Forums

Help › Forums

0 (zero) wind

Sat, Sep 30 2017 8:31 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Wed, Sep 13 2017 4:31 PM

I'm sure this has been asked before but it would be great if there can be a no / zero wind option.  A practice tee would be even better with all the wind options (including zero). I'm pretty sure I've read someone mention that before too.

I just got to 97 with new irons and want to map them but for the life of me I can't get a 1-3 mph crosswind (which I think would be best to map on given we have no other option) on any blinkin' hole.  I've tried Kia #1, BpB b9 all sorts of holes...always get a ridiculous 3-5 mph wind in my face or tail.

Is is safe to map that way?  Would you add/subtract a yard from carry depending on the wind there?

edit: What makes it even worse is there's no restart option when in practice mode, so you have to keep exiting, and resetting up the whole damn thing.  Cant just keep restarting to get the wind you want...infuriating.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Sep 13 2017 4:40 PM

Good idea................

kavvz:
    Cant just keep restarting to get the wind you want...infuriating.

Only way as far as I know.  Unfortunate it has taken so long spinning the wheel.  

kavvz:
    Is is safe to map that way?  Would you add/subtract a yard from carry depending on the wind there?

Too complicated for me......I would not.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Sep 13 2017 4:50 PM

kavvz:

I just got to 97 with new irons and want to map them but for the life of me I can't get a 1-3 mph crosswind (which I think would be best to map on given we have no other option) on any blinkin' hole.  I've tried Kia #1, BpB b9 all sorts of holes...always get a ridiculous 3-5 mph wind in my face or tail.

Yes on the safe. Forget the adding and subtracting. If you're mapping properly you're looking at carry. Crosswinds won't affect that, just the direction so trust what you see. When you get odd winds, hit up the fairway you're using and then hit back down it. Compare the 2 results and do it enough times, you'll be really accurate.

I was lucky to run into No Wind tournaments when I was a Legend (don't know if they still have them) but the unlimited weeklies sometimes had No Wind tournaments. Those where ideal for mapping, they were literally zero wind.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Thu, Sep 14 2017 5:58 PM

Ty both for the replies and insight -- appreciate it.  

Hadn't thought of hitting it both directions to counteract the wind and avg them out, although ideally you'll want a 9:00 or 3:00 cross wind.

Cheers!

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Mon, Sep 18 2017 2:18 PM

Not sure how I missed this post. I haven't gotten new irons in quite some time, but here's a trick I used to use. Go to Community/Golf Courses - Choose Kiawah #11. I've never seen anything but default low wind on any of these. The fairway area that gets used is slanted a bit, so I'd always shoot for a cross wind down range. 

No. You can't just restart, but it's simple enough to exit and just click Play Hole again. Almost as fast. You'll be playing from the short tees, but no biggee, since once in the fairway it's just going to be irons back and forth. 

It's also in practice mode, so you get 15 shots before having to start over. When hitting 'backwards' take care on switching cams as you can only do it once. I'd just move the marker, switch cams and check the distance being aimed and choose club accordingly. 

If patient enough the magic 1-3 MPH wind can be had, but 2-4 ain't bad. 

Hope this helps.

• gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Thu, Sep 21 2017 7:39 AM

Is it possible that WGT refuses to give us "No Wind" anymore is because players don't lose enough balls in that format?  Greed is a bad thing if true.

• cedriver
    1,012 Posts
    Wed, Sep 27 2017 8:08 AM

A no-wind option would be great when setting up cclub tourneys. Thanks for the idea.

• Lutjanid
    697 Posts
    Thu, Sep 28 2017 7:42 PM
    How much easier do we want the game? Maybe petition WGT for larger holes? Kiawah No.1 is good for yardages. practice mode and just keep reloading to get the right wind. Hit some off the tee for par three yardages then play to edge of fairway and go through the bag. Only look at dinged shota and maybe a minimum 10 dinged per club to give you a rough idea.
  • gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Fri, Sep 29 2017 4:46 AM
    kavvz: Cant just keep restarting to get the wind you want...infuriating. Not a very smart suggestion Lutjanid. Why go through all the extra steps when with "No Wind" it would be very simple. And I'm not trying to make the game easier, only trying to make it easier to perfect the player's distances.
  • CurtissAngell
    1,213 Posts
    Fri, Sep 29 2017 6:35 AM
    I also use the Kiawah #1 in practice mode with the lowest wind setting. Use the mulligan option and work your way through the bag from the tee as suggested above. There are other holes on the course that are great for mapping your carry distances and rollouts for the 3w & irons (par 5 layups etc). The most common cross wind speed (I think hahaha) is 2-4 or 3-5(?). The shot tracker box is awesome in my opinion, especially if you want to map carry distances with head/tail winds in any play mode. The rollout measurements on the greens help with the spins too. I would suggest that for any practice mode mapping that you pick a course and hole that you know like the back of your hand. If you knew it with your old clubs, then you should be able make some good assumptions on the differences between your old irons and your new ones. I know, I know. I'm only a 66 avg Legend, BUT I never play the red tees and I do pretty good for the equipment that I use.
  • PAGES
RSS