Forums

Help › Forums

This idiot swing meter ...

Mon, Nov 2 2009 11:22 AM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • ShaneN
    1 Posts
    Sun, Nov 1 2009 2:06 AM

Just to add my 2 cents worth.....i'm only having problems with the swing meter when putting....the irons and chipping etc is fine....it only gets "choppy" when I go for a putt.....jeeeez I hate missing 3 foot putts coz of that bloody swing meter!!

Its been like this for the past few days, up unitl then it was mostly excellent, smooth as silk except on the odd occassion.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Sun, Nov 1 2009 8:01 AM

Faterson:

Johniedino:
    Happens every rd. and any shot.

But what can you say its "a computer problem"

Yeah, it very well could be. I happen to be currently testing the Avast! Home anti-virus software. This software installs a nice little icon, a small blue ball with the letter a inscribed on it, in your Windows tray area. The interesting thing about this icon, this little a is, that it starts spinning whenever the anti-virus software is doing something on the PC.

Johniedino, you'd be shocked to see how frequently the anti-virus software becomes active. At seemingly illogical moments! I see the small a spinning approximately once a minute, at irregular intervals. Most antivirus software packages monitor all your HTTP traffic by default (i.e. what happens in your browsers).

I kept watching the little anti-virus icon while I was my playing my last few WGT golf games. Yep, that's exactly what was happening: during the game, the icon was sometimes spinning, and sometimes it wasn't. It was probably spinning whenever WGT's game was downloading, in background, more components necessary to display the course I was playing.

Now, Avast seems to be good-quality anti-virus software, and I didn't think it was disturbing my swing meter. (And I happen to be currently playing on an old notebook with only 512MB of RAM, yet the game on this site is performing fine for me; in contrast, I couldn't make a single shot over on TWO when I tried it earlier today – the shot meter kept freezing all the time.)

What I mean to say by all this: there is a lot more happening on your computer, at any moment, than readily meets the eye. Every time your shot meter stutters, this can actually be caused by a background process running or being launched on your computer, without you realizing it, such as anti-virus software starting to check something (for example, WGT courses components being downloaded in the background). Not all anti-virus software is so delicate as not to disturb your swing meter; some anti-virus software might be pretty heavy-handed and aggressive.

My best advice therefore: just let the meter pass all the way to the right without clicking the mouse, then take another swing. I find that the meter rarely stutters on several successive repeated swings. Also, make sure always to close the original browser window from which you launched the game pop-up window; an aggressive ad being loaded in the background, or your Friends panel being updated in the background, could very well cause meter stutter.

Kudos to Faterson for this very concise description of his experience with background services! Thanks for taking the time to post it. This subject has been beaten like a rented mule, and to have the patience to go about lucidly describing one of a myriad possible causes of the meter problems yet again, is admirable.

However... just like what is evidenced by the multiple duplicate email notifications that I am frequently forced to deal with, the "relationship", or lack thereof, between WGT's servers is also a problem that must be dealt with before we'll ever have a chance of seeing a stutter-free meter.

Any graphics intensive application, and especially one that incorporates an element like the swing meter that involves timing, presents a very fragile situation that doesn't take much to interrupt. But I've found that this interruption in the "fluidity" of the motion of the swing meter is only a graphics problem. What I mean by this is: If I use my own timing to click the mouse when the center line reached, and effectively ignore the sight of the stalled meter, the swing still reacts as it would have if the meter didn't stall/jerk.

Unfortunately, one needs to be able to see the meter to play the game effectively, because this is the way it has been set up to be played. Think of it this way... if, for some reason, WGT somehow designed the game to be played WITHOUT the VISUAL swing meter... instead having a player rely on only his own "internal" timing to accomplish an ideal swing... the distracting potentially jerky graphics element of the swing meter would be eliminated, hence reducing pushed/pulled shots. But like I said, the design of the game makes viewing and using the fragile, graphically represented swing meter essential.

Side note: I'm just wondering if an audible tone would be as fragile as the current graphic... a meter consisting of an "audible tone" rising in pitch as the center line is approached... when the "ideal tone" is reached - click the mouse button. I don't know...

