Forums

Help › Forums

Charlottesville

Tue, Aug 29 2017 3:35 PM (190 replies)
  • Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Sat, Aug 26 2017 6:06 PM

ps: I'm not trying to change the subject, but I feel another song coming on, with printed lyrics.... OjO

Or someone might prefer this classier version, with poetry:

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Sat, Aug 26 2017 8:47 PM

Another sleepless night.....oh well, what's new.

Looking back at the horse, boot and shoes puzzle. I spotted my mistake, I added the horsehoe and didn't multiply....is the answer is 44? I'm not trying to change the subject.

PS: the bananas, clock and pentagon puzzle is 52?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Aug 27 2017 8:55 AM

Dubfore:

I spotted my mistake, I added the horsehoe and didn't multiply....is the answer is 44? I'm not trying to change the subject.

PS: the bananas, clock and pentagon puzzle is 52?

Not even close on either count. In fact, the answers have already been determined and were posted.  Keep reading.

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Sun, Aug 27 2017 9:36 AM

I know why I got the first one wrong, changed the method from what I read....wrong again.

Thanks, YJ.

Funny turn of events, Charlottsville to maths puzzles...... 

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Sun, Aug 27 2017 6:09 PM

Ahhh lighten up why don't yiz!!  The Lonesome Boatman and Silent Annie

• drmoose
    3,532 Posts
    Mon, Aug 28 2017 4:25 AM

On the "three sheets to the wind " topic, My guess would be that it originated as a nautical phrase employed by drunken sailors, referring to reckless behavior. Arrrgh, unfurl me  sails ( on a three masted schooner ) an' these high winds be damned ! Either that, or, it's an early WGT'ers phrase used to describe the condition under which certain players have been known to play a round, occasionally ( allegedly ).

Doc :)

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Mon, Aug 28 2017 7:29 AM

drmoose:
    On the "three sheets to the wind " topic

I'm almost certain some of the contributers here do the cryptic in one of their Times.  And I know for certain it's possible to score own goals while moving the goalposts.

I've just decided I'm gonna post a piece of Irish music or lyrics any time I I post or reply to any thread outside of my club, whatever comes into my head at that time. For some reason, this one just popped into my head.

It's that man again....  

And I repeat, I'm not trying to change the subject....  OjO

• gonfission
    2,230 Posts
    Tue, Aug 29 2017 6:01 AM

drmoose:
    "three sheets to the wind " topic

You're spot on Doc, with what most know about the act.

When gale force, or better (hurricane) winds, were blowing, it was considered a foolhardy order, to raise 3 sheets to the wind. That is the widely accepted explanation, of being crazy drunk, to do so.

The original saying was "3 sheets "IN" the wind".

Sheets were not the sails themselves, as the expression represents itself. At the bottom of the sails are "sheet ropes", to control the horizontal movement of the sail. The vertical control ropes were of a different gauge, size.

If the bottom of a sail is not controlled, tied down, lashed, the sail would wobble in the wind. To allow two, or especially 3 sails to wobble, would make the ship flounder from side to side while trying to move forward.

Much like a drunken sailor would walk, and wobble.

4 would leave the ship dead in the water.

A schooner, is not the only ship, to sport 3 masts, Doc

Galleons usually had three sails per mast, schooners had predominantly two sails per mast.  

The galleons of the 16th - 18th centuries, had on average 4 masts, two main, and 1 forward, & one aft. The schooner was a single decked ship, above the water line, whereas, the galleon's were multi decked ships.

Like the pirate ships in the movies. Which were not the ship of choice, by the way, of pirates. Pirates preferred smaller, more maneuverable ships.

Hit & run

*Sigh* Hollywood has ruined reality ;-(

I do hope I passed the resident yachtsman's scrutiny...  

☢--------------<*{{{{{-(

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Tue, Aug 29 2017 6:13 AM

gonfission:
    A schooner, is not the only ship, to sport 3 masts, Doc

England I drink pints (proper Imperial ones mind).  Here (Oz) you can get them but schooies are the usual go (if hot outside still cool if can't swig quick enough).  If come to Oz know your measures basically:)  One place I know tries to pass off pots as schooners, and tourists I guess just pay ........Most just serve right of course.

• gonfission
    2,230 Posts
    Tue, Aug 29 2017 10:12 AM

Jimbog1964:
     One place I know tries to pass off pots as schooners, and tourists I guess just pay ........

That's because the glass somewhat looks like a schooner glass, just shortened a bit Jim.

All of our products in the U.S. have been repackaged into smaller boxes, bottles, etc., so the average American tourist would think it's just the same over there.

Until you walk in & sit down next to them receiving your proper schooner. Then the average American tourist would say nothing, but complain to each other all night.

"I don't drink much, but when I do".... ;-) I drink Saint Paulie Girl. I was surprised to have seen the bottles look reminiscent of a voo doo shrunken head... Tiny little bottles now.

Now a "pint", that's a "mans" beer.

Never knew you blokes offered up "schooners" Jim.  I think we have 12 oz beers in bars, or in some drafts, you could get a 16 oz,er I think. Long ago.

Your jug, is what we call a "pitcher", can't get one in America anymore unless you have 2 or more people to share it. I don't get the difference between drinking 3 1/2 beers, 1 at a time, or a pitcher all at once.

This is where this nonsense all began in this country, the "others" wanting to "change" everything alcoholic, for our "benefit". Then it all went down hill from there to the beginning of this thread.

You know Jim, 95% of the planets population, are MORONS, the rest of the 5% of "us", are always in danger of being infected. Be careful, arms inside the ride at all times.

I'll take the "pot", just a different kind, of course. No, No, I meant LARGER!!

Yeah, that's the ticket.... ;-))

RSS