Forums

Help › Forums

ball help

Fri, Oct 30 2009 2:15 AM (9 replies)
  • dade85
    2 Posts
    Fri, Oct 16 2009 5:25 AM

how long will thebuying  balls be playable if you dont hit the water? thanks

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Fri, Oct 16 2009 5:42 AM

That depends on the 'durability' of the ball in question.

If you search 'balls' in the box to the right you will find lots of information on the longevity of different ball types.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Oct 16 2009 5:57 AM

A few 9-hole rounds per GI ball, might be a rough estimate.

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Fri, Oct 16 2009 6:02 AM

HI Dade ... i think there are 2 different answers to that, depending on the durability of the ball you buy.  In my bag i have a couple different balls that i've purchased ... the BX-D's for example have  a durabilty rating of 2 1/2 ... and will last for about 3 18 hole rounds. The GI-D's and GI-S's only have a durabilty rating of 2, so they wear out a bit quicker ..  just over 2 full 18 hole rounds.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Oct 16 2009 8:51 AM

Oh my, but the Tour balls are going fast!    I've just played the Pinehurst CTTH challenge with a new Tour S ball, and it was half spent after I hit the ball 9 times!    That really seems extreme. At that rate, a Tour ball wouldn't even last one full 18-hole round... And I didn't notice any miraculous spin performance, either, despite hitting with the high-rated (for spin) TaylorMade Tour Pro clubs...

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Fri, Oct 16 2009 9:25 AM

Perhaps instead of durability numbers WGT should just state approximately how many hits a certain ball will take.

Then based on personal level of play you would know approximately how many 9 hole rounds the ball will last for you. 

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Oct 16 2009 9:29 AM

Well, all I know is that if a certain ball type can't even last 18 holes per 1 ball, I'm not going to buy another batch.

(Yeah, I realize some posters here said they throw away a ball after playing 9 holes with it in real life, but still...)

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Oct 16 2009 10:04 AM

Faterson:
    Oh my, but the Tour balls are going fast!    I've just played the Pinehurst CTTH challenge with a new Tour S ball, and it was half spent after I hit the ball 9 times!    That really seems extreme. At that rate, a Tour ball wouldn't even last one full 18-hole round... And I didn't notice any miraculous spin performance, either, despite hitting with the high-rated (for spin) TaylorMade Tour Pro clubs...

I need to apologize & retract this statement. What happened was, that despite my having selected the Tour S ball for the CTTH round and pushing the Save button, the previous GI-S ball somehow remained in my bag instead... (And it had already been spent about half-ways before.)

I've now played another CTTH round, making sure I was using a brand-new Tour S ball, and the 9 strokes depleted the ball by less than 10%; just a smidgen on the durability indicator, maybe 5% or less. That's acceptable for me, and I'll happily continue buying these advanced Tour S/SD balls. I also noticed and appreciated the enhanced spin performance in the Tour S ball in comparison to GI-S.

• cutflower
    24 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 2:11 AM

so let me get this right -  there is only one starter ball?

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 2:15 AM

Nope, you have an unlimited supply of starter balls, free of charge forever.  

RSS