Forums

Help › Forums

Upgrade Path

rated by 0 users
Sun, Oct 8 2017 12:03 PM (4 replies)
  • Snaff1es
    19 Posts
    Mon, Oct 2 2017 2:35 AM
    Apologies for another post on upgrade advice. I'll try and make this as general as I can so as to be helpful to others. It's more an upgrade order advice thing rather than specific club choices - that's more of a personal thing based on Precision vs Forgiveness, Spin and of course the Meter Speed you can handle. In my case slower the better as I struggle with quicker on my small smartphone screen (which probably cuts down my club choices somewhat). I'm currently level 66 Tour Pro. I've only upgraded driver (250 yard i25), putter (struggled with the standard one) and slower meter balls. My driver mostly keeps me at least competative but struggles with a big headwind to reach the odd fairway. Standard irons ans wedges are what they are and my driver can leave long approaches so regularly chip/pitch from the edge. I realise eventually most everything will need upgraded but what would folks recommed earlier rather than later ? What upgrade will benefit most now to get scoring down ? Many thanks in advance of good advice !
  • alosso
    21,043 Posts
    Mon, Oct 2 2017 12:58 PM
    Soonest (for you @L66): Wedges! Get yourself two short wedges from L35 up and add a third after changing the irons, dropping the hybrid. Beware though that the next tier step will bring you to the Master tees - even longer approaches, thus calling for irons and 3WD at least! If you want to keep the expenses from that step low and late, don't upgrade the clubs.
  • sky0diver
    119 Posts
    Mon, Oct 2 2017 11:25 PM
    Personally, I used the l59 ping irons for quite some time until I reached legend and they were no longer competitive at that level. they will serve you well for quite some time ...
  • Snaff1es
    19 Posts
    Fri, Oct 6 2017 5:21 AM
    Thanks for the advice. Looking at the best combo of irons and wedges with regard to similer meter speeds and good stepped distances. The l59 PINGs are meter 4.0 whereas most wedges with 50/60, 75, 90/100 steps are 3.5. Will the difference be really noticable ? I haven't experience of anything other than my 4.5 current. Use will make me accustomed to a faster meter but is mixing 3.5 and 4.0 going to make it harder ? Update: Found answer in the forum (now I have time to look !).
  • phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Sun, Oct 8 2017 12:03 PM
    The meter speed difference should not too much of a problem. A bit of practice will teach you how to adjust. Also learn all of the shots with the wedges, especially the 64 degree. Punch and flop shots are very important for your game.
RSS