Forums

Help › Forums

For The Frustrated Player: A Tale of A Hard-Fought Par At Bethpage (aka "Learning When Not To Be Stupid")

Fri, May 13 2011 5:05 AM (33 replies)
  • faithful2thecall
    27 Posts
    Sat, Apr 17 2010 12:22 PM

I'll provide some more encouragement to keep plugging away for the Hacks out there.  I just joined yesterday and after a couple of rounds (including a very impressive, considering my equipment, 37 in the 9-hole unlimited play at Bethpage) I found myself at Amateur status.

Last night, I took on the single play 18-hole April Open at Kiawah.  My opening drive found the mulch to the left of the left-side fairway bunker and I missed a putt inside 5 feet short and took double.  I thought I learned my lesson and hit a putt inside 5 feet harder on #2, but missed it long to drop to +3 thru 2.

At that point I was rather frustrated with my putting, and even had the thought of WD'ing from the tournament, but I stuck it out.  I ended up playing the last 16 holes in -1 to shoot a personal best 74.  Playing the last 11 holes bogey-free.  Highlighting my 33 coming in was back-to-back birdies on 10 and 11 (clanking the flag stick from about 95 yards with my approach on one of those holes).

How did I do it?  I went back to basics--fairways and greens.  I didn't sink a putt from outside 10 feet all round, but since I kept hitting fairways and greens, I didn't have to in order to make par.  If my putting was a bit better, I could have shot somewhere in the vicinity of a 68, because I missed 4 putts from inside 20 feet for birdie on the back 9 alone (and giving me those putts inside 5 feet on the first 2 holes).

Like has been said in a variety of ways in this thread.  Playing safe and making par is better than taking a foolish risk, ending up in the 60-70% 2nd cut of rough and making an Other.

• TarheelsRule
    5,491 Posts
    Mon, Apr 19 2010 8:42 AM
    It was interesting to read how you fought for even par at BPB. The 18 holes there are very difficult. I had trouble shooting even par there for a while although now I am much better and can get to mid 60's. The key is to fight as you mentioned for every shot and par. During my best round at BPB (at least I thought it was my best round), I went on a tear on the front and was 6 under par though #8 and had my first 29 is sight. I managed to bogey 9 to go out in 30, still a good chance to go low maybe even 63 my goal at the time. 3 quick bogies put me on tilt and I did the same as you started to fight for every shot and even made my first birdie on #15 and managed to post my all time best of 65 at the time.
  • pudge53
    19 Posts
    Fri, Dec 17 2010 12:42 PM
    I hate Bethpage...get rid of it....nothing more needs to be said....too dam unreal...
  • RKillion
    1 Posts
    Tue, Dec 21 2010 2:46 PM

Bethpage black is a *** in any conditions. Putting and chipping at its hardest. Very frustrating course.

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Tue, Dec 21 2010 4:13 PM

pudge53:
    I hate Bethpage...get rid of it....nothing more needs to be said....too dam unreal...

I have not played this course in real life, but from what I have read from people who have and of course the US open, the course on WGT plays like it does in real life.   

Cheers,

b0gey

• borntobesting
    9,632 Posts
    Tue, Dec 21 2010 5:09 PM

Good to see you back Larry

• Yappy22
    733 Posts
    Tue, Dec 21 2010 7:21 PM

faithful2thecall:

I'll provide some more encouragement to keep plugging away for the Hacks out there.  I just joined yesterday and after a couple of rounds (including a very impressive, considering my equipment, 37 in the 9-hole unlimited play at Bethpage) I found myself at Amateur status.

Last night, I took on the single play 18-hole April Open at Kiawah.  My opening drive found the mulch to the left of the left-side fairway bunker and I missed a putt inside 5 feet short and took double.  I thought I learned my lesson and hit a putt inside 5 feet harder on #2, but missed it long to drop to +3 thru 2.

At that point I was rather frustrated with my putting, and even had the thought of WD'ing from the tournament, but I stuck it out.  I ended up playing the last 16 holes in -1 to shoot a personal best 74.  Playing the last 11 holes bogey-free.  Highlighting my 33 coming in was back-to-back birdies on 10 and 11 (clanking the flag stick from about 95 yards with my approach on one of those holes).

