Forums

Help › Forums

A TRIBUTE TO OUR VETERANS

Mon, May 30 2022 9:31 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • HamdenPro
    2,410 Posts
    Tue, Nov 9 2021 12:43 PM

I am posting this now as, due to moderation, it hopefully will appear before, or on, Veteran's day (here in the USA).

I want to shout out to all our Veterans, and veterans around the world, to show support...none of you are forgotten and all are so appreciated.

My grandfather served in the U.S. Marines, he saw action in Korea and was wounded by shrapnel in both knees. He was with the 1st Marines (I.C.I.). After being wounded, he was unable to be evacuated and stayed with his unit for 22 days.  At the time, his family lived in Wash. D.C. and they had a marquee that would display the names of the wounded. My great aunt, his sister, saw his name one day and ran home and told his mother. His mother got in touch with his brother, who was in the Air Force, stationed in Japan, and demanded that he go to his brother in Korea. My great uncle went AWOL and went to Korea, even up to the front lines looking for my grandfather. He eventually found him on a Hospital ship.

Below is a pic of my grandfather (holding the puppy) and one with his brother, my great uncle standing by him...They wanted to charge my great uncle for desertion but they wrote about my grandfather and his brother in Stars and Stripes (about how my great grand mother sent her son to find the other) and so they let him off the hook!!

My grandfather passed away not long ago, he is sorely missed. I think of him often and especially so every year, on his birthday, the day he passed away and Veteran's Day.

• gonfission
    2,229 Posts
    Wed, Nov 10 2021 5:25 AM

Fantastic story

Thank you for sharing

• craigswan
    30,950 Posts
    Wed, Nov 10 2021 5:49 AM

Interesting read .

I think most of us have memories of relatives fighting for their country .

I know i do .

In uk we have .

Remembrance Sunday is always held on the second Sunday in November, while Armistice Day is always held on the eleventh day of the eleventh month to commemorate the signing of the armistice.

This song was written by andrew Lloyd webber on the death of his father .

• HamdenPro
    2,410 Posts
    Wed, Nov 10 2021 5:58 AM

What a beautiful share, ty Craig..

For 3 mins and 16 sec, I was mesmerized (and that is saying something). A wonderful tribute. 

• PureGro1
    1,655 Posts
    Wed, Nov 10 2021 7:24 AM

HamdenPro:
    My grandfather passed away not long ago, he is sorely missed. I think of him often and especially so every year, on his birthday, the day he passed away and Veteran's Day.

What a great story!!

• craigswan
    30,950 Posts
    Wed, Nov 10 2021 10:36 AM

Tell you a funny story .

Joined a ww2 forum to learn more about my dad and grandad's stories and adventures .

I was told how to find out more about how their medals were awarded  and also to write to the war office for their medical records and posting's to different countries .

When it arrived i posted on the forum .

One smart guy remarked on the high number of times they had been treated for venereal disease .

Fortunes of war .

Distinguished Conduct Medal - RCSigs.ca

• HamdenPro
    2,410 Posts
    Wed, Nov 10 2021 11:32 AM

craigswan:
    high number of times they had been treated for venereal disease .

I do not think that would qualify for the Distinguished Conduct Medal (I searched your pic).

I understand that UK does not award any such medal for those wounded in combat...I think they should...hence, another reason that each country should have a special day to honor its Veterans. I only posted it now because our (US) Veterans Day is November 11.

Under normal circumstances, I would make some joke, in reply, but given the purpose of my thread, I do not believe it would be appropriate. Too bad, I had a pretty good response in mind.

In any event, thank you in contributing. I believe, despite all the things going on today, and different beliefs and ideologies (not to mention political unrest), and the ofttimes "heated" discussion on these forums, it is nice that we all can come together when it comes to honoring our Vets...I only wish there was never the need, in the past, to have so many of them today....

• garylewisgr
    415 Posts
    Wed, Nov 10 2021 1:50 PM

To all who have  served----------

THANK   YOU

Gary

• Zzyzx01
    1,251 Posts
    Thu, Nov 11 2021 6:28 AM

• craigswan
    30,950 Posts
    Thu, Nov 11 2021 7:54 AM