Help › Forums

Help from the greats of this game!!!

rated by 0 users
Sat, May 28 2011 4:45 PM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • MrMcCormick
    69 Posts
    Wed, May 25 2011 4:42 AM

Here it is.... I am getting pretty good at this game... I play it at work so for the most part I have the time and patience to get as good as possible.

I would consider myself an above average putter..... but.... I played in an alt shot game with a legend and for every 10 footer I made he would drive in a 20 footer with ease. And these putts were heavy breakers...

Now I havent played to many people that are as good... or better at putting then I am (Not trying to be cocky or anything.) ... but this guy (can't for the life of me remember his name.) was multiple notches above me.

now getting to the point... lol.... I talked to him breifly about putting and I told him that I was a feel it out kind of putter.

I would basically calculate distance.

run my arrow down the line of the putt to get a feel for how it would roll.

Then I would adjust my aim line accordingly and let it roll.

I asked him what he did and he said that a lot of the great players use a method where you actually purposly mis-hit the putt depending on the break.

So if you have a left to right break you would mis click it to the left of the white line accordingly... of course this being after the proper calculations...

Sooo.... I want to know from the greats on here.... If you use this method do u have any tips to get me started.... Like I said my style has worked... but if there is something I can change to get consistently better I will because I have the time to practice and mess around...

I tried this style @ 10 ft. with a decent break and made 7 out of 10 my first tries.... but when I got further out it seems to get much more inconsistent....

Any help would be appreciated!

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE and happy hitting to you!

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Wed, May 25 2011 9:32 AM

MrMcCormick:

Here it is.... I am getting pretty good at this game... I play it at work so for the most part I have the time and patience to get as good as possible.

I would consider myself an above average putter..... but.... I played in an alt shot game with a legend and for every 10 footer I made he would drive in a 20 footer with ease. And these putts were heavy breakers...

Now I havent played to many people that are as good... or better at putting then I am (Not trying to be cocky or anything.) ... but this guy (can't for the life of me remember his name.) was multiple notches above me.

now getting to the point... lol.... I talked to him breifly about putting and I told him that I was a feel it out kind of putter.

I would basically calculate distance.

run my arrow down the line of the putt to get a feel for how it would roll.

Then I would adjust my aim line accordingly and let it roll.

I asked him what he did and he said that a lot of the great players use a method where you actually purposly mis-hit the putt depending on the break.

So if you have a left to right break you would mis click it to the left of the white line accordingly... of course this being after the proper calculations...

Sooo.... I want to know from the greats on here.... If you use this method do u have any tips to get me started.... Like I said my style has worked... but if there is something I can change to get consistently better I will because I have the time to practice and mess around...

I tried this style @ 10 ft. with a decent break and made 7 out of 10 my first tries.... but when I got further out it seems to get much more inconsistent....

Any help would be appreciated!

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE and happy hitting to you!

Unfortunately, there is no formula for missing. Actual mishit is what it is, a mishit. I do mishit sometimes on purpose but it's a risk and anytime my ball just goes over the top I get mad at myself.

All requires practice and then some luck :) There is no easy way to teach but you can check putting guide for the overall tips about putting.

-wgticon

• OkieX
    175 Posts
    Wed, May 25 2011 9:44 AM

I don't think many of the "greats" as you say, use the mishit style for many of their putts.

• nickolijj
    277 Posts
    Wed, May 25 2011 10:14 AM

MrMcCormick-

I wouldn't consider myself one of the great putters on WGT, but I can consistently post decent scores and I very rarely move the triangle to putt. I have used the "mishit" technique for as long as I can remember. I'm pretty sure it developed from me being lazy and not wanting to take all that time to aim and then still miss the putt. But I found it to be a very consistent way to putt the more rounds I played, and kept seeing more and more putts drop. With that being said, I think the "aim and ding" technique will ultimately make you the best putter you can be. I play with many of the best putters in the game (Cyl6, Jake, Bollie, etc) and they pretty much all use the "aim and ding". Feel free to shoot me a friend request if you'd like to play a round sometime. It's quite difficult to give you tips since you can't see my meter to find out where I'm clicking. But I'm sure I could shed light on a few tips that might help.