How did I do it?  I went back to basics--fairways and greens.  I didn't sink a putt from outside 10 feet all round, but since I kept hitting fairways and greens, I didn't have to in order to make par.  If my putting was a bit better, I could have shot somewhere in the vicinity of a 68, because I missed 4 putts from inside 20 feet for birdie on the back 9 alone (and giving me those putts inside 5 feet on the first 2 holes).

Like has been said in a variety of ways in this thread.  Playing safe and making par is better than taking a foolish risk, ending up in the 60-70% 2nd cut of rough and making an Other.

When you start buying better clubs I'm sure you will be a golfing terror onWGT!!!!!

• Yappy22
    733 Posts
    Tue, Dec 21 2010 7:30 PM

RKillion:

Bethpage black is a *** in any conditions. Putting and chipping at its hardest. Very frustrating course.

I noticed you haven't played Oakmont much. Try an RG there and see if you don't think Bethpage is a cake walk After Oakmont.  LOL

• AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2010 3:10 AM

Thanks to everyone who is responding to this thread.

I am happy that A YEAR after I initially posted this, people are still finding benefit from the words that I wrote....which basically boils down to - stick with it ~ fight through it ` learn to hit the shots and PRACTICE!

APPLY THIS LOGIC TO ALL COURSES - and as Yappy points out - especially OAKMONT.

Happy Holidays, AtlantaCoaster

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Wed, Dec 22 2010 6:36 AM

AC, nice recap and nice comeback, going -3 through 13 on the back to me is like the most satisfying thing with Bethpage.

Anyone else having an issue with BP #4 do what many pros do in real life and scale back, a driver is not needed on #4, you wont be able to reach in 2 if you pound it.  I often will play a 3 wood depending on the wind.  Also depending on your lie if you hit the left bunkers, you can often still reach the top tier but you need to play it correctly.  You need the most lofted club that can carry, and you need to aim left where the fairway begins on top.  Even if you hit far left and up in the rough if the pin is back you can still attack.

Having played the REAL BP numerous times, the game does a fine job imitating it.  Many consider it to be a really tough course, and it is both IRL and here, but its the most fair tough golf course I know.  Up until 2yrs ago my best round came at bethpage black in relation to par (a very odd -1 70 with some friends after not playing for a while now replaces my 73 at BP, but I still consider the round at BP being my best).  You hit good shots you have realistic birdies.  You hit bad shots or just not play the hole correctly and you will be penalized heavily.  First hole is a great example to me, I can cut the corner with driver and have 105left and have done so making birdie.  Or I can block my drive end up in those trees or worse hook left and end up in the fescue and make 6 (I have done that as well).  While 15 is the hardest hole on that course IRL and here, there are many #15's on the real course.  5 is ridiculous from the tips, hard to carry the bunkers to the fairway, hitting through the fairway to avoid the bunkers, the trees actually blocking your approach from the left rough, and the bunkers.

7 plays an easy par 5 IRL but is monster par 4 if played that way.  The 10th pray for the wind to be low or favorable.  I have hit monster drives before, 330+ but I tagged a drive into the wind on 10 from the tips, and followed that with the best 3 wood I have ever hit and been 20yds short because of the wind.  11 easy on here but miss your drive left or right in real life and that back to front sloping green and a bogey is your best reward.  12, pray you can carry the bunker or be faced over 235 to the green.  15 is 15 but with hitting a high ball is manageable (yet still I have never parred it), but something not in play in this game is the green side bunker on the left and the drop off on the right if you miss then green.  Besides that front hill, the green wants to break severe back left to front right.  The pin we dont have here is the one they love IRL, 2ft on top of the down slope.

16, to me is one of the hardest holes.  You have to hit the fairway or barely miss, anything far left or right and good luck getting a 6.  17 fun in the wind.  18 fun is tough driving test and that back right pin can bring 6 into play.

Fun course, tough course, but finishing 18 is an accomplishment.

RSS