Forums

Help › Forums

Falling Prizes Pots?

Mon, Dec 14 2009 9:08 PM (41 replies)
  • andyoz
    465 Posts
    Mon, Nov 16 2009 3:59 AM

Does anyone know why the prizes for the tournaments seem to be plummeting?  It used to be quite regularly up at 1000 for pro or 2000 for master.  Last week it was down to 600 in pro and this week its down to 350.  If there a reason for this and will it keep falling?  If you managed to win one of these you wont even be able to afford 3 new balls!  

• DougBieker
    333 Posts
    Mon, Nov 16 2009 4:33 AM

Ive noticed that as well....not that Im winning anything but somewhere in the middle of the top 70 if I play well.  Guess its the tough economic times.....purses are falling......

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Mon, Nov 16 2009 6:53 AM

I'd like to start by saying this post is not a b!+(h session or an attempt to bash WGT in any way.  It is intended to provide one player's perspective on recent change and ideas to keep the site growing.

I inquired about the prize money reduction to a WGT staff member last week after we saw the first reduction but received no response. 

Disappointed and discouraged to say the least.  This seems to be a rather drastic reduction and a VERY poor business decision.  There is no way to win enough credits to buy equipment such as clubs and balls now so this appears to be a misguided attempt to boost "cash out of pocket" sales.  I understand the logic but disagree with the strategy wholeheartedly.  What's your motivation to try new equipment now?  To me this will only hurt the sales of equipment because there's no  point of spending your own money to upgrade equipment when you stand to win virtually nothing.   I have been able to pay for most (not all) of my golf balls by performing very well in tourneys and regularly bought clubs out of pocket to test the latest equipment upgrades, but not anymore.  When my current credits are exhausted I will try playing with the starter balls again, and if I'm unable to do so effectively  will probably explore other options.  I fear many will do the same.

Other possibility regarding reduction is that this is an attempt to boost interest and participation in the premium tournaments, which I would like to see happen.  That said, reducing free tourney prizes doesn't seem to be the right way to do it.  To increase premium tourney participation,  try reducing the buy-in.  It may not work but seems worth a shot.  What's better for WGT, 30 players in a tier paying $8 for entry or 150 players paying $4?  Reducing buy-in would also prevent players from utilizing a loophole for entry which I won't discuss here.

I also fear purse reductions will stimulate an increase in the big NO NO which is multiple accounts.  Many will create other accounts and go back to playing starter equipment from the up tees.   

Here's the breakdown the last two weeks have brought us.  I only investigated purse reductions in the master tier, but all have seen an enormous cut.

18 & 9 Hole Single Play

Week 45-  2000 purse, winner 360.  Week 46- 900 purse, winner 162.  Week 47- 700 purse, 126 winner.  This represents a 65% decrease.

9 Hole Unlimited

Week 45- 1600 purse, winner 288.  Week 46- 800 purse, winner 144.  Week 47- 400 purse 72 winner.  This represents a 75% decrease.

Please help us WGT.  I love the site and want to keep playing here.  I do understand the need to adjust the purses but this seems like way too much.  I also believe that if prize money will not be boosted again, a proper change would be to adjust the payout from top 70 to 20 or 25.  (.2% for a 70th place finish appears rather pointless, not even one penny in the 9 hole unlimited)  This would reward excellence a bit more and perhaps motivate people to continue purchasing equipment. 

I've always been taught that if you voice a problem with something you'd better provide suggestions on improving it.  That's what I've tried to do here.  So how do the rest of you WGTers feel about this?   Please be constructive with your posts.

Thanks, Jake

Side note, you may indirectly make my wife very happy because it seems doubtful I will continue to spend 2-3 hours an evening playing virtual golf under the current payout structure!  :)

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Mon, Nov 16 2009 7:51 AM

If I had to make an educated guess, I would say that since multiround tournaments are scheduled to debut in the next update that they are trying to find a new baseline for the single play purses.

I'd imagine that all or most of that lost money will be going towards the new multiround tourney purses when it happens.

But that's just my guess.  I do feel your pain Jake, but in the past WGT tends to take a step back before making a leap forward so I'm hoping the same is the case here.

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Mon, Nov 16 2009 9:45 AM

Makes good sense to me Niv.  Thanks for your insight.  I waited to see what would happen since our last discussion when the first reduction occurred and was shocked when they dropped even more. 

Hopefully your guess is on the money, pardon the pun, as I love this site and the many good people I have met here.

• DougBieker
    333 Posts
    Mon, Nov 16 2009 12:05 PM

That would be great niv and only time will tell if that is the case.......we can only hope. 

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Mon, Nov 16 2009 12:15 PM

If you look at the purse size prior to July 2009 you would notice a big reduction in the size of the purse.  Since I've been on this site I have spent $60, which I figure is not bad. 

I enjoy this site very much and trying my damnedest to provide stiffer competition to the upper echelon players.  I still have a ways to go.  I'm looking forward to the multiplayer tournaments and I do believe nivlac has hit it right on the nose that the size of the purse in the multiplayer tournaments will provide more incentive for the upcoming players to purchase clubs and balls so they can excel and compete.

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Mon, Nov 16 2009 4:13 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. We are adjusting credit payouts as we learn more from them. What we're trying to do is make sure that there are more ways to earn credits, so that credit distribution isn't always concentrated among a select group of players. This is why we also started giving you credits for tier advancements, and why we are coming out with more features in upcoming releases that will help more people earn credits. In other words, WGT-sponsored tournaments will not always be the primary way players can earn credits. Hope this helps...

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Mon, Nov 16 2009 6:10 PM

This guy has a pretty good idea about more credits.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Mon, Nov 16 2009 6:25 PM

Curious, why not wait until those other features of which you speak actually come out to adjust the tournament credit totals?  Reducing the amount available per tournament until those features actually are released only means that everyone gets fewer credits in the interim.  I'm not sure how this is congruent with making sure more people get credits at this point.  Later perhaps ,but right now it achieves the opposite of the stated aim.

RSS