Forums

Help › Forums

Real World Gold Equipment

Sat, Oct 15 2011 11:40 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • SpencerS25
    123 Posts
    Tue, Oct 11 2011 9:16 PM

Hey guys I created this thread so I can get to know and learn about all different clubs and what people use. 

Currently in my bag I have:

PIng G10 Driver - This Driver is a good feeling driver that can really get lots of yardage if you put some OOMPH into it. It feels really nice and is easy to hit.

Ping G10 5 Wood - This club feels nice and goes straight if you hit it right. Not too forgiving and not very good distance. I plan on getting a new wood in the near future.

Taylormade R11 Irons - I have just recently bought these irons. They feel amazing, I am loving them so far. It could be they're really good, or my ping G5's sucked.

Titleist 56 Degree Vokey Spin Wedge - This wedge is very nice, Great spin and control on approach and chipping around the green

Taylormade Rossa Corza Ghost Putter - This putter is really nice. It feels so good and even my miss hits go in often! Very forgiving.

What I plan to get:

Taylormade R11 Driver

Taylormade R11 3 Wood

Titelist 54 Degree Vokey Wedge

Titelist 58 Degree Vokey Wedge

Reply to this post on what is in your bag, how you like it, and what you plan to get!

• suncity28
    1,266 Posts
    Tue, Oct 11 2011 10:08 PM

In regards to the Driver (what you plan to get) you would be better of to go to a club fit/pro shop & have a driver fitted to your swing & speed first before going out & buying the R11.

The R11 is a club what feels nice , heaver & does give you A range of options to set the club up which can be found on the Taylor made website under turn your club. But this club is diffidently not for every1.

To get full potential out of the club I would recommend swing speed of around 100mph & up from there. Been A high performance driver you want it to perform at it`s max potential & the last thing any one want`s at the end of the day is a different golf club sitting in the garage not been used. 

I often see older people at my local using these clubs & think well it`s there decision what clubs they buy (but is it the best club for them) 

I do own the R11 TP version 9 deg .5 deg added loft & found the standard version very hard to hit straight & found myself chocking up on the club for better control. I ended up having the shaft cut 2 inches & added extra weights to the head to of set the missing inches in the shaft.

So best to go see your local pro or club fit first before spending big dollars on high end drivers.

(quoting you) PIng G10 Driver - This Driver is a good feeling driver that can really get lots of yardage if you put some OOMPH into it. It feels really nice and is easy to hit.

If the club feels good & you are finding the club easy to hit with good yardage & control there is no real reason to up grade until the club brakes.

Regards 

• oilyrag
    875 Posts
    Wed, Oct 12 2011 2:08 AM

the clubs in my bag are irrelevant to your next purchase.

don't "plan" on getting a certain club/manufacturer

go to a pro shop - try trial clubs on a driving range

get advice from someone - in the know - that is able to see your swing.

heed the advice of the person above

• SpencerS25
    123 Posts
    Wed, Oct 12 2011 3:21 PM

I have tried practically every club on tour. I like the R11 driver the best out of all them. I get an average of 20-25 yards longer over my G10.

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Wed, Oct 12 2011 7:44 PM

I have the Cobra ZL 9.5, Aldila voodoo 62g 4.5 degree stiff shaft, it is a cannon for a 60 yr old man. Averaging 275 plus on drives. It's after the drives that my game goes down hill. Just like the real game here on WGT. LOL

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Oct 13 2011 6:57 AM

I have the perfect old man clubs, Ren-Callaway Big Berthas. 3-10, 56 and 60 degree wedges, Fusion driver and Diablo HB. They just about swing themselves. I regripped them all with Lamkin oversized grips-helps the aching hands. I just got the driver back from Callaway with a brandy new stiff shaft. My kid broke the original with his monster hits and I had to use a regular flex until it was fixed. Ugh, drive was all over the place the past 2 weeks.

@suncity-My son has a TM driver. It's the older R9 and he loves it. Hits it really well too. It's his first driver with adjustments in the head. Is this something he should monkey with? He's only been golfing for about 3 years but has taken to it like a duck to water. Shoots low 80s and drives average 300+, maybe 75% fairway. 

• suncity28
    1,266 Posts
    Thu, Oct 13 2011 8:15 AM

@Jim

Good natural talent  - ability to swing a club (sounds like) 

Decent distance if it`s GPS marked average distance then (really really good)

The more important factor here is % of fairways hit. If this percentage was lower , then could be simple adjustment in swing or aliment (slower back swing) most AM`s swing the club back to fast  lose a lot speed on the down swing  or chocking down 1 inch or cutting power down to 85% to help`s on control.

With the Head of the R9 & settings , if he is turning out these types of numbers with out playing with the settings , then don`t mess about with it to much  you can make small changes to the loft , If he has a natural high ball flight a small adjustment in loft - .5 deg can help an extra 5 - 10 yards. If he has a lower to mid ball flight a small adjustment +.5.

In saying this , did not say what deg his driver is or if he has a natural draw or fade but you want to promote a draw shot as much as possible of the tee for max distance & control. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Oct 13 2011 8:48 AM

Excellent answer, SC, tyvm. It's a 9.5 and he has a very straight shot (now.) His direction is not consistent, though. Hence the missed fairways but when he misses he still gets the straight flight. It's a work in progress that he's attacking enthusiastically.

I was more curious about how those adjustments affected the drives and he and I  both know it's silly to fool around with stuff like that until he develops a need for it. Thanks again for that good answer.

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Thu, Oct 13 2011 9:38 AM

Keep playing with your son YJ. Has to be a great pleasure and sense of pride, to see him wax the old man. I wish my boys had more time to spend with me. Reminds me of the old Harry Chapin song, the part where he says, would love to dad if I can find the time. My boys are 36 and 30. When they were growing up, I was all over the country trying to make a living. Can't get it back. The rare occasions where I have both boys and my 240 lb 18 year old grandson with me, I am just beaming. Of course I always have to pay, but I would pay triple if necessary. Priceless. I was holding my 3 month old grandson last night, and told him Papa can't wait to show him how to hit a golf ball. God willing that is.

• SpencerS25
    123 Posts
    Fri, Oct 14 2011 11:41 PM

I am looking forward to the adjustment features of the r11 :)

• PAGES
RSS