Forums

Help › Forums

Honest Question on why People forfeit the coin room games?

Mon, Mar 25 2024 3:28 PM (35 replies)
  • JasCooper
    528 Posts
    Mon, Jul 30 2018 9:36 AM

Not sure if anyone is still following this thread, but came across it in a search for coin room threads. So I’m going to add my 2 coins...

Aside from the people who forfeit after hitting their 850 credit ball in the brush and wasting the limited life of the ball, it’s the people who forfeit with just a short putt left to play. I’d guess, since they seem to gain nothing, it must be an ego thing. They didn’t lose, they quit. But aside telling themselves they didn’t lose, to WGT and everyone else, they did.

Whats surprising is how often it happens. Do people think it doesn’t affect their stats or average? Do they think their opponent might not get paid (which for those who are too ignorant to know how to forfeit and timeout, it might happen)? Do people not realize that putts do not shorten the life of a ball?

It is poor sportsmanship however you slice it. And I have no respect for those who do it. There has been one occasion, when coin games were longer than one hole) that I was behind and asked my opponent if he preferred playing out the game or have me forfeit.

But I have pages and pages of people who forfeit on the green before one final putt. 

I reached Champion tier a few months ago, which seems to have provoked more forfeits. Yesterday a guy quit without even hitting a tee shot. Little do they know I miss as many 3 ft. putts as a Hack. I’ve also lost to hacks using starter clubs and balls. If you get to the green from going from the rough to a bunker and one putt, you still beat the guy who hits a 350yd drive, a chip shot and two putts.

In any event, their should be some penalty for senseless forfeits (being right before a gimme putt to end the game). The penalty should be increased for doing it by deliberately timing out twice. And increased even more for those who do it frequently. Loss of ball, payment of the full prize amount. Or better yet, paying the amount of their entry bet directly to the winner.

Anything that makes it matter a little more. Remember, coins are almost worthless anyway.

And if WGTis listening, how about letting us buy apparel packs for coins instead of credits? Since apparel packs are almost equally worthless.

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Mon, Jul 30 2018 9:56 AM

Since there hasn't been any reliable information published about the coin games, many different theories have been discussed. Many players, including myself, hado or have reached the tour master tier, by strictly playing coin games, with little or no ranked rounds, and a super high average. One idea was that your win, loss ratio, might have played into the equation. If someone forfeits, it's not a loss on their record, therefore their stats appear to be better.  Many newer players believe that this is a true fact, and with no info from wgt, who's to say?  Just try to enjoy, and have fun!  Congrats on you earning champ status!  

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Mon, Jul 30 2018 11:35 AM
    I just played a couple of 1 hole coin games (36k) to see what all the fuss was about. Now i can see why this would be fun and good to pass the time but i don't see the point of winning coins. What can i do with the coins except rent a set of clubs thats not as good as what i have? Even the apparel costs credits & not coins. Now if when i get to say 1 million coins i could buy 1000 credits then i might be a bit more interested.
  • Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Mon, Jul 30 2018 11:52 AM

I play the coin games, but only to help my cc in the turf wars, not for my bank. By winning the coins, if your cc wins that war, it gets you an additional superpass for your next clash.  By winning 7 or 8 wars, you can amass that many more superpasses, for the next clash, of course if you don't care about the clashs, your right, no point in playing for the coins. 

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Mon, Jul 30 2018 5:09 PM

DAZZA501:
    I just played a couple of 1 hole coin games (36k) to see what all the fuss was about. Now i can see why this would be fun and good to pass the time but i don't see the point of winning coins. What can i do with the coins except rent a set of clubs thats not as good as what i have? Even the apparel costs credits & not coins. Now if when i get to say 1 million coins i could buy 1000 credits then i might be a bit more interested.

the coins are used to upgrade the apparel. you don't ever need to spend credits on apparel. you can. but it's a stupid move. too random to pay off. and simply a waste imo.

i almost always finish out a loss. unless i get so many strokes behind there just is no point in continuing.

but also as far as other people not finishing out the putts. big deal the only thing you lose is some XP. Watch the video at the end.

also some of them may have a sponsorship running. potentially they might save a minute or twp of time and get in another sponsorship round before timer runs out. it's not something i do but i can understand someone else doing it. 

i can't tell you how many times i've exited a game and seen 5:29 minutes left until next sponsorship available. so it can make some sense.

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Tue, Jul 31 2018 3:34 AM

I forfeit, but I tell them when I do. I finish out a loss almost always. I expect my opponent to forfeit on their losing putt, and I don’t really care, it doesn’t take anything away from my win. In fact, when I do my sponsorship/apparel, run, I want them to forfeit early, so I can collect apparels, and move on to next match. Only thing I don’t care for, is when they run the second clock and the game get stuck, then I’m forced to close the app, which causes me to forfeit, oh well. I do auto forfeit when I get matched with a hack, amateur or pro, just don’t want to take their money..other than than, I like the way I play my game, don’t care how they play theirs, except of course when playing friends, I show absolute respect, and it’s a must.

• Rushore100
    29 Posts
    Wed, Aug 1 2018 9:14 AM

I'm with SlickHunter on this one.  Why do people care so much when their opponent forfeits, assuming they don't use up all the clock to do it?  If someone forfeits, does it hurt you in some way?  In fact, if I'm on a sponsorship, I'd rather someone forfeit if they can't beat me so I can move onto the next match.  I might only have 30 seconds left before the sponsorship ends, and every second counts.  What I want to see happen is some kind of penalty for players who intentionally hit the ball in the wrong direction, or putt from the fairway because they are angry they're losing.  It can cause a sponsorship to run out and just wastes your time.  That's just immature and there's no place for it in this game.

• Dynofine
    18 Posts
    Wed, Dec 1 2021 3:36 PM

I understand there are times to forfeit, I’ve had a few myself. Something happened to grandkids or important phone call. I’ve beat on this drum so many times & here I am again. 95% of the forfeitures I’ve been against have been masters or legends, there must be some benefit other than being afraid to lose. But when they just quit and you have to wait that extra minute you just sit and burn. Cmon fellows, finish your game. Still, love all you Dudes, keep on keepin on.

• Duphpherer
    440 Posts
    Sat, Dec 4 2021 10:56 PM

In a headsup game, if you're in in 3, there's nobody putting for a four. The game is over. 

QuotaRelief:

Not when I’m in in 3 and he’s putting for a four.  

• Dynofine
    18 Posts
    Sun, Mar 17 2024 9:52 AM

I was playing a TM and I drove a par 4 with an 8’ putt left. The TM had two chili dips, then had putt and quit. I was looking forward to an eagle putt, since the TM forfeited it gave me a final score of 4. What gives?

RSS