Forums

Help › Forums

Community Tournament Weighted Rankings

Mon, Dec 14 2009 12:57 PM (20 replies)
  • gaoerfuqiu
    443 Posts
    Sat, Nov 21 2009 7:49 PM

The Community Tournament Weighted Rankings (CTWR) is a system used to rate players' abilites based on their performance in community tournaments. Community tournaments are defined as tournaments organized by non-World Golf Tour staff members which are not sponsored or affiliated by World Golf Tour or its affiliates.

WHERE THE CTWR COMES FROM: The CTWR uses official results from tournaments run: in the "community tournaments" sub-heading of the World Golf Tour (WGT) forums, including winners and finalists from all fully completed tournaments, discluding the Ryder Cup, and including all belt holders on the WGT Belt; on World Golf Tour Ladder System (WGTLS), including all #1 players on the four available ladders, all Division 1 League Tables winners, and all It's a Knockout champions; on World Golf Tour Player Organized Tournaments (WGTpoT), including winners and finalists from all fully completed tournaments; and on World Golf Tour Community Tournaments (WGTCT). So far, points are only allocated to winners and finalists of tournaments, but the CTWR database does have results going back to the quarterfinals of bracket-style tourneys; and eventually, players who have lost in these rounds will receive CTWR points.

HOW CTWR POINTS ARE ALLOCATED: Upon its full completion, a tournament receives a prestige rating which is used to allocate CTWR Points to its participants. This rating ranges from one (1) to five (5), with point-five (.5) increments in between. The winner of a tournament receives three (3) points multiplied by the tournament's prestige rating. (Ex: a 3.5 prestige tournament's winner receives 10.5 points ... 3 x 3.5 = 10.5.) The finalist of a tournament receives one (1) point multiplied by the tournament's prestige rating, meaning that a finalist's points for the tournament will equal that tournament's prestige rating. (Ex: a 2 prestige tournament's finalist receives 2 points ... 1 x 2 = 2.)

HOW THE CTWR WILL BE USED: The CTWR will hopefully be used as a tool for seeding and rating players in future tournaments; the first CTWR-sponsored tournament will be the Yearly Winners Event on WGTCT in December. The Yearly Winners Event will be a special tournament with three different brackets: one for winners of tournaments in the last twelve (12) months, one for finalists of tournaments in the last twelve (12) months, and one for all other players who voluntarily register. There will then be an honorary section of the tournament in which the winners and finalists of all three brackets will play one match total per person against someone from another bracket. There will be other CTWR-sponsored tournaments in the future; any tournament may use the CTWR any way they choose, but these will not be CTWR-sponsored unless they ask me (gaoerfuqiu) to do so (but please note that it may be rejected).

HOW OFTEN THE CTWR WILL BE UPDATED: The CTWR will be updated once a week, usually on Saturdays but sometimes on Sundays. Updates will include all completed community tournaments from the last 6-8 days on the four CT sites, as they are now known (WGT, WGTCT, WGTLS, WGTpoT).

WHERE THE RANKINGS CAN BE FOUND: The CTWR can be found below.

• coolswing
    1,017 Posts
    Sat, Nov 21 2009 9:59 PM

Very interesting and great idea Gao, good work man.  I can see you've put in a hell of a lot work to come up with this rating and I hope the players on here will use this as a meter on how they're performing in community tourneys.

Thanks Gao for your continue hard work in this neglected area to provide everyone on here more enjoyment with the game.

• bigdilba01
    219 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2009 2:00 AM

cant see my name there

• casique1
    370 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2009 2:56 AM

excelent work ! let me know how we can advance teamwork :)

• gaoerfuqiu
    443 Posts
    Sun, Nov 22 2009 8:05 AM

bigdilba01:

can't see my name there

Hi bigdilba01, right now only players who have reached the finals of community tournaments are on the rankings. However, at some point in the near future, the CTWR system will include points for players that have reached at least the quarterfinals in bracket-style tourneys, as well as for those that have placed in the top five (5) in leaderboard-style tourneys. @ Coolswing & Casique ... thanks! BUMP!

• gaoerfuqiu
    443 Posts
    Sun, Nov 29 2009 4:55 PM
    Due to radical changes to the CTWR that will place each player that has participated in at least one (1) completed community tournament in the rankings, the next CTWR will not be announced this week. There is no guarantee that there will be a ranking announcement next week, but there is a good possibility that there will be. Whenever the next one is announced, it will be considered the first official set of the CTWR, and will be recorded as history thenceforth.
  • vabighack
    463 Posts
    Sun, Nov 29 2009 5:31 PM

Say what??????

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Nov 29 2009 5:55 PM

Indeed!   

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Nov 29 2009 6:04 PM

Attempt at a re-write into Simple English:

"There'll be no ranking next week, because I'm reworking it completely. From now on, the rankings will include everyone who has ever joined a community tournament. Maybe I'll manage to prepare the ranking on time, and maybe I won't. All the rankings published so far were unofficial. The first real ranking will be the next one."

.  (I'm sure that's still too long-winded for Iconian, but it's my best effort to approach the terseness of my beloved favourite writers Hemingway & Hammett.)

PS: Many thanks to Gao in any case, for the excellent idea!

• brandi35
    295 Posts
    Sun, Nov 29 2009 8:30 PM

I am in the finals of the second Ladies only tourney casigue1 put on.......

RSS