds. My comment was you are penalizing the flight path of the ball, you can’t do that. A ball can travel OB, but if it comes back in bounds during its flight and lands in bounds it is in fact in bounds. We finished the round and went to the club house and we presented the matter to the guy running the tournament. His ruling, if at any time during its flight the ball travels out of bounds it is automatically out of bounds even if it lands in bounds. I appealed to our club’s rules committee. They reviewed the matter and ruled the same, out of bounds. So I decided to write to the USGA and much to my surprise they agreed to rule on the matter. I eventually received a reply that included their official ruling. In short, they ruled that they could not intercede in the matter as under the rules of golf the determination of golf course boundaries is established by local rule. So, if your club elects to penalize the flight of the ball, it is permissible under the rules of golf. They did admit that in my particular case the ruling of out of bounds did seem unfair, but that is how it works. Still wouldn’t give up. I went back to our local rules committee and lodged an official protest. In support of my protest I submitted an example every club member knew - our club president’s tee shot on the exact same hole. From the tee, the first half of the fairway is 100% straight, with a small creek and wooded area to the left of the fairway. The creek was the boundary for that part of the hole. The creek was obviously a lateral water hazard, but anything to the left of the creek was OB. Our club President had a wicked, wicked slice; it was legendary. In order to put his ball in the fairway on that hole, he needed to aim to the extreme left and his ball would therefore travel over the wooded area, over the creek, and into the opposite fairway before it would begin its curve back into the fairway of the hole under discussion. I contended that hitting his tee shot in that fashion meant his tee shot was definitely OB as the rule for that hole stated if any part of the ball’s flight crossed the boundary marker, it was determined to be OB. The committee, to whom I had submitted my USGA material beforehand, ruled as follows. The assignment of boundaries and the determination of OB areas is, as the USGA states, the responsibility of the club and is controlled by local rules. In this case, the tee shot in question does transverse into an area that is determined to be OB. However that is a local rule and the committee has, under its right to issue local rules, determined that in order for the player in question (club president) to successfully play golf on that particular hole consideration had to be given to his peculiar driving technique and had therefore previously issued a local rule that exempted him from the OB rule for that hole. Ergo, he was permitted to fly his ball through an out of bounds area without penalty where I was not. All “legal” under the USGA’s interpretation. Should mention that as part of the reply I did receive from them they did seem to indicate that they were not in favor of local rules in general, but given that not every situation arising in a game of golf can be codified/addressed in a rule book, local rule authority needs to exist.

In the WGT game I have flashbacks about this incident every time I play RSA #16, I believe it is, the hole with the fence and road to the right. Playing in a right to left crosswind, I have to aim to the right to compensate for the wind, meaning I’m hitting outside the established boundary of that hole; I can see it happen and I keep waiting for buzzers, sirens, bells and whistles to sound off declaring the ball OB. But it never happens.

RSS