Forums

Help › Forums

To CHAT or not to CHAT....

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jan 17 2024 4:21 AM (8 replies)
  • Squatch031
    172 Posts
    Sun, Aug 6 2023 8:54 AM

I have gotten to the point where I have my Chat turned off all of the time.  Biggest reason is to avoid jerks and mindless accolades........NP, NS, TY, etc., especially in AS games.  Also try and concentrate as I strive to improve my game every time I play and get distracted by chatting.  On the other hand, I have had some games where I get into a meaningful, productive discussion with my opponent so I am torn and don't want to be rude for not chatting.  Anyone else turn off chat?

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Sun, Aug 6 2023 12:34 PM

Squatch031:

I have gotten to the point where I have my Chat turned off all of the time.  Biggest reason is to avoid jerks and mindless accolades........NP, NS, TY, etc., especially in AS games.  Also try and concentrate as I strive to improve my game every time I play and get distracted by chatting.  On the other hand, I have had some games where I get into a meaningful, productive discussion with my opponent so I am torn and don't want to be rude for not chatting.  Anyone else turn off chat?

It's odd that you choose to improve your game through the AS format given you don't like to chat. It's been my experience that most would choose stroke or practice rounds to accomplish this. I've always considered AS to be a sociable forum where discourse between the players was at a premium. Balance the teams as much as possible and simply enjoy the game and the company.:)

• PureGro1
    1,656 Posts
    Sun, Aug 6 2023 3:03 PM

ct690911:
    It's odd that you choose to improve your game through the AS format given you don't like to chat. It's been my experience that most would choose stroke or practice rounds to accomplish this. I've always considered AS to be a sociable forum where discourse between the players was at a premium. Balance the teams as much as possible and simply enjoy the game and the company.:)

+1000

Possibly one of the craziest takes I've ever heard is to play multiplayer to improve your game, while turning off chat...

• Squatch031
    172 Posts
    Thu, Aug 10 2023 9:37 AM

I am retired and have health issues so I play 10-12 hours a day and play a little of everything to break up the monotony.  I like AS occasionally but really tired of the NS, NP, TY, etc.....no substantive conversations. I started in October of last year and have achieved Legend, level 95.  Have won numerous FREE bracket tournaments but stay away from money tournaments for now.  Tried a couple and quickly realized that is where all the sharks are. Maybe a couple of more years of practice before competing for money......if I make it that long.

• PureGro1
    1,656 Posts
    Fri, Aug 11 2023 7:57 AM

Squatch031:
    I like AS occasionally but really tired of the NS, NP, TY, etc.....no substantive conversations.

Have you looked at Discord? truly a better way to converse, 90sec timer and trying not to chat while someone is actively working out their shot make trying to have conversations over a chat box very hard.

• SamSpayed
    4,902 Posts
    Fri, Aug 11 2023 10:58 AM

ct690911:
    I've always considered AS to be a sociable forum where discourse between the players was at a premium. Balance the teams as much as possible and simply enjoy the game and the company.:)

Exactly.  AS is designed to be a social game format.  I'm trying to figure out why somebody who has no friends and doesn't want to chat would want to play AS to begin with.  It doesn't seem to make any sense.

• tramilleo
    1,869 Posts
    Fri, Aug 11 2023 11:41 AM

SamSpayed:

ct690911:
    I've always considered AS to be a sociable forum where discourse between the players was at a premium. Balance the teams as much as possible and simply enjoy the game and the company.:)

Exactly.  AS is designed to be a social game format.  I'm trying to figure out why somebody who has no friends and doesn't want to chat would want to play AS to begin with.  It doesn't seem to make any sense.

my thoughts exactly, playing alone would seem to be a better format to improve play, that or practice rounds

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Sun, Jan 14 2024 11:52 AM
    Squatch031:

I keep the chat on and chat with full words. More times than not, the round ends up being fun with everyone interacting. I’ve discovered that it usually only takes one person in the group being human to slowly turn the “NS” and “GB” into “hellavu shot!” and gr8 bird”. Not always, but more times than not. And if no one is in the mood to be social, that’s ok too. I’m going to be me regardless.
  • MattyNic0
    28 Posts
    Wed, Jan 17 2024 4:21 AM

When I started the game I used to say hi and occasionally chat but I found it off-putting so have now disabled it.  I certainly don't miss it so it'll stay disabled.   

RSS