Forums

Help › Forums

Spin on pitch shots and chips

rated by 0 users
Wed, Sep 30 2009 5:59 PM (5 replies)
  • vanguard56
    40 Posts
    Wed, Sep 30 2009 12:40 PM

What is the opinion on the amount of spin used for pitch and chip shots? Sometimes it seems to matter and stop a shot and sometimes I see no difference. Just wondering what other thought.Thanks.

• gaoerfuqiu
    443 Posts
    Wed, Sep 30 2009 12:50 PM

I personally do not use the pitch shot because I can never seen to have it stop rolling. For chip shots ... it depends on how hard you want to hit it. Spin doesn't make much of a difference but from my experiences it affects the yardage by about 1yd. So if I have a 12 yd chip I'll take my 11yd chipper and put full topspin on, and 10 yds I'll take the same club and put full backspin on it. I'd also be interested to see how other people use this. Great question!

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Wed, Sep 30 2009 1:26 PM

Van, you have to pay very close attention to the area the ball will be landing on.  A 13 yard pitch landing on a downslope could roll out 16 yds.  The same swing landing on an upslope may only go 12.   Spin on chips will have little impact, perhaps slightly more on pitches.   For greenside pitches, on fairway or light rough I will hit it 1-2 yards lower than the distance.  30-40% I will play just a hair under the actual distance, and 40-50% rough I will add 1 yard generally. 

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Wed, Sep 30 2009 4:06 PM

If you want to know about chipping look HERE.

It is by far the best I have read here.....I didn't write it.

Good luck.

Čítam

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Sep 30 2009 4:54 PM

I have never seen spin affect any pitch or chip shot.  I usually play backspin on most shots and have had chips and pitches run for the hills once hit.

Perhaps it does make a difference, but I have not noticed one whit, jot or tittle.

Have a nice day.

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Wed, Sep 30 2009 5:59 PM

I use bs for loft depending what`s in line with my shot. If there`s a nasty break right in front of me that I would rather not deal with I`ll try to hop over as much as I can.Adjusting for distance also.

RSS