Forums

Help › Forums

Frustrated - Purchased WGT Balls

Wed, Dec 16 2009 4:51 PM (6 replies)
  • GolfDum
    396 Posts
    Tue, Dec 15 2009 6:53 PM

WGT: Please explain something to me. About a week ago, I switched from purchased balls in the pro shop to using the free balls. My reason behind this is that I have been playing tons of matches by myself, getting near the green, making practice chips or pitches onto the green and knocking the ball back off again, just to do it over. I didn't see much sense in using extra distance / extra spin balls up at 52 cents a sleeve to do so.

Although my short game has gotten better by doing this, I noticed something last night that made me pretty unhappy.

Almost every evening, a friend of mine invites me to play a game or two with him and I do so for fun. My game this past week has gotten worse (when i play with him) than it's been in a long time. I haven't been able to control the meter at all. I had gotten to where hitting near the "excellent" mark was almost natural to me WITH the purchased balls. Now, i struggle even on the easiest 5' putt. Not to mention trying to hit a Master G10 driver.

It had never occurred to me until last night when I re-equipped my purchased balls what my problem had been.

As you imagine though, now my game has suffered even further, I have to get used to the new meter speed again of the purchased balls.

The balls I always purchase are:

3 Pack of WGT Tour-S Balls (Red)
    52 credits
    These balls will give you increased spin and distance (only for Pro+).
    2 marks of spin.
    1 mark of distance.
    0 marks of feel.
    1.5 marks of durability.

Where does that say ANYTHING about meter speed? It doesn't at all. Had I know it affected meter speed in the first place, I'd have have chosen another balls to purchase..

Now, I realize this could be a simple mistake on WGT's end.
    1. Maybe they are marked wrong?
    2. Maybe it's a programming error?

I know this will sound rude however I say it so, I'll just get it over with.
    I also must ask myself if this was a money making ploy by WGT to make me feel like I "needed" those balls because it totally screwed me up all over the course without them.

WGT: If you don't think there's a difference in the meter speed, I challenge you to actually go,look and test. Trust me, there is. I have cleared caches, so on and so on.

Do i feel ripped off ? In a sense, yes I do. I got good use from the balls BUT they are not what was intended to be purchased from the desription.

Other members: Please don't make this a flame fest, let WGT answer/find their problem at will. There's no sense in arguing about anything here.

Thanks WGT!

GD

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Tue, Dec 15 2009 9:13 PM

I play a lot of practice rounds with the free balls also ( as opposed my normal Tour-SD's ). I have also played a lot of rounds using up some the extra balls that I've carried around for a while ..bx-d's and the gi-s.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that there is no difference in the meter speed amongst the no-feel balls ( bx-d, tour-sd, and the freebies). Any of the GI balls do slow the meter down a little, but not to the point that it kills me to switch back & forth. I'll attribute some of that to my particular clubset- R9 driver, Rapture woods/irons, Z-satin wedges, Redwood putter .....  feels like I have 3 or 4 different meter speeds no matter which ball i use ...lol.

• GolfDum
    396 Posts
    Tue, Dec 15 2009 10:55 PM

Jeff:

Thanks for your input.

I think if you're willing to try the Tour-S ball, you will see a faster meter.

GD

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Tue, Dec 15 2009 11:37 PM

I tested the Starter ball, the Tour-S ball, and the Tour SD ball with a R9 8.5 driver and each one of them took exactly 2 seconds on a full swing to reach the end of the meter.

Try it for yourself here.  Start the timer, then pull your swing back to full and release it when the clock gets to 5 seconds, then stop the clock when the meter gets to the end.  I did this about a dozen times for each ball, and each averaged out to 2 seconds exactly.

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Wed, Dec 16 2009 1:22 PM

The "Feel" indicator for balls dictate the effect on swing meter. http://www.wgt.com/help.aspx#balls

• Flyinturtle
    262 Posts
    Wed, Dec 16 2009 1:29 PM

The tour-s dosnt effect the meter speed it what i use and i can swap back and forth seemlessly.In fact i ran out of the tour-s's the other night while playin a round with some friends and had to ask if they knew when i had changed balls.

• GolfDum
    396 Posts
    Wed, Dec 16 2009 4:51 PM

Thanks all, I appreciate your input.

Tibbets: I tried what you suggested but I play full screen and it didn't work too well for me. I used the stop watch on my cell phone and while they do seem very close, I keep seeing however that the Tour-S ball is about .15 seconds slower than the free balls. That may not seem like much but it's a large area on a meter traveling that quickly.  I'm trying to think of a better way to clock it and see. Maybe some software that stopwatches your mouse or something silly like that.

Maybe i need another way to train myself when to click, i don't know but i can certainly feel a difference in the two balls, especially when i use my driver.

Alex: The purchased balls I use have 0 dots of feel according to it's stats.

GD

RSS