With all that can cause an interruption in the smoothness of the meter, I don't think there'll ever be a fix for it - we'll just have to learn to accept the fact that it will continue to occur, hopefully not too frequently, and hopefully not at crucial times.

Look below at how it recently added frustration to a single play round I had... as if the 17th hole can't be unnerving enough, in and of itself. Just as the meter got close to the "ding line", it jerked and helped to feed the lake. The meter was fine up to that point in the game, but was terrible on those last two holes. Anti-virus kicking in? Server swapping? Who knows. Oh well...

• sabbath270
    231 Posts
    Sun, Nov 1 2009 9:32 AM

I am just about fed up with the meter stuttering as well. Cost me two rounds last night.

I'm talking about major stutters and minor, because they both affect a master round significantly as tibbets has been beating into the ground over and over.

It has definitely been getting worse and there's just no excuse for it. At this point I'm convinced it's a limitation of flash programming.

There's no ***-**** reason that you shouldn't be able to draw an ever growing stack of horizontal lines on a modern computer.

*AN ATARI 2600 COULD DO THIS MORE CLEANLY* 

Please, either work with Adobe to fix this or DROP FLASH COMPLETELY! I'll pay for a downloadable game, the benefits of browser based are not worth not being able to perform the primary mechanism of the game. Or look at 'battlefield heroes' which is a browser launched game, once the game opens it is not flash.

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Sun, Nov 1 2009 9:59 AM

Hey Sabbath,that BattleField heros is awsome.It plays pretty good for all they got going on at one time.I was thinking the same thing but I don't know enough about the computer to comment on what the problem might be.I definitely don't have a cure.It just seems like a game this simple wouldn't have all these problems.I haven't been having problems lately.Maybe it will get straightened out shortly.

In the mean time...watch out for those Commandos. Ninja 

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Sun, Nov 1 2009 10:51 PM

For one day (today) the meter has acted mostly right ... the result? 28 in nine holes from the master tees .... now that's what i'm talking about ... it's a major difference from struggling to get a 4 or 5 under ...

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2009 12:07 AM

You know, whenever that happens, I think of it as WGT's (unintentional) version of "bad weather".    An inexplicable, sudden gust of wind that carried the ball to the lake... Happens in real life, too, doesn't it? Rainy weather, which we never get to see here... I think of meter stutter as "rainy weather". But I'm no Master player, I only play this game for fun, and if I misfire a shot due to meter stutter, I just shrug it off. For elite players who are deadly serious about playing this game and winning prizes in it, I'm sure meter stutter must be extremely frustrating when it spoils an important tournament round for them.

All I can say from my limited experience with Tiger Woods Online (tested on 2 computers so far) is that my shot meter over there (and they don't use Flash) experienced far more stutter and freezes than this one on WGT.com. And the big difference is, you can't take an empty swing over at TWO: once you click the mouse for the first time, the shot is taken automatically, even without you clicking the mouse for the second and third time (due to meter stutter/freeze). The result is a 10-yard "automatic" shot into the rough. So, all things considered, WGT has approached the meter stutter dilemma pretty well so far, because we are only required to make a single mouse click on this site, unlike the 3 clicks on TWO. 3 mouse clicks will always be a lot more susceptible to unwanted disruption than just 1 mouse click (with the option to take as many repeated swings as you wish). As to "True Swing", I could never even get it to work on TWO, although it did work for me in the locally installed version of the Tiger Woods game.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2009 10:57 AM

Faterson:
    All I can say from my limited experience with Tiger Woods Online (tested on 2 computers so far) is that my shot meter over there (and they don't use Flash) experienced far more stutter and freezes than this one on WGT.com.

Incorrect.  I have reduced all of my graphics settings on TWO and have experienced zero stutters, lags, bumps, jars, freezes, or wiggles.

