Forums

Help › Forums

Ping Pro 64 Wedge or Emperor`s New Clothes?

Tue, Oct 20 2009 10:11 AM (7 replies)
  • mefitz
    372 Posts
    Mon, Oct 19 2009 9:59 AM

After waiting for months for WGT to release a wedge like this, I bought it "sight unseen" and couldn`t wait to use it. It`s been a week now and it`s covered in dust. Why? Because the stated yardage is So far off that it`s only use could be to open a bottle of beer.

WGT please fix this!!!

In the mean time I`ve come up with a listing of my own.I`m really anxious to use this club! I hit all pure shots, fairway to fairway except for the chip shot, which was fairway to green (BB#4) on level ground and 2-3mph of wind(no difference), all with the WGT default ball.

FULL-stated yds.-60-True yardage.-58-60

PUNCH-stated yds.62 ?-True yardage-48

FLOP-stated yds.-25-True yardage-18-19

PITCH-stated yds.-22-True yardage-16

CHIP-stated yds.-10-True yardage-7-8

There was some variance in the Full, Flop, and Chip shots but, the lower number was more consistent although when WGT fixes this, it will probably be the higher one. Surprisingly, putting full backspin on, or miss hitting, didn`t change the distance more than a yard or so. Most surprising was , I could even hit so many pure shots to test this club !! I played around in the different grades of rough and flopped it from 15-20% sand a few times to find that it reacts about the same as other clubs- ...shorter! Except to say that the flop ( out of the sand ) was only 1yd shorter just as my Z-wedge works.

Hope this helps others that also couldn`t  wait for this club, only to find out it wasn`t really there. GL and PLEASE FIX THIS WGT !

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Mon, Oct 19 2009 10:28 AM

I subscribe to everything you say, Mefitz. I threw the new Ping wedge away; the distances as currently stated are way off, which makes using the club totally unpredictable. It's back to the Tour Starter wedge for me once again...

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Mon, Oct 19 2009 10:41 AM

@Faterson-  As we`ve discussed this club before, I knew this would interest you. I think you can take yours out and dust it off, if you use the True yardages as stated above. I simply ran out of patience waiting for a fix (no pun intended) and really wanted to use it. Cheers

• vanguard56
    40 Posts
    Mon, Oct 19 2009 11:47 AM

I contacted WGTAlex on this the first day it was out and she assured me it would be looked into. The dead give away is the punch shot yardage is longer than the full shot.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Mon, Oct 19 2009 3:43 PM

mefitz:  If you're pretty certain those numbers are accurate I would send an email to members@worldgolftour.com

There was a similar problem with the TaylorMade 58 degree and they fixed it pretty fast once I sent in the report.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Oct 19 2009 4:46 PM

nivlac:
    There was a similar problem with the TaylorMade 58 degree and they fixed it pretty fast once I sent in the report.

Well, yea... you're the NIVLAC... of course they listen to YOU!

The rest of us are mere mortals..     

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Mon, Oct 19 2009 7:03 PM

Thanks Snaike, that was my first thought reading NIVLAC`s post. lol

nivlac: As I said in the thread, there were some variances with three of the shot types which IMO doesn`t qualify as certainty. I spent about an hour pitching, punching, and flopping through BB#1 to #4, 4 being the only level and open approach I could think of for the chip test. I started to test on Kia #1, but it wasn`t really helpful with the elevated green and no bunkers to work with. And that raises another point. Different courses don`t react the same to the clubs and balls...or vice versa! Maybe I`m being too critical about the whole thing but, while i feel comfortable using these numbers myself and sharing them with others to use if they want, I`m not sure that I would set them in stone. Maybe if I spent more time on it and/or someone else verified my numbers, then sure. I had at least four pure shots on each type and at most twelve. I feel there should be more to go on than that. Just my thoughts.

Thanks, mefitz

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Tue, Oct 20 2009 10:11 AM

Thanks for the reports, we are working on a fix for this.

RSS