Forums

Help › Forums

NEW MATH?!

Fri, Jun 16 2023 10:02 AM (34 replies)
  • SamSpayed
    4,902 Posts
    Thu, Jun 15 2023 12:28 PM

BlackBogey:
    Maybe next step is to research how to record games so I'd have some video to back me up next time this happens.

If you're using Windows, Win+G will bring up Xbox Game Bar (built into Windows), which will allow you to click a button to save a video clip of the last 30 seconds of your game.  You can Google how to use it if you want more details.

• Duphpherer
    440 Posts
    Thu, Jun 15 2023 2:27 PM

SamSpayed:

If you're using Windows, Win+G will bring up Xbox Game Bar (built into Windows), which will allow you to click a button to save a video clip of the last 30 seconds of your game.  You can Google how to use it if you want more details.

Win+Alt+G will automatically record last 30 seconds. I use this every time there's an unexpected shot result. For me to justify whether it was my error or game fluke. Vast majority it's me. 

I used it today to help explain why my 80 yd approach shot went 10 feet left. It started left and went left and still didn't see why. It was like in a real golf sim when the ball is above your feet and ball flight starts left, but we know that doesn't apply in WGT. 

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Thu, Jun 15 2023 4:53 PM

Duphpherer:

I used it today to help explain why my 80 yd approach shot went 10 feet left. It started left and went left and still didn't see why. It was like in a real golf sim when the ball is above your feet and ball flight starts left, but we know that doesn't apply in WGT. 

Most likely it was because you were aiming on top of a mound or bunker in front of you instead of aiming with the marker pin-high.

• BlackBogey
    278 Posts
    Thu, Jun 15 2023 5:50 PM

Duphpherer:

SamSpayed:

Win+Alt+G will automatically record last 30 seconds. I use this every time there's an unexpected shot result. For me to justify whether it was my error or game fluke. Vast majority it's me. 

Great information gents!  I will definitely utilize this. Like Duphpherer says, can be used to analyze shots where you just think it was your miscalculation on your part to maybe know how to play the shot differently next time.

• BlackBogey
    278 Posts
    Thu, Jun 15 2023 5:54 PM

fmagnets:

When selecting a putter scale, are you changing the scales with your scroll wheel or by manually clicking?

Manually clicking.  I do my calculation, decide which scale to use based on "if it can get away from me" or I "need to add a little extra", and then click the scale up or down.  I have on occasion accidentally scrolled, but not 4 times in a row.

• BlackBogey
    278 Posts
    Thu, Jun 15 2023 6:18 PM

PureGro1:

BlackBogey:
    in what you describe I would expect the ball

with all due respect, this is part of the problem. what You Expect is not happening on a majority of your putts, your stats show that you are mis-reading a lot of putts- 

This is not meant to be a knock on you, just a FYI that hearing what happened and looking at your stats would lead one more toward user error than anything else.

BlackBogey:
    Last night was a back 9 CC tournament @ PGA Nat, Champ tees/greens, moderate winds.  I was -4 through 8 holes and looking at a makeable eagle putt on the last, gimme birdie at worst.  I only mention this to show I do 'sort of" know how the game works and how to play.  And while I'm not immune to a lapses in judgement, or not paying close enough attention, or bumping the scroll wheel, this is not the case 4 consecutive putts in a row on 3 different holes over the course of 2 days.

This doesn't show anything, look at your putting stats (approach distance as well) and that will tell you the "hole" story. 

Agreed, I'm not a good putter, especially at reading breaks.  So you think this explains a 14' putt with nominal elevation change hit @ <25% on a 15' scale going 28'?  Or a 5' putt hit <25% on 15' scale ramping off the back of the hole and going 20' past?

I'm here for help, not to argue my stats, and would love to hear your thoughts on how this is possible?  As you've pointed out I need help.  I have a tendency to come off as a smart-a**, but totally not the case here - I'd really appreciate your input on how hard you would hit a 5' putt with -1" elevation that breaks slightly R->L?  Dot speed for full grid was about 10 as I recall.

• Duphpherer
    440 Posts
    Thu, Jun 15 2023 7:58 PM

fmagnets:

Duphpherer:

Most likely it was because you were aiming on top of a mound or bunker in front of you instead of aiming with the marker pin-high.

Nothing in my way, it was a short shot, so it surprised me by taking off left then a small breeze carried it further left. 

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/73xguzi1eqje2nitxhjdd/WGT-Golf-2023-06-15-13-07-12.mp4?dl=0&rlkey=x4p1n4iymoccu3yxpf4fyojeo

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Fri, Jun 16 2023 6:04 AM

Seems like a perfectly normal result to me. You weren't aiming quite far enough for the wind, and you also missed the ding left. Plus it only landed about 7ft left pin high, then bounced on a little to end up 10ft away.

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Fri, Jun 16 2023 6:54 AM

fmagnets:

Seems like a perfectly normal result to me. You weren't aiming quite far enough for the wind, and you also missed the ding left. Plus it only landed about 7ft left pin high, then bounced on a little to end up 10ft away.

Yup...would have been a nice 3-putt for me:)

• PureGro1
    1,656 Posts
    Fri, Jun 16 2023 7:47 AM

BlackBogey:

Agreed, I'm not a good putter, especially at reading breaks.  So you think this explains a 14' putt with nominal elevation change hit @ <25% on a 15' scale going 28'?  Or a 5' putt hit <25% on 15' scale ramping off the back of the hole and going 20' past?

It would be near impossible for anyone to say one way or another, I just know how touchy certain C13 greens can be and how many I personally have messed up on and seen other very good putters make a mistake in these situations. 

BlackBogey:

I'm here for help, not to argue my stats,

Understood, I only look at or mention stats because they are a full window into what's happening. This is how I personally gauged my putting progress was by checking my stats- see if my %s were rising or falling.

BlackBogey:
    and would love to hear your thoughts on how this is possible?  As you've pointed out I need help.  I have a tendency to come off as a smart-a**, but totally not the case here - I'd really appreciate your input on how hard you would hit a 5' putt with -1" elevation that breaks slightly R->L?  Dot speed for full grid was about 10 as I recall.

I think recording your shots is a great idea, I would also see if a good putter from your club would do a screen share with you on discord- they can see what your doing and you get to see how they are setting up these putts. I would offer to do this with you and can but this is a busy time of year for me and would have tough time getting together with you.

The putt you describe to me sounds like a "slammer", one that needs a solid hit and if it goes in no worries, but if it misses it will end up god knows where...

To answer your question...I would hit "MOST" 5ft putts with 1" down and any break at all for about 5-5.5 foot. Knowing that if it misses or lips out it could easily end up 5-10 ft away from the cup, Which for me is a 30' scale and I can't give a % for that as I just have a spot I call 5ft on the putter pal.

PS- You really don't have that many ranked rounds and nowhere to go but up, I would personally work on the things you can control- there are anomalies but there very few and far between. 

RSS