Help › Forums

Notice any change in the pro shop?

rated by 0 users
Sun, Jul 14 2019 12:46 AM (33 replies)
  • andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Fri, Mar 1 2019 4:28 AM

DampandDusty:

One thing I don't agree with is the 300yd+ driver. With the balls available, that is easily achievable with most of the top drivers and the game doesn't need to be made any easier. It needs to be a challenge.

+1

• fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Fri, Mar 1 2019 8:57 AM

A 5yd increment from 289 would give us 294, and that is the most realistic number we can expect for the new drivers, if any

• el3n1
    4,495 Posts
    Fri, Mar 1 2019 12:11 PM

DampandDusty:
    One thing I don't agree with is the 300yd+ driver. With the balls available, that is easily achievable with most of the top drivers and the game doesn't need to be made any easier. It needs to be a challenge.

I am not going to entirely disagree with you, but I would point out or add... while your point is more in the interests of WGT, it may not be for players....

Here is why I chose to work towards the higher end equipment.... better equipment allows me to play a more affordable ball.  Since your equipment is a one time cost/expense the better equipment you have the more likely you can potentially save if you play WGT long term, especially if you can match it with a playable ball that is more reasonably priced.

If you start buying sleeves of balls for 700 , 800, 1000 credits for 3 balls... while you play regularly... the cost of playing grows exponentially... in comparison. 

But that is just my take on it...

• DampandDusty
    125 Posts
    Fri, Mar 1 2019 1:32 PM

el3n1:
    Here is why I chose to work towards the higher end equipment.... better equipment allows me to play a more affordable ball.  Since your equipment is a one time cost/expense the better equipment you have the more likely you can potentially save if you play WGT long term, especially if you can match it with a playable ball that is more reasonably priced.

I totally agree. The most expensive ball I have bought so far has been 300cr. Long term, once mapped, I want to play with L33 Callys for control reasons (250cr). I too WAS working my way towards better equipment and have been incrementally improving as I have gone up through the levels, BUT much of my wish list was removed in the 'cull' earlier this week...I couldn't buy them yet, as I hadn't reached that level (82 currently)...

That's why I am VERY much hoping for lots of similar replacement clubs (esp putters/drivers) in the coming weeks (fingers crossed). More variety of iron sets would be good too..

I think we are both coming from the same angle on this. BTW I can drive 300yds frequently with the kit I have already. No 800cr balls required.

• el3n1
    4,495 Posts
    Fri, Mar 1 2019 3:11 PM

DampandDusty:
    That's why I am VERY much hoping for lots of similar replacement clubs

It has been stated in other threads that those clubs will be coming.  In the meantime, continue working on leveling up.  In our club, it has been suggested that one hole coin games and then watching the XP video bonus afterwards can help build up more XP than usual.  That is relative to the level you are working on though.

DampandDusty:
    I think we are both coming from the same angle on this. BTW I can drive 300yds frequently with the kit I have already. No 800cr balls required.

I noticed you had the L55 driver, it is an outstanding purchase and you can play that for a long time.  While you may be tempted to upgrade earlier, you could actually delay upgrading your driver and opt for irons first.  Based on what I see in your bag, upgrading your irons will likely have the biggest impact on your game and potentially give you more reasonable looks at birdie.  

My first irons were the L59 pings and then I picked up the L85 irons.  Since you are relatively close to L85, I would be looking at those irons and they were not removed from what I can tell.  

• fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Fri, Mar 1 2019 5:00 PM

Dampandusty I don’t know what kind of tournaments you play in but I’ve been playing the weeklies; no way I was able to get 300yds consistently and my driver is much longer than you

• DampandDusty
    125 Posts
    Sat, Mar 2 2019 1:47 AM

el3n1:

I noticed you had the L55 driver, it is an outstanding purchase and you can play that for a long time.  While you may be tempted to upgrade earlier, you could actually delay upgrading your driver and opt for irons first.  Based on what I see in your bag, upgrading your irons will likely have the biggest impact on your game and potentially give you more reasonable looks at birdie.  

My first irons were the L59 pings and then I picked up the L85 irons.  Since you are relatively close to L85, I would be looking at those irons and they were not removed from what I can tell.  

