Forums

Help › Forums

Conspiracy Theory

Sun, Oct 30 2022 6:16 PM (123 replies)
  • Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Tue, Oct 25 2022 11:59 AM

craigswan:

WGT has stated that they do not use VEM  at this time....

Can you post this statement? (this is the second time you said it)

And then i will post you WGT's answer why they HAVE to use VEM.

• craigswan
    30,970 Posts
    Tue, Oct 25 2022 1:58 PM

I bow to your superior knowledge .

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Tue, Oct 25 2022 2:04 PM

Yiannis1970:

Lol, please not again.  The trouble is different people mean different things by vem.  If you mean variance and forgiveness, then yes it's on.  It's built into every piece of equipment.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Tue, Oct 25 2022 2:15 PM

I'm not going to find then all, here are a couple.

WGTadmin

To clarify, there is no "behind the curtain" tweaking of the equipment based on a player's skill. The performance characteristics of the equipment is made visible in the Pro Shop.  As you move up tiers, you get access to equipment that performs differently, and you're in control of what equipment you use.

WGT does not change the performance of existing clubs based on the play of the individual using it.

To me that says what they are using from the patent is the stuff we all see, principally precision and forgiveness.

Automatically adapting a virtual equipment model associated with the virtual equipment to reflect the determined user skill level.

This means that the gear can be altered to suit my game, yes?

Actually, no. It means that we are able to make changes to existing properties of items. That's it. There is zero implication that this patent means we have the capability to sell the same item that offers X to two players, and then go in and change the properties for only one of those players, making one item give X and one give Y.

Stay classy,

-WGTpizza

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Tue, Oct 25 2022 3:00 PM

craigswan:

I bow to your superior knowledge .

Thank you my dear favorite troll.

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Tue, Oct 25 2022 3:03 PM

DodgyPutter:

Yiannis1970:

Lol, please not again.  The trouble is different people mean different things by vem.  If you mean variance and forgiveness, then yes it's on.  It's built into every piece of equipment.

No worries. I was talking for an hour about VEM the other day on Bert's corner, reading and trying to figure out the pattent.

• TheDudemeister69
    1,564 Posts
    Wed, Oct 26 2022 7:57 AM

pdb1:
    Did you ever notice especially the first few rounds of a new course . Or a course that has always been there . But you never played it before ? It seems like all your mapping goes out the window . It isn't until a half a dozen or a dozen rounds that you begin to get really dialed in .

I would tend to disagree with that statement, based solely on my own (limited) experience.  I have not been playing this game long enough to have been here when most of the courses were new, however I was here when Torrey and PGA National came out.

I found that Torrey didn't have too many quirks, and it didn't take me a bunch of rounds to get dialed into the course.  And PGA?  I killed that course the very first time I played it - no need to get dialed in.  In fact, the day that PGA came out, I played 9 holes and shot 26 for my first round on that course, then followed that with a 57 for the full 18 holes (both in tier conditions).  There was no magic algorithms that needed to get me dialed in to the course.  The course played true and accurate, and all my mapping worked perfectly.

It has more to do with how accurately the course has been modelled.  I find that PGA is modelled quite accurately, and therefore it played well "out of the box".  Torrey is similar, though there are a few quirks (like getting the distance right for the tee shot on #3) - that is more a problem with inaccurate modelling than some magic force getting anyone dialed in to the course.

Sure, lots of courses/green have quirks and inconsistencies with the modelling, and players adapt to them, but that is the player doing that, not the game (and the player may not even be conscious of it).

There are, of course, likely many situations where WGT has (behind the scenes) tweaked the modelling of new courses, based on feedback.  When that happens, no one is getting dialed in to the course.  The course is getting adjusted to play better.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Wed, Oct 26 2022 2:34 PM

Yiannis I'm pretty sure it's something we're not going to agree on but I do respect what you say, and was going to have a listen, but I couldn't see a link on "Bert's corner".

RSS