Forums

Help › Forums

hits per ball?

Sun, Dec 10 2023 8:38 AM (31 replies)
  • alosso
    21,039 Posts
    Thu, Aug 16 2012 4:29 AM

This (inofficial) count is per ball, apparently ranging from 90 to 120 strokes (putts from the green not counting).

Another update:

Putts in the putting CTTHs (and presumably also Blitz competitions) AFAIS do no longer count against the ball life.

Ty for that, WGT!

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Thu, Aug 16 2012 6:21 AM

120 per ball

• Choppography
    2,166 Posts
    Thu, Aug 16 2012 7:00 AM

Requesting research on the Srixons.  I play the Tour-S ball, and I'm sure it's comparable to any 1.5 dot ball within a small deviation range.  I've tried to count, but for some reason my wife, kids, ADD, or both get in the way....lol.

Love the rounds/$ stat.  That is amazing information.  Great work.

• LeonDelBosque
    1,551 Posts
    Thu, Aug 16 2012 10:14 AM

Srixons are 120; see racoondad's profile page  

• Choppography
    2,166 Posts
    Thu, Aug 16 2012 10:21 AM

Many thanks.

• Colliewood
    1 Posts
    Mon, Dec 4 2023 4:54 PM

This WGT rule of expiring a ball mid round due to the number of hits yet you can't use another ball in your bag is absurd. Let the ball expire and allow the use of it until end of game then it can disappear. This still allows wgt to cash in on us buying more balls. 

• HamdenPro
    2,417 Posts
    Tue, Dec 5 2023 11:08 AM

Colliewood:
    This WGT rule of expiring a ball mid round due to the number of hits yet you can't use another ball in your bag is absurd. Let the ball expire and allow the use of it until end of game then it can disappear. This still allows wgt to cash in on us buying more balls. 

I imagine WGT's way of things closely resembles real golf (which is it's mission, other than generating profits from ball hits).  When your ball expires, due to hits, you can use another ball in your bag. If you have more balls then the one that expired, it will be replaced with the same ball, if not, you get a starter ball.

IRL, balls do "wear out", maybe because it got wet before, and you retrieved it from the water and continued to use it, maybe a slice in the ball, etc.. When that happens, you reach into your bag and grab another. If you do not have any of those nice new balls, you may have no choice but to grab an old crap ball from the bottom of your bag and continue your round.

The good news is that WGT provides the opportunity to buy new balls while still in game. On the real course, I doubt many stop their game and go back to the clubhouse for replacement balls.

I believe that golf courses should have people drive around in carts selling balls. I know there are "beer cart girls", so why not "ball boys"?

In the end, I am confident WGT does not care whether you purchase balls in game, or wait until the end, all they want is to make things easy and convenient for the members. They are very generous in that respect.

• happynappy2
    9 Posts
    Wed, Dec 6 2023 5:17 PM

I only play this game for fun, never expected to pay for better clubs. But when they moved me to master I knew some decent clubs were needed. So along with decent clubs I got some good balls with the set. All of a sudden I see I have "X" amount of hits left on a ball.

Do certain balls have more hits on them than others? And is there a way of telling how many hits each ball has?

• alosso
    21,039 Posts
    Fri, Dec 8 2023 1:02 AM

Colliewood:

Further to the explanation above, it looks like an "ease of programming" issue. The balls are part of the bag which is sealed when in a game to prevent club changes. They wouldn't include an extra "window" for the balls, given the purchase option.

In my mind, players who don't stock up before or during a game reveal that this particular game ain't important for them. They can easily drop out or use Starters till the end.

RSS