Forums

Help › Forums

Improving my game (video)

rated by 0 users
Sat, Oct 15 2011 7:03 AM (6 replies)
  • Draklems
    224 Posts
    Sun, Oct 9 2011 10:09 PM

I’m looking for some general advice for improve my game. One thing I always do that maybe I shouldn't is constantly hit my tee drive with MAX topspin. I’m probably doing several other things that aren’t ideal also. Below is a 9-hole round I shot on Kiawah Island. The round itself was decent, but I’d love to hear any suggestions out there for improving.

To see the details it's best on You Tube in full-screen HD.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Oct 10 2011 6:02 AM

Draklems:
    One thing I always do that maybe I shouldn't is constantly hit my tee drive with MAX topspin

You're right, use full backspin-the ball stays in the air longer. Sometimes, with the wind and a downhill fairway, top spin will get you the roll you're looking for. SA in high wind help works good this way too.

What is the name of the video to find on You Tube? This is a clever way to get help.  :-)

*edit-NM, I found it.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Oct 10 2011 6:30 AM

That was a pretty good round, D. Do you know there is an option in your Game Setting to turn the hole preview off?

A -5 that could have easily been a -7 if you learn the other shots at your disposal. The 2 holes that you stumbled on, 14 and 15, cost you 2 strokes. On 14 you were 22 yards away and chose to choke your 64W. On 15 you were 107 out and did the same thing with your PW.

Here's what I would have done. That 60W flops 29 and is much easier to choke on than the wedge. With full backspin the ball is not going to roll and choking it is very easy to do to get that 22 yards. Pitching your 64W (17 yards) with full topspin will get there too. Choking the pitch with the 80W (25 yards) would work too but that puts you at guessing how much to choke and then dealing with the rollout.

On 15 you were 107 out with a tiny wind. This is a perfect punch with your PW (108 yards). You choked the full shot and you saw what happened. Punching there gets you in the 3 foot circle.

Basically, knowing the punch, pitch and flop would have netted you 2 more strokes off par. JMO.

• Draklems
    224 Posts
    Mon, Oct 10 2011 3:01 PM

Thanks YankeeJim, I'm going to take the advice to heart. I rarely use the flop or punch shots, and also I don't ever use backspin off the tee. I'm going to use those techniques now though on a daily basis. I really appreciate those great tips and thanks again :)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Oct 10 2011 4:44 PM

Happy to share my experience,D. These are a few of the numbers I use to get you started. They should get you close enough so you can use your own way of figuring the distance out. Iconian's Chip and Pitch Tips is perfect to answer a lot of questions.

I miss flop shots to the first mark left of the ding without moving the aimer. Others aim left to compensate for the natural flight right of a flop.The 64 flops 14 out of 30-40 rough, 11 out of 40-50. The 80W flops 22 out of 30-40 and 19 out of 40-50. Full bs will stop them both and actually back up the 64W.  (Callaway (s) ball)

The pitch shot with both of them is very good at getting out of sand traps and chipping with the 80W is very easy to learn distances with. It goes 12 yards with full back spin and the 64W goes 6 yards. 

These are just to get you in the right church. Finding the right pew is up to you. GL  ;-)

• Draklems
    224 Posts
    Fri, Oct 14 2011 8:29 PM

So I’ve been using your tips with the flop shots, and as you mentioned, “The 80W flops 22 out of 30-40 and 19 out of 40-50”, I got the perfect setup to use it.

I was 22 yards off the green with a 40-50% lie, so I hit a flop shot with my 80yrd Cleveland. Like you said, with backspin it goes 19, so I used a bunch of topspin, and dinged the meter pretty close to the line left of the main ding. The result is below, so I just wanted to say thanks again for your great tips :)

Eagle Flop

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Oct 15 2011 7:03 AM

LMAO. I wanna see the look on your face when that dropped. Great job!

I'm thinking you realize that using all those shots is going to help. And it's fun as hell learning them too. Your flop shows why.  Have fun with your new game.  ;-)

p.s., You could be part of this if you jump in there and bust some chops. 

http://wgt.com/forums/t/66618.aspx?PageIndex=1

RSS