Forums

Help › Forums

Pinehurst.................No. 8???

Sun, Nov 1 2009 5:03 PM (21 replies)
  • oppy
    286 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 8:45 PM

Does anybody know why pinehurst 8 was chosen instead of the us open course no. 2?

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 8:52 PM

Guessing that Pinehurst said "No cameras or WGT on #2, but if you want to help publicize our new course, have at it."  I understand the new course is a few miles down the road, so users don't even get the benefit of enjoying (in proximity) the classic lodge and clubhouse... or stables.

• oppy
    286 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 8:54 PM

lol, what were they hoping we wouldnt notice

• oppy
    286 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 8:58 PM

if they really couldnt get on then they could take a drive over to quail hollow, this Pinehurts my fealings (i had to say that, sorry)

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 8:58 PM

So I'm hoping WGT doesn't turn it into a full-fledged course, what with Pebble Beach, Spyglass, Torrey Pines, Bandon Dunes, Pacific Dunes, Chambers Bay waiting in the wings.  Sorry Oppy, I'm a west coast guy.

• oppy
    286 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 9:09 PM

haha, we have more than our fair share of great courses on the atlantic side also. the best of them are private though. unlike all the ones you mentioned which are resort courses.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 9:22 PM

Oppy... the only ones I've played on the east coast are the Country Club of Miami, Pinehurst and Harbour Town Links.

• oppy
    286 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 6:35 AM

The best ones ive played on the east course are winged foot west, bethpage black, bethpage red, and the course at yale. they some great courses, but then there is tpc sawgrass, shinnecock hills, national golf links, pvgc, augusta, kiawah, maidstone, oak hill, seminole, east lake. again most of these are very exclusive private clubs.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 10:32 AM

Personally I think #8 is a better course to play.  #2 is great of course, and it has all the mystique to go with it, but it's relatively simplistic.  Having just played both of these courses last week, #8 is the one I'd choose for the fact that it has more scenic holes and more variety throughout the course.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 10:54 AM

Hehe-beggars can't be choosers. I'll take Pinehurst Anything all day if it's full play. They're 1/2 way there with #8 so keep on trucking WGT.

YJ

RSS