J

• seveking
    983 Posts
    Wed, May 25 2011 10:26 AM

I´ve been here for so long that I simply can´t get out of the habit of the mishit, but I would reccommend anyone who can to do so. As Nicko said, all the great players use the aim and ding formula rather than the miss on purpose.

• nickolijj
    277 Posts
    Wed, May 25 2011 10:37 AM

Seve are you saying I'm not great? :) JK

• cyl6
    347 Posts
    Wed, May 25 2011 11:40 AM

J, I think he was saying you are a "great," but you need to hit it inside 5 ft on every hole :).

Seriously, I've played a lot of rounds with Jared, and his style works great for him. The complication is that you have to make multiple calculations as to distance because the intentional miss changes the distance; but on the plus side it sometimes feels more "natural" since you just miss as much as you think it should break. And your "aim" point is never outside the hole.

Jared and I have tried playing reverse putting styles, with varying success. The "aim and ding" style I employ is probably more consistent, and you should make more long putts that way. But if you are a great "feel" player - like Jared - then the other way could be very successful as well. Play with Jared and you can quickly get an idea of how to miss. He can tell you how many pixels you should miss left or right just be looking at the putt. It's remarkable.

• suncity28
    1,266 Posts
    Wed, May 25 2011 12:05 PM

Putting , Putting & Putting

Your putting stats

One Putt % 49.42%
    Two Putt % 47.67%

You can putt & looking at the % some days will be better then others. 

I am not one of the greats on here but I do enjoy putting. I get up set if I miss one putt per round

One Putt % 68.54%
    Two Putt % 30.30%

Most important part of putting understanding how a putt moves at different speed. I have played around with the miss hit on putts with mix results , I use the miss hit for approach shots manly in Moderate - Heavy winds. 

I posted a few photo`s in a different topic the other day , may come in handy , maybe not , But practice makes perfect & every1 has a different way of thinking how to putt.

My way of putting is on dots & lines with a large amount of practice working out how much to move my line compared to how fast the dot is moving. Over time starting from very slow dots right up to Oakmont 1st hole putts with massive brakes you have a great understanding of how the putt will brake & no how much to move your line.

Tip: be aggressive with putts if you miss , miss by 1.5 - 2.5ft , lagging the putt up there with slow speed I find more often then not , will brake & miss or fall short.

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Wed, May 25 2011 12:55 PM

Like sun, I don't consider myself one of the greats on here, but unlike sun, I do use the "mis-hit method" on almost any breaking putt of less than about 7 ft or so, and quite frequently on putts longer than that, provided there isn't a huge amount of break (my putter will only miss so far...lol).

Like anything, it takes lots of practice.  It also relies heavily on feel and experience to know how much to mis-hit the putt to counter the break.

For anything over that 7 ft length, I usually rely on the "aim and ding" method.  Much more reliable for the longer putts.

• MrMcCormick
    69 Posts
    Wed, May 25 2011 1:09 PM

I couldn't thank you guys enough for the insight.... I can see both sides of it.... I am working on this style for any putts within 10 ft... as long as there isnt INSANE break.... and for longer putts with just slight break the mis-hit method seems to work.... I believe my biggest problem would be to judge how much mis-hitting would affect my speed.

I am getting mixed results so far... but obviously need to take time and practice it!

Another ? for some of you mis-hit putters...

1. What is the better style of putter to use for this style? A precision driven putter or a forgiving style?... or is it all just preference?

2. For longer putts would there be an option to use both styles?... for long left to right break... put your aim line out to the left and use a mis-hit for the rest of the considered break?... Or am I just getting out of hand with this? lol

Thanks again guys... nice to have u gents post so quickly!

• PAGES
RSS