Help › Forums

Help from the greats of this game!!!

rated by 0 users
Sat, May 28 2011 4:45 PM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Wed, May 25 2011 1:25 PM

With the putter i use, ghost, if i miss the ding, the ball goes well wide of the hole, but if i hit ding, and get a rough line, putts tend to go in.  Since i've bought my ghost, and hit ding all the time, i putt 12+ footers as easy as i used to putt 5 footers, i even putt a few 25 footers now.

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Wed, May 25 2011 2:01 PM

MrMcCormick:

1. What is the better style of putter to use for this style? A precision driven putter or a forgiving style?... or is it all just preference?

2. For longer putts would there be an option to use both styles?... for long left to right break... put your aim line out to the left and use a mis-hit for the rest of the considered break?... Or am I just getting out of hand with this? lol

Mr. McCormick

You kind of hit the nail on the head. I am one of those that have used the mishit ever since I have been here. You do have to adjust your speed more but if you can do that then it works great. As for the using both, often on the long putts (25feet +) and depending on the shot I will adjust the aim point.

• MrMcCormick
    69 Posts
    Wed, May 25 2011 2:08 PM

I just bought the redwood lvl 72 putter and tried the mis-hit style with it... i havent really tried anything outside of 8 ft... but within 8 ft I am knocking them in pretty well.. (with heavy breaks).. I will see how it goes outside of that range... and I will also practice using both styles at the same time to see if I have any success...

Other then that if anyone that uses this style is up for a game I would love to play... will be on for another 2 hours!

Good hitting to everyone ;)

• nickolijj
    277 Posts
    Wed, May 25 2011 2:08 PM

#1. Rossa, hands down.

#2. We can discuss that when we play. Looking forward to it.

• seanobrien
    296 Posts
    Wed, May 25 2011 3:02 PM

I use the mishit style and my putting is pretty good from within 20ft though not phenomenal.

Basically it is all about getting used to it (i.e. practice).

After a while, you can just look at the break and you know how much to mishit almost instantly.

With longer putts with a lot of break, I use both the aim and mishit, as I am more comfortable with a mishit range between about one inch either side of the ding.

If I think it has more break than that would allow, I aim first for the bit extra that I think it will break, then mishit it the remainder.

The most important thing do is to get the pace right. You want to hit it the distance shown plus about 1 foot.

Also look at the putt from in front and behind the hole, as sometimes you can get a cleare picture of the break from behind the hole.

The last thing which thankfully I havent done for a long time, is don't incorporate break into your calculation that is past the hole (stop laughing at the back). This is where the looking at both views of the putt comes in.

Driving's for show, putting is for dough (or credits as the case may be)

• MrMcCormick
    69 Posts
    Wed, May 25 2011 4:40 PM

Great pointers... i will keep working on it and see how good I can get... I know if I can expand my putting comfort to about 20ish ft I am going to be in a great spot to play extremely well...

Thanks again

• seveking
    983 Posts
    Sat, May 28 2011 10:39 AM

Just grab anything and get used to it. Starter putter for me, no point buying anything else.

• borntobesting
    9,632 Posts
    Sat, May 28 2011 4:45 PM

I tried to use the Ghost but couldn't figure out the scales at all. I guess I used the Redwood for too long before I tried to switch. I took the loss and sold it back.

• PAGES
RSS