Forums

Help › Forums

Tiers and Rankings in Tournaments

rated by 0 users
Thu, Sep 24 2009 1:59 PM (7 replies)
  • Rsquared300
    4 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2009 6:59 AM

I know this is the Beta version, but there is a serious issue with how players are ranked.  Specifically, throwing rounds to demote themselves so they can play tournaments in lower tiers such as Amateur. 

Let me preface this by saying I have no problem with an Amateur having a lucky or career round in a tournament.  I do however have big problem with players that are Master tier throwing ranked rounds to damage their ranking, demoting themselves purposely for advantages in weaker tiers such as Pro or Amateur.  Such examples include users shooting 32 for 9 at Bethpage on day as a Master, then turning around and shooting 153 for 18 ranked at the Ocean Course.  Now go play a tournament in the Amateur tier and have an unfair advantage.

As some point, there has to be some regulation on how users are granted demotions.  There has to be some catch to say that if you are at the Master tier you stay there for say at least a week.  The same rules would apply for all the tiers.  Just something to consider. 

• EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2009 7:31 AM

Demotions don't happen on this game. Once you go up a tier, you can't go back down a tier. So these masters haven't got down a tier, they're gone up a tier since playing in that tourney, and are just still counted as that tier for that tourney.

• Rsquared300
    4 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2009 8:24 AM

What you've described makes sense and I would agree completely if that were the case. 

Please review the scoring history for THINTOWIN, and explain how they can play Week 37 Single Play in the  Master tier on 9.7.09, and then be eligible to play Sept 18-Hole Stroke Play in the Amatuer tier on 9.13.09.  According to what you have provided, that is not possible, yet clearly they are on the Amatuer tier leaderboard for Sept 18-Hole Stroke Play.

Here is a link to THINTOWIN profile: http://wgt.com/user/Profile.aspx?UserID=288747

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2009 8:49 AM

Rsquared300:

What you've described makes sense and I would agree completely if that were the case. 

Please review the scoring history for THINTOWIN, and explain how they can play Week 37 Single Play in the  Master tier on 9.7.09, and then be eligible to play Sept 18-Hole Stroke Play in the Amatuer tier on 9.13.09.  According to what you have provided, that is not possible, yet clearly they are on the Amatuer tier leaderboard for Sept 18-Hole Stroke Play.

Here is a link to THINTOWIN profile: http://wgt.com/user/Profile.aspx?UserID=288747

He began playing the September 18 hole tourney as an amateur...once you begin a tournament you remain in that tournament at the tier level you began it.  Find below his initial play in the tourney, copied from his scoring history!  ....HBthree

09.02.09    Sept 18-Hole Stroke Play  Full 18   Amateur   73

• Rsquared300
    4 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2009 9:15 AM

Thanks hbthree.  I understand that starting the tournament in a particular tier (amateur), but I don't agree with staying in the tournament as an amateur once your tier has moved up.  Effectively, that is a loop hole.  Since each round in the unlimited tournament is a new round, each new round should be treated as such, regardless of the tier the first round of the tournament was played at.  Does that make sense?

Loop hole, good thing it's a beta. 

1,644 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2009 9:38 AM

Yes, a loophole that has been discussed many times already.

• Crusty56
    136 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2009 9:57 AM

Yes, this issue, like many others, has been DISCUSSED ad nauseam. Everyone, or nearly everyone, agrees a change is needed. Every now and then a developer will say "we are aware of the problem, and will look into it". But thats about the extent of the action taken.

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Thu, Sep 24 2009 1:59 PM

Rsquared300:

Thanks hbthree.  I understand that starting the tournament in a particular tier (amateur), but I don't agree with staying in the tournament as an amateur once your tier has moved up.  Effectively, that is a loop hole.  Since each round in the unlimited tournament is a new round, each new round should be treated as such, regardless of the tier the first round of the tournament was played at.  Does that make sense?

Loop hole, good thing it's a beta. 

I was not responding to whether it is a loophole or not...You asked how it could happen.  But I agree, the practice should be ended....HBthree

HBthree

RSS