Yes, you read my mind. It was irons I was looking at improving next and the L85 Callys in particular. My irons have served me well, but on the long irons I sometimes need more stopping power. My only concern is they have only 3 for forgiveness. I get a lot of looks at birdie now, but moving to the back tees since making Legend just under a month ago has made the emphasis on accuracy on longer 3 wood/long iron approach shots more important.

Yes - I agree with on the driver. It's very consistent and plays longer with the balls I use than you would think. In fact I wasn't thinking of getting another until the (now defunct) R1 L103.

So a decision to be made. Map Chrome Soft with current irons (the higher spin rate means they come up shorter than Hex Chrome+) or wait for new irons and map then. I've started mapping but there's some doubt in my head about roll out.

• el3n1
    4,495 Posts
    Sat, Mar 2 2019 6:52 AM

You are putting a lot of good thought into this and that reflects a strength in your game as well.  You know your game much better than me and reviewing stats can be deceiving unless there would be a way of extracting only recent stats of say your last 10 rounds from default tees.  So.  I will try to offer a couple things to help you digest or feel better about your decisions.  

DampandDusty:
    but on the long irons I sometimes need more stopping power. My only concern is they have only 3 for forgiveness.

Certain courses and conditions, stopping power can be a challenge on some holes even with the high end equipment.  There are some instances where I have observed top players upgrade or downgrade the ball they play to the course and conditions being played.  For example courses with severe elevation changes and C13/C14 greens can sometimes require a ball upgrade for more bite (control) on the greens.

The concern with forgiveness is valid, but look at the precision for those clubs.  The forgiveness is in line with other high end clubs available so they will still play better than your current irons.

DampandDusty:
    I get a lot of looks at birdie now, but moving to the back tees since making Legend just under a month ago has made the emphasis on accuracy on longer 3 wood/long iron approach shots more important.

This is not a criticism or judgement, but if you are getting plenty looks at birdie now... then maybe take a closer look at your putting stats on recent rounds played.  Maybe you are getting plenty looks at birdie but your putting could improve slightly.  Even if you pick up one stroke over 9 holes, it makes a difference.  

Again stats can be diluted over time so your stats are not necessarily reflective of current play, but if I were to look at your putting stats... I would say try to flip flop your 1 and 2 putt percentages from 41 - 54, to 54 -41.   Also concentrate a little more on those putts in the 5-10 foot range... those can be your bread and butter putts that you want to be making more off.  Then as you get more confident there, focus on the 10 -15 foot putts.

DampandDusty:
    So a decision to be made. Map Chrome Soft with current irons (the higher spin rate means they come up shorter than Hex Chrome+) or wait for new irons and map then.

no doubt, mapping helps… but it can also frustrate you when shots come up well off your expectations... why?  variance is built into the game... you are still going to have shots that deviate from what you are expecting.  so how do you recover?  short game, putting, etc...

in part due to this idea... I have never mapped any ball.  I have learned tendencies of what balls with more or less spin will do, when I change balls up between various courses, but I can't tell you my 5 irons goes X yards in low winds flat lie with full BS.  It is possibly a weakness in my own game and I may find it necessary to eventually go through the mapping process, but I have gotten by without doing so for now.  

Again, it truly sounds like you are thinking properly and insightfully into the game.  I am just sharing a little more that may be helpful...if not you can easily disregard.  : )

• JohanTV
    213 Posts
    Sat, Mar 2 2019 7:56 AM

To me it seems unfair to players that don’t have the L103 TM driver with 289 yards that they are always 2 yards shorter as everything currently available in the shop. So I expect a replacement of the L103 TM soon. It has to be at least 289 yards and logically 1-3 yards more (not 300+) so all high level players will also be tempted to upgrade, katsjing. Anyway, I’ll keep my credits till that moment comes.

• DampandDusty
    125 Posts
    Sun, Mar 3 2019 2:35 AM

el3n1:
    Again, it truly sounds like you are thinking properly and insightfully into the game.  I am just sharing a little more that may be helpful...if not you can easily disregard.  : )

Wow, thanks for taking the time out to share those views and advice. It's always interesting helpful to gather views and advice of those who have more experience than I do. My method so far has been very much this - to look at players better than me and how I can improve. Keep in touch.

RSS