Forums

Help › Forums

For The Frustrated Player: A Tale of A Hard-Fought Par At Bethpage (aka "Learning When Not To Be Stupid")

Fri, May 13 2011 5:05 AM (33 replies)
  • AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 5:33 AM

Merry Christmas dorkfeatures....

I believe that I was promoted to Master Tier when my average was somewhere between 66.5 and 67 - so you are getting close.  Keep in ind that WGT makes some statement about not only the average BUT there is some sort of "weighted index" applied in considering promotion to the next tier.

What exactly the "weighted index" includes is Top Secret and no one knows - and quite frankly I am glad it is like that - gives WGT the freedom to make adjustments as necessary to keep the game vibrant.  The only thing that is obvious and easy for us as players to control is our average...but keep in mind they (WGT) MIGHT be considering factors such as are you playing a variety of courses and so forth (from our discussions it sounds like you are playing a diverse array of courses).  NOTE:  THAT IS JUST SPECULATION and quite frankly the player can't know it or control it so I don't worry with it - I just shot my best games and the promotion to Master happened (about 3 weeks ago now).

It's funny because you and I share a preference for the 18 Hole format - which I think is the opposite of the majority here.  I actually have another "unconventional" aspect to my own play that I will share.  

Even though the overwhelming sentiment seems to be that Kiawah is the "easier" course - FOR SOME REASON.... I actually do better at Bethpage.   I got my Bethpage Rage Gold and Platinums BEFORE I received the same awards for Kiawah (Killer).  My scores at Bethpage tend to trend lower than my Kiawah scores.  I have no idea why this is.  To a certain degree it is somewhat hard to compare them anyway - they are "apples and oranges" with Kiawah playing to a par of 72 and Bethpage playing to a par of 70 - so a -4 on Bethpage does not necessarily make an easy comparison with a -4 on Kiawah.  To put those two numbers into raw stroke count - a 66 at Bethpage is not necessarily the same thing as a 68 at Kiawah.

Best Regards - and let me know when you make the Master Tier!

AtlantaCoaster

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 9:15 PM

Hi Coaster,

Your unconventional aspect funnily enough is somewhat similar to mine.

Although Kiawah it must be said is easier than Bethpage, my best round is funnily enough on Bethpage -  a very fine 66 !!  For some reason that is harder to achieve at Kiawah - why, I dont know ???

Maybe its a mental thing ? I brace myself for a long hard slog at Bethpage and really have to scramble hard at times to hold the round together. Whereas maybe at Kiawah, subconsciously I'm more relaxed thinking the course is easier :-) Thats my take on it.

I must say I play both courses equally - hence my rating is a true rating. One day I will put it together equally on the front and back 9's (in the same round) and then I will shot real low. 

At the moment I am shotting consistently in the high 60's on both courses, I somehow need to take the next step to get to Master. Maybe I'll have to trade my 3HY for something better, something with a bit more distance. In the New Year maybe.

OK thats it from me - nice talking again. Lets have a hit one day. Matchplay over 18 holes - that would be great.

Cya on the fairways.

Cheers Doug

• austinpowers2001
    34 Posts
    Tue, Feb 9 2010 6:19 AM

Thank you for that very inspiring story AtlantaCoaster. I don't see myself ever shooting par on Bethpage... but if I could hit more greens it would help me shoot a better score. Does anyone have tips??? If so they are graciously appriciated.

• UKCats
    165 Posts
    Mon, Feb 15 2010 7:05 PM

I had a similar experience. I started -2 through 4 and then doubled 5. I got all pars until the 15th. I birdied that. Pared the 16th. Bogeyed the 17th and 18th. Missed a 8 footer that lipped out to finish at +1.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Mon, Feb 15 2010 10:47 PM

Great post!

It does make one think about why we keep making mistakes over and over again. But, its a game of experience and keeping good mental notes or manual notes on paper.

Things ive learned lately: I dont put left to right as well as right to left. With that fact in my mind, I try to find the level putts with the least amount of break possible and try if all else fails, to leave a right to left put.

Fact number 2:

Im learning how to hit my drives better distances trying to create less awkward between club distances and giving myself more useful full shots.

Errors, bad judgment and 3 putts create lousy rounds of golf.

Good thinking and preperation lead to good scores..hey just like real golf, but easier lol

• AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Sat, Mar 20 2010 7:08 AM

Thanks for all your replies to this post, even many months later.

I am always interested at the amount of feedback I receive on this - not just in the FORUMS - but also when chatting with other players during Multi-Player games who seem to remember it.

I wanted it to be useful and clearly many seem to have read it and taken some points from it - so great!

Regards, AtlantaCoaster

• rehill
    431 Posts
    Thu, Mar 25 2010 11:11 PM

Good read!

• ripp70
    3 Posts
    Fri, Mar 26 2010 4:31 AM
    I am Frustrated too. I like this game but how can you score on Bethpage when u r driving 200. I can't upgrade on driver because im amature. my putting stinks, if I don't hit it perfect I miss every time. I upgraded my putter but it makes no difference. I need tips as a beginner, PLEASE !!
  • SystemCrash
    209 Posts
    Fri, Mar 26 2010 2:22 PM

ripp70:
    I can't upgrade on driver because im amature

I upgraded my driver to a Rapture V2 10.5 (available from Hack tier) and it gives me a 250+ drive with the basic unlimited balls.

When registering, they give you a "default" average of 150 and your average will go up since it is supposed to be calculated with the best 10 of your last 14 rounds (see these threads about it)

Average Issue

lower my score and practice for putting

Your score is around 80, you should move to Pro soon and have access to better equipment. For the putting, I have my issues too! But this thread help me a bit:

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/559.aspx

Cheers!

Rob

• AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Sat, Mar 27 2010 6:32 AM

Ummm...ripp....

You have been a member here for about 11 days.  It takes PRACTICE above all else.  I joined in February 2009 and did not reach Master level until December 2009.  Be prepared for a longer haul to improve your game or you will only have frustration.  Play your best game (this takes some months) with the gear you have before fussing with upgrading to clubs that may not be right for you.  KNOW YOUR GAME and KNOW where your deficiencies are before you upgrade - and this ONLY comes with ALOT of practice.

Upgrade too soon will only breed more frustration.

- AtlantaCoaster

RSS