Forums

Help › Forums

Pinehurst.................No. 8???

Sun, Nov 1 2009 5:03 PM (21 replies)
  • oppy
    286 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 11:30 AM

i am not saying 8 is a bad course, i'm sure it is great. but 2 is the us open course, and a great classic ross design. probably his best ever. when u have two courses that you think may be of the same level. you have to give the edge to the older design, just think how easy it is now a days to make a great golf course by just moving alot of dirt. anyway, in my opinion, pinehurst 8 is a  very poor choice considering all of the better courses there are in america. 8 never makes it onto america top 100 list.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 12:00 PM

YankeeJim:
    They're 1/2 way there with #8 so keep on trucking WGT.

More like one seventh or one eighth of the way, I'm afraid.    None of the tee-off areas / full fairways have probably been processed yet, which must require a tremendous amount of work. I tend to avoid playing CTTHs on this site, because they just make me desperate to realize we'll probably never get to experience stroke-play on any of these great courses here on WGT. (St. Andrews being the exception.)

• pinkgirl34
    59 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 1:13 PM

I think #8 is a better choice than #2 because I agree with some of what the other people say: #8 is more scenic than #2, and I guess WGT likes using scenic courses. Although #2 is a classic course and a US Open venue, we already have a course that fits both categories, which is Bethpage Black.

• oppy
    286 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 8:35 PM

pinkgirl34:

I think #8 is a better choice than #2 because I agree with some of what the other people say: #8 is more scenic than #2, and I guess WGT likes using scenic courses. Although #2 is a classic course and a US Open venue, we already have a course that fits both categories, which is Bethpage Black.

there is such a thing as too many us open venues??? 

• pinkgirl34
    59 Posts
    Sun, Nov 1 2009 1:05 PM

oppy:

pinkgirl34:

Not saying there are too many US Open venues, but rather, I'm saying that WGT wants courses with more variety and are generally looking for more scenic and picturesque courses. And #8 definitely has more scenic holes than #2. If you play the CTTH challenge you'll notice lots of them.

• oppy
    286 Posts
    Sun, Nov 1 2009 2:33 PM

pinkgirl34:

oppy:

pinkgirl34:

Not saying there are too many US Open venues, but rather, I'm saying that WGT wants courses with more variety and are generally looking for more scenic and picturesque courses. And #8 definitely has more scenic holes than #2. If you play the CTTH challenge you'll notice lots of them.

this is a computer game, what is scenery worth. i would agree with you that wgt does tend to favor scenic courses, wolf creek, pinehurst, and tahoe. whether this is justified or not is an easy question to answer for me. wgt should be going for the best courses they can get onto. not the most scenic. and again, not saying 8 is a bad course, but i am saying there are at least 300 better courses than it in america.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sun, Nov 1 2009 3:02 PM

oppy:
      /.../  this is a computer game, what is scenery worth. i would agree with you that wgt does tend to favor scenic courses, /.../ 

If that were the case, then why isn't Pebble Beach here?  The 7th, one of the top 5 par 3s in the world, is enough to qualify PB for WGT.

Personally, I think it's more along the lines of "which course will you let us photograph for our game" type of thing.  I really don't think WGT gets to freely pick-and-choose as they would like...

• oppy
    286 Posts
    Sun, Nov 1 2009 3:50 PM

Snaike:

oppy:
      /.../  this is a computer game, what is scenery worth. i would agree with you that wgt does tend to favor scenic courses, /.../ 

If that were the case, then why isn't Pebble Beach here?  The 7th, one of the top 5 par 3s in the world, is enough to qualify PB for WGT.

Personally, I think it's more along the lines of "which course will you let us photograph for our game" type of thing.  I really don't think WGT gets to freely pick-and-choose as they would like...

You are right snaike, i agree with you. i was more just addressing a separate post. i do think it is likely that wgt wanted to get pinehurst 2, but werent able to. if this was the case, they should have left and found a better one. what they should really do is ask trump to photo his course in bedminster,nj. it is a good course, one considered as a possible future us open venue. in additition, trump would love the extra publicity and exposure the course would get, he might even pay for it to be photographed.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Sun, Nov 1 2009 4:29 PM

Hmmm, well I don't know about everyone else but I love a good scenic course...oceans or mountains, lots of water holes... even on WGT.  Of course, with all that scenery I don't concentrate on the game, hence my highish average.  Sheesh, in real life (unless I'm at home) I won't even travel to play a course unless it's scenic.  And it's gotta have a great clubhouse... and definitely a great lounge!

• oppy
    286 Posts
    Sun, Nov 1 2009 4:57 PM

Doublemochaman:

Hmmm, well I don't know about everyone else but I love a good scenic course...oceans or mountains, lots of water holes... even on WGT.  Of course, with all that scenery I don't concentrate on the game, hence my highish average.  Sheesh, in real life (unless I'm at home) I won't even travel to play a course unless it's scenic.  And it's gotta have a great clubhouse... and definitely a great lounge!

i like scenic courses, if i am playing them in real life. i dont know if all of us hold our courses to the same high standards that you do

RSS