Forums

Help › Forums

Unlikely scores

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jun 25 2011 2:12 PM (50 replies)
  • misterdubya
    3 Posts
    Thu, Jun 23 2011 1:41 PM

My point precisely. I don't think (in any normal, fair way)

consistently scoring in the 50s is possible.....and saying it is simple is like saying playing Chopin perfectly is simple if you could only do x,y,and z. And believe me, Chopin is way harder than this game.

• Jedef
    63 Posts
    Thu, Jun 23 2011 2:06 PM

tiffer67:

Jedef:

Now come on boys , no one can tell me or the many players I've discussed it with that this is a feasable  proposition even once , let alone on a regular basis .  

I used to think the same way, then I did it myself. Now I do it regularly. It's taken nearly two years of solid, everyday play to get there. Nearly 5,000 ranked rounds. Close to 1,000 matchplay games, 900 blitz games, countless practice 9s. Do you see where I'm heading?

To the nuthouse ? :-))

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Thu, Jun 23 2011 3:42 PM

misterdubya:

This is not about practice, this is about mathematical probabilities, and impossibilities. Any statisticians out there care to comment?

Nothing's impossible. Highly improbable maybe but not impossible.

As for statistics...that is all they are...statistics.

This game's more about eye to hand coordination and  reaction time as well as judgement and being able to read the shot or putt. It's those attributes that this game's statistics are derived from, so I don't see how anyone can argue about it. It's black and white...no grey area.

If you have great eye to hand coordination and a very fast reaction time as well as great judgement and are very good at reading the putt, then you'll be very good at this game and have decent statistics which support it.

If you have bad eye to hand coordination and a slower reaction time as well as crappy judgement and are not very good at reading putts, then you'll not be very good at this game and your stats will show this. You can use these stats to improve the part(s) of your game which you suck in.

TBE

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Thu, Jun 23 2011 3:43 PM

Jedef:
    btw is that scorecard of 9 consecutive Aces for real ?  cos if if it is then it's the perfect example of unlikely scores I have ever seen and you have made my point more eloquantly  than I ever could.

It never happened, that was made as a joke.

• Jedef
    63 Posts
    Thu, Jun 23 2011 11:38 PM

misterdubya:

My point precisely. I don't think (in any normal, fair way)

consistently scoring in the 50s is possible.....and saying it is simple is like saying playing Chopin perfectly is simple if you could only do x,y,and z. And believe me, Chopin is way harder than this game.

aha misterbuba at last some one who addreses the point of my original post.. Unfortunately you are a lowly Pro (in their eyes) and you will provoke the same response from most as I have. 

The replies will be about our ability as players and our motivation for posting such heretic comments . Messengers on wgt are shot on sight and the message gets buried with the body.

Statistics can prove anything as has been pointed out but unless every game is completed then they are meaningless as they only analyse the shots on rounds that the players deem good enough to be analysed .

Soooo cries of 'look at the players stats' cuts no ice with me. My average and stats are a true(ish) reflection of my ability as I finish almost all rounds I start. Untill wgt count all shots played in ranked rounds, completed or not , it will be forever thus.

All in all the fact remains that something is rotten in the state of Wgt and like the hidden fish left behind by an irrate tenant it will continue to stink untill somebody takes the trouble to uncover and remove it.

• nobabilly
    11 Posts
    Fri, Jun 24 2011 1:31 AM

here here m8 

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Fri, Jun 24 2011 4:27 AM

Nobody does shoot all their rounds in the 50's.

When you look at someones stats, that is only part of the story.

Take 'Ready-Go's" for example. Many players if they are not shooting well will simply withdraw because it is a waste of time for them at that point.

Same thing with tournaments. If it is an unlimited and you have already shot a 63, why would you finish a round that would end up higher than that? Again a waste of time for these guys.

No matter how you try and spin it, this thread started as a cheater thread.

Any time you do that you are going to have other players taking offense.

Telling players to prove to you that they are not cheating isn't going to go over either.

Happy hitting

• x1524807
    776 Posts
    Fri, Jun 24 2011 5:04 AM

Soulcatcher:

Any time you do that you are going to have other players taking offense.

Telling players to prove to you that they are not cheating isn't going to go over eithe

If someone thinks I cheat, I do not take offense. It is a compliment. If I do not cheat, I would be happy to prove that I do not cheat. If someone says i cannot shoot under par with regular clubs, I WOULD PROVE TO THEM I COULD

If you have ability, you are always happy to prove it

If you have skill, you are always happy to prove it

If you are guilty, you take offense

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Fri, Jun 24 2011 5:22 AM

misterdubya:

saying it is simple is like saying playing Chopin perfectly is simple if you could only do x,y,and z. And believe me, Chopin is way harder than this game.

Playing Chopin perfectly is possible for those pianists who are classically trained and have years of experience playing Chopin or any of the other classical gods for that matter. Chopin's always been a favourite of mines. I was over in Paris recently and even paid homage to his grave at Pere Lachaise....where also Jim Morrison and Oscar Wilde are buried. Below is Chopin's grave.

Likewise the same principles apply here. Practise the game to perfection and you'll find it simple to hit decent scores. Most likely there are a few WGT virtuosos playing this game too....who find it simple enough to hit sub 60 or less most of the time

I hope I've hit the right note :)

TBE

• misterdubya
    3 Posts
    Fri, Jun 24 2011 7:45 AM

TBE, your simplistic reasoning completely misses my point. Of course, nothing is impossible. But when the improbability gets extremely high it raises legitimate questions. I am convinced that no amount of practice would make consistently scoring in the mid 50s in this game remotely likely. To say that its "black and white, no grey area" is a particularly weak argument that doesnt answer my concerns. You're gonna have to come up with something better than that. 

WW

RSS