Faterson:
    And the big difference is, you can't take an empty swing over at TWO: once you click the mouse for the first time, the shot is taken automatically, even without you clicking the mouse for the second and third time (due to meter stutter/freeze). The result is a 10-yard "automatic" shot into the rough

Incorrect, again.  I have 'backed-off' hundreds of swings without shooting off into the rough.  One click to initiate the swing meter and if you do NOT click #2, the meter will return to it's original position with no penalty, no shot, and no swing.  The only way to get the "automatic" shot into the rough (slice) is if you click once to initiate and then click again to set your backswing... if you fail to click #3 for contact you're in the stuff.

Faterson:
    WGT has approached the meter stutter dilemma pretty well so far, because we are only required to make a single mouse click on this site, unlike the 3 clicks on TWO.

Strike three.  TWO meter's (both TrueSwing and Classic) are far superior to the current single-click WGT version. Both can control the ball from tee to green with no interuptions in the swing meter while standing over a 6" putt with WGT's meter is an iffy proposition at best.

However, having said all that, let me also add that while TWO has a superior swing mechanism, the golf game is just too cartoon-y.  I have blogged my first round at Wolf Creek and you can see that TWO is just too ridiculously easy.

To play a virtual game of golf, for golf's sake, WGT is the hands-down winner, warts and all... to play a virtual game of golf for the video game generation, the kids should go to TWO.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2009 11:13 AM

Faterson:

So, all things considered, WGT has approached the meter stutter dilemma pretty well so far, because we are only required to make a single mouse click on this site, unlike the 3 clicks on TWO. 3 mouse clicks will always be a lot more susceptible to unwanted disruption than just 1 mouse click (with the option to take as many repeated swings as you wish).

And what exactly has WGT done to "approach the meter stutter dilemma pretty well"?

From what I can tell, all they've done is

a)automatically turn off putting grid on putt backswing

b)removal of flag, which in of itself, is a buggy process

Your assessment of WGT approaching the meter stutter dilemma is quite different than mine.   As far as I can tell, WGT has done nothing to truly address this issue.   They've thrown a couple of band aids at it when it's in serious need of stitches.   This is an issue that has been prevalent for a long time now, so it's not like it's a relatively new issue that they need to look into and resolve.   This has been going on for months now.

And yes, this can be very aggravating to players.   Especially when you're sitting at 17 in a 9 hole tourny at -7 and then the stutter (which hasn't reared it's head all round) decides to kick in right at the point of clicking for accuracy.   The click doesn't register until the bar is way past the perfect point, and you're left standing at the tee wondering what the hell just happened to what could have been a round that would have put you at #1 for that week's weekly tournament.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2009 11:22 AM

Snaike:
    Incorrect.

Correct, of course. What do you mean by "incorrect"? When I say it's raining where I live, but there's no rain where you live, can you say that what I describe is "incorrect"? No, you can't. I have tested Tiger Woods Online on 2 different computers, and the shot meter kept freezing/stuttering, to a far greater degree than on this site. To this day, I haven't been able to complete a single TWO round, after trying on 2 computers. There are many users in TWO forums reporting similar issues. And there are many users reporting no issues. Everyone's experience can be different.

Snaike:
    One click to initiate the swing meter and if you do NOT click #2, the meter will return to it's original position with no penalty, no shot, and no swing.

That's nice, if it works that way. (But, what if the stutter/lag occurs just before the all-important 3rd click?!) I couldn't even test this properly; the shot meter kept freezing so much. I should switch to another (and better) computer later in the week & will give TWO another try.

Snaike:
    TWO meter's (both TrueSwing and Classic) are far superior to the single-click WGT version.

On the contrary: they are far inferior. The "TrueSwing" does not work for me at all (it does in the local version, but I don't prefer it over the click-method); and the 3-click method is far inferior to WGT's 1-click method, precisely because it is more susceptible to unwanted interruptions, and because the 1-click method allows you to gauge the strength of your shot better. The "3-click-method" is the 1990s way of doing things; "TrueSwing" is far too imprecise for me; but I find WGT's 1-click method to be innovative and optimal for the game's needs. (Not when there is too much meter lag, of course.)

• PAGES
RSS