Forums

Help › Forums

Do ball characteristics change when "hit meter" turns red?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Oct 10 2009 5:10 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Sat, Oct 10 2009 7:40 AM

When the ball "hit meter" gets into the red zone, are that ball's characteristics supposed to change? Couldn't find anything anywhere on the site about this... so it probably is coincidental, but I've noticed differences in drive distance and putt roll recently (last four balls), so I just thought I'd ask. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Oct 10 2009 11:02 AM

I always thought it was my imagination that the ball changed when it went "red"-maybe not.I would think it probably does if it's supposed to imitate real. The question now is-do you alter what you do when it goes red? If so, by what factor? And wouldn't you think if it does change that you could replace it before it goes? Interesting.

YJ

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Oct 10 2009 12:01 PM

Wow... now THAT's a great question Pugs.... thanks for bringing that up.  I would want to hear WGT's response...

The only thing I have to add is that there would be no way for me to tell if the ball reacted differently...  I have half-used balls all over the countryside..  in the water at Kiawah 12 & 17, OB at Kiawah #2, etc etc etc...

I think I have seen maybe 10% of my golf balls go 'red'.... lol...  Sux to be me sometimes.

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Sat, Oct 10 2009 12:39 PM

I`ve wondered about this alot. All I can say is, in the past few weeks, I can remember that I would hit a really good shot, and then the "new ball" notice would come on. So I would have to say that it`s Not any different. Also, this would take some pretty subtle programing and, not knocking WGT too much, I think this would be not only light years away from their ability but  I think there are more important issues for them to deal with. My 2 cents.

• TarheelsRule
    5,497 Posts
    Sat, Oct 10 2009 12:49 PM

Since this is a game and not real golf, I would think that the balls should maintain their new ball characteristics until they are required to be replaced.  Today's golf balls don't really wear out during play like balls did 20 years ago.  I generally take a ball out of play because it is marked or scuffed today, generally after 9 holes and not because of any real decline in distance but just because I don't like to look at a ball that looks like that.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sat, Oct 10 2009 1:10 PM

I have it on pretty good authority that the ball performs the same regardless of whether there are 50 hits or 1 hit left.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Sat, Oct 10 2009 1:16 PM

And Nivlac, who is your authority?  Hobbes?

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sat, Oct 10 2009 1:31 PM

Not sure if I can disclose the source, so you're just gonna have to take my word for it.  Or not.  Up to you really.

*shrug*

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Sat, Oct 10 2009 4:53 PM

Haven't played anywhere near water recently... lol... yeah... I've rarely got to see the red on the meter myself, as well. I'm pretty much managing to stay in, or I should say around the fairways recently, on BPB, and have gone through a alotta balls this week.

Not having dealt that much with the hits meter in the past piqued my curiosity in the first place... must be a combination of things like windage, poor lies, and elevations that may have led me to believe that WGT factored-in some kinda "ball fatique". I guess it would only make sense for them to do it if we were then allowed to switch balls mid-round, which we're not.

I too, would've liked to hear it from WGT conclusively, but I'm satisfied with nivlac's "learned opinion".

One less thing for us to be concerned about... or one less excuse ; )-   if anybody needed one.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Sat, Oct 10 2009 4:56 PM

Doublemochaman:

And Nivlac, who is your authority?  Hobbes?

Haha! Just got the "Hobbes" comment. Funny!

• PAGES
RSS