Forums

Help › Forums

Was I right to quit or did I just lose the XP I would have gained?

rated by 0 users
Sun, Jun 14 2020 6:33 AM (20 replies)
  • DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Thu, Jun 11 2020 2:26 AM

I think you'd have been better off finishing. 

Your pro average only goes up until you have played 20 ranked rounds, after a quick look I think you're at about 15.   When you get to 20 rounds the worst score you have in your average is discarded from it and replaced with any better score you get.  Yes your average would have gone up but only for a very short time.

As more than half of your rr's have come in the last week it looks like you're playing a lot these days, and 5 or 6 18 hole rounds each day the last couple of days is a lot.  Your scores, with these clubs and your experience, are good too.

You aren't doing the things that would make your average drop, more 9 hole rounds etc, not that I'm suggesting you should.

I think the advice about not playing the big tournaments is good but do play the ones that are tiered, weekly pro ones etc, where you'll get your own tees and green speed.  Don't worry too much about the more amazing scores you see there as there are multi's playing them.

Just keep playing and have fun, you're doing great :-)

Remember though, any bad score only has an effect on your average for a very short time. 

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Thu, Jun 11 2020 4:22 AM

The only thing that REALLY matters about XP's is that you play at least one (yes, just one) stroke every day. The consecutive day bonus that applies to the first round of the day is key to leveling up. When you hit that first ball you are awarded the consecutive day bonus. In very short order the bonus is 880 plus 3 times the number of consecutive days.The maximum number of points awarded  for completing a tournament is only 400.

Examples:

25 days X 3  + 880 =955

100 days X 3 + 880 = 1180

There are bonus points for belonging to a country club (higher level club means a higher bonus)  and you currently get 7%  of all XP's that you earn. Make sure that you use your free pass on the first round of the day to help your club move to level 20 at which point the bonus goes to 10%.

• 6lennn
    17 Posts
    Thu, Jun 11 2020 6:34 AM

Awesome thank you MarchieB

That clears a lot of question up

Ill keep slogging away

Cheers

• alosso
    21,039 Posts
    Thu, Jun 11 2020 7:54 AM

6lennn:
    I guess I'm asking whats more important at my level, the average score or the XP

First off, some tourneys like that Championship are not a convenient floor for lower tiers, because the conditions are equal for all which means a disadvantage for you, lacking perfect equipment.

Second, a bad result may influence your average but it won't "destroy" it, due to the calculation mode - look up "saturation".

The loss in XPs for quitting one game would be marginal, 400 for the tourney plus 1 for each stroke that you didn't play. You'd gain the CDP nonetheless.

Concerning "importance", levels do not matter and tiers do not matter, IMHO.

What matters is that you have fun in the game, FUN!

Starting from that, you may waste a thought on what kind of fun you want to have
    - any idea?

And if you are determined to follow the visible "goals" of the game, be prepared for perpetual grind.

Levels will spread a lot(!), e.g. 10x your status for L74, 100x your status for L95, just to grant you WGT's permission to buy some coveted equipment.

Tiers will require you to play more and more games for saturation, from 25 for Tour Pro to 500 for Tour Legend (that's not the end!)

CDP (continuous days played bonus, a major benefit to level up fast) will need daily engagement with the game, and nobody but you will see the result!

(I won't pick up the questionable hysteria around the Clashes)

You might as well be a happy camper by playing the odd game every now and then, enjoying the scenery, make friends for matches + friendly banter, or a lot of other online activities.

Your choice!

• 6lennn
    17 Posts
    Thu, Jun 11 2020 8:24 AM

thanks alosso

my current goal is just to get to a level where I can buy some clubs that will be worthwhile for a time.

Reading other posts I get the impression that somewhere around lvl 50 gives me a reasonable set to carry for a while

• SamSpayed
    4,905 Posts
    Thu, Jun 11 2020 12:31 PM

6lennn:
    I guess I'm asking whats more important at my level, the average score or the XP

Actually, I think at your skill level, and in light of the fact that you're trying to learn how to become better, I would suggest continuing your bad rounds and just use them as an opportunity to try out some different shots to see how they work.  In other words, treat it like a practice round.  Sometimes you learn more from failure than you do from success.  

Having said that, if your solo round just becomes too frustrating to continue, there's nothing wrong with quitting.  I mean, you want to have fun... and if you're not having fun, why torture yourself?

• dchallenger
    545 Posts
    Thu, Jun 11 2020 3:18 PM

6lennn:
    .....but I'm interested in getting better.

Are you interested in getting better or looking better?

Average Score should be representative of your "average" score.  You need to post EVERY score if it is to reflect your true average.  Posting only the good scores and not those 11over+ showings will lower your average and make you look good, but when it comes time to play in competition, how foolish do you look when you can't even shoot your average.  All you can do at that point is quit and hang your head in shame.

just sayin'...

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jun 11 2020 4:54 PM

^^   :-)

• alosso
    21,039 Posts
    Sat, Jun 13 2020 2:23 AM

dchallenger:
    You need to post EVERY score if it is to reflect your true average.
    True for Legend and above with 500+ rounds to saturate. Still, there's no bad in quitting a frustratingly bad round.

For a Pro like 6lennn saturation kicks in after only 20 TP RRs, and from #26 on, those nasty bad rounds disappear in oblivion.

@6lennn: You need not look at Levels before L58 (Ping set), and you don't really need these clubs before turning Master. Thus, getting better would include to indulge the game's intricacies, and having fun!

• dchallenger
    545 Posts
    Sat, Jun 13 2020 10:23 AM

alosso:

True for Legend and above with 500+ rounds to saturate. Still, there's no bad in quitting a frustratingly bad round.

For a Pro like 6lennn saturation kicks in after only 20 TP RRs, and from #26 on, those nasty bad rounds disappear in oblivion.

@6lennn: You need not look at Levels before L58 (Ping set), and you don't really need these clubs before turning Master. Thus, getting better would include to indulge the game's intricacies, and having fun!

Bob Loblaw:  "saturation, TP, RRs, L58, 59, 60, Ping, pang, pong"    WHATEVER.  I was referring to the game of GOLF.  In GOLF, a round must be determined prior to teeing-off whether it is Practiced or Ranked...as does WGT.  All Ranked rounds must be completed and posted to achieve an accurate and Official Handicap. (in the case of WGT, Average Score is determined in lieu of Handicap).  WGT, by all intent and purposes, IS GOLF.

Yes, in all reality, anyone CAN quit any time they want.  But, one shouldn't compare themselves to other players based on their Average Score, as it is not.

If you think otherwise, shoot me a challenge. ;)

RSS