Help › Forums

BUG

rated by 0 users
Fri, Oct 2 2009 12:31 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • spitz201
    46 Posts
    Wed, Sep 16 2009 9:45 PM

the bug is this entire game...delete, restart from scratch...so f***cking laggy makes me sick...

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Sep 17 2009 5:51 AM

For some it's laggy, for others it's not. The issue could be at your end.

• WGTadmin
    1,166 Posts
    Thu, Sep 17 2009 2:20 PM

A stuttering swing meter is usually (but not always) caused by lack of resources on your computer.  Please email us at members@worldgolftour.com so we can get specifics on your system.

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Fri, Sep 18 2009 1:51 AM

@WGTAlex

Hi,

I really question the meter lag issue being lack of resources on your personal computer.

When I read the forum posts and see the types of specs people have on their computers - then there is no way its a local resource issue.

I have a pretty modern lap top - specs are OK. I have found the lag issue on all browsers, and in full screen and other screen configurations. Its not all the time, but it is getting worse - even in single play ranked round. Much worse in multi mode.

This really is becoming an issue, surely not everyone can be wrong. 

There are some really interesting posts on this issue if you care to check out the forum history. This lag issue, or spikes (same thing) just appear out of the blue for no reason. All of a sudden, for no reason what so ever, you get this spike in the system - your swing meter goes crazy and your processor goes to max load, or overload. Check nivlacs post out - much more detailed info. I am just trying to remember some what was mentioned.

Personally I, and many others believe it is at the WGT end of the line.

Just my opinion.

Cheers Doug

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Sep 18 2009 3:48 AM

I disagree with you, Doug. Even the resources of a brand-new computer with the best specs can be exhausted. It all depends on what's currently going on on the computer, on its configuration, etc. You can have nominally great hardware, but if it's misconfigured, that won't help you any.

By all appearances, this game uses more (way more?) computer resources than it could/should. But that doesn't mean the lags are unrelated to the player's computer. There are lots of hidden processes running on any computer and if there's a lag in the game seemingly "out of the blue", it may be caused by a hidden process having become activated (perhaps intermittently activated) on your computer without your being aware of it. Like a regularly scheduled anti-virus scan running automatically in the background, for example.

An illustration of the resources issue... I played a game earlier today. My laptop has 1GB of RAM and I use Google Chrome to play the game. Right after I launched the game window, I noticed RAM go all the way down to zero. The first hole was very slow to load for me & the meter jumped on my first tee shot, so my drive ended up in the rough. So, what I did was close the other Google Chrome window from which I had launched the game window. There were 3 tabs open in it, with this discussion forum.

Boom! Right after I closed that Chrome window where the forum tabs were, the RAM on my computer jumped from just above zero to over 200MB, and stayed that way until the end of my Ladder 9 game. There was hardly ever any meter lag for the rest of the game.

It doesn't seem likely these discussion forums by themselves are as resource-hungry as all that. It may well have been one of the ads displayed on the forum pages that was eating up 200MB of my RAM (one fifth of the entire RAM on my computer).

So, that's just an example for you, Doug. The initial lag in my game and during the first tee shot was clearly related to my PC and the processes running on it – not just the game itself. Although I'm still unable to identify the cause clearly.  

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Fri, Sep 18 2009 5:16 AM

I see EXACTLY what process is eating up CPU time, and it's the browser window that's running WGT.    It's not a scheduled task (e.g. anti-virus), it's not file indexing, it's not defrag, it's not Flash looking on the net for an update, it's not Firefox/Chrome looking for updates, it's not Windows scanning for and trying to d/l updates, it's not some hidden process or process being run in svchost, it's the WGT browser window every single time on my computer.

I wonder if the sudden and unexplained CPU spike is caused by the WGT program "probing" for other programs (such as cheat programs).   I could monitor disk activity as well, but quite frankly, I deal with enough computer problems during the day at work.  I have zero inclination to be some sort of QA person of a "BETA" software program that charges for clubs.   We've apparently come a long way from the days of companies paying people to QA their product.   Now we have people paying to QA a product.   Nice.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Sep 18 2009 5:52 AM

While you're no doubt correct about your own computer, Marion, cases have been reported (also to this forum) where players later found out that the lag was caused by something external to the game and the browser running it. (Otherwise, people wouldn't be reporting improvements after installing GameBooster that does exactly that: stops processes on the PC that do not need to run constantly and are unrelated to gameplay.)

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Fri, Sep 18 2009 6:05 AM

@Faterson,

Sorry  disagree. I shut down ALL running programs on my computer, close all extra windows etc etc etc. So there is nothing running at all. Nothing in the background and nothing to come on unexpectantly.

There is only the WGT browser window open - "one of" thats it.

I agree with marioh - its something at the WGT end.

To be perfectly honest, initially it didnt really affect me - I use to wonder what all the fuss was about. Well - I do now !! I have been using the same computer all the time. But over the last few months I have noticed an increase in its activity. I have seen a lot more spikes than I ever use to see, and the meter is no where near as smooth as it use to be. I live with it and I get by, but it has cost me shots - no question about that.

How come,  SSSSSSSSooooooooo many people are having this problem, tell me that? Why is it affecting so many players on the site, even the most experienced.

WGTAlex - Do we have any comment to make ?? I would just like to hear some thoughts from WGT on this long running, and getting worse issue.

Cheers Doug

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Fri, Sep 18 2009 6:09 AM

Of course.   That's the case for plenty of people and is something that's constantly seen at gaming forums all over the internet.

It doesn't change the fact that there is a bug which manifests itself as a random CPU spike.   Does it happen often?   For me, in SP mode, maybe once or twice a round (if it happens at all).   MP is a crapshoot, sometimes it's fine, others it's bad from hole 1 all the way to the end.

Because a large portion of players have additional issues with either their PC configuration or malware doesn't mean we should gloss over this issue, nor give WGT a free pass on it.   :)

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Fri, Sep 18 2009 6:12 AM

@ Faterson

On the game booster issue.

I use that also - and guess what !! It has absolutely NO / ZERO / NIL affect on this lag / spiking issue. NIL.  It spikes quite often when the booster is on - so ???????

I had a really bad spike the other week. Putt 2ft dead straight - couldnt miss it in a fit. Right on impact the meter went crazy, and dont tell me to let the meter swing through. Cant do it at that exact moment at impact. So - I missed the putt.

But all processes were shut down, all windows shut down - only the one WGT browser window open.

So - why did that happen. Tell me that.

Cheers Doug

• PAGES
RSS