Charlottesville

Tue, Aug 29 2017 3:35 PM (190 replies)
  • alosso
    21,042 Posts
    Fri, Aug 25 2017 4:23 AM

mkg335:
    $25 + $3 = $28

$28 + $2 = $30

There is no "other dollar" just as there is no spoon.

True this way.

And, from the other side, it ain't

3 x $9 plus $2 = 29

but

3 x $9 minus $2 = 25

• alosso
    21,042 Posts
    Fri, Aug 25 2017 4:26 AM

alosso:
    Listen to "Street Maths", a TEDx talk to see what everyday people need.

It's Street Math, on youtube!

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Fri, Aug 25 2017 5:44 AM

fmagnets:

Labelling the different rows of the puzzle as y where y is 1 at top down to 6, try this formula:

(y -3 + the sum of all the column 1 numbers in rows y to 6) all doubled

Just a bit of silliness, but it gives 12 as an answer ;-)

Seems similar to the decreasing subtraction, insert the "missing" line and start at -6 gives 6.  

I did similar from the number on the right subtract the one to the left and the one below it and add 1 (lol, not sure even I understand that)

72-17 (9+8) +1 = 56.

56-15 (8+7) +1 = 42 etc.  Gives an answer of 13 ;-) or 6 if you put in that line.   

I know nothing about formal maths but having a missing line seems like cheating, surely there should be an indication of such a thing :-/

• gonfission
    2,230 Posts
    Fri, Aug 25 2017 7:07 AM

Just checked out the suggestion ^^^ 

alosso:

One thing she mentioned about time management hit home with me. When she spoke about time lost, sitting in juror selection groups, it reminded me of earlier days when trouble was my constant companion.

Never one to waste time, while waiting to be adjudicated, I learned a LOT about the system of justice in this country. Quickly I observed the lack of jury trials being asked for. It is our right to have a jury trial when requested.

Doing some quick math while sitting in the court room, counting all the people brought in for adjudication, I added them all up, and put a time accruement, for how long each person choosing a jury trial would approximately take.

I ran the numbers, and came to the epiphany that the entire judicial system in this country would crash in upon itself with in days, if EVERYONE chose a jury trial. This was in the 70's, imagine with the exponential crime rate rising from then to now, it would take hours for courts to come to a grinding halt.

Having figured this out, when it was my time for the 1st part of proceedings to commence, the "arraignment" phase, which then usually ended up in another date set for a trial, or a "waiver" of the trial. You then allow the judge to adjudicate you instead of a jury.

Big gamble, dependent on what one has done. Now standing up when my name was called, charges read, I needed to enter a "plea". "Not guilty" was my plea.

Held over for trial was the answer. It is ALWAYS the answer, during arainmet, unless one wants to eradicate the charges then & there by the waiver. When asked, I chose a jury trial.

There was some conversation at the bench between the DA and the magistrate & the judge. A call for dismissal came from the DA. The hammer fell, I thanked them, and bolted.

4 federal grand jury indictments later, I also repeated the same process. I would tell all appointed, and hired lawyers, "if you're a settler, move out west with the rest of them"!

They knew I was willing to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars of THEIR money, which paled in comparison to the time spent, building a winning case against me, because I always chose a jury trial.

Time management is the most important factor in a persons life.

Two days ago, my neighbor lost his 51 year old wife in a head on crash. She was texting on her phone, less than a 1/2 mile from our, her, house. It would have taken her about 2.25 minutes to drive home before making that text.

She crossed into oncoming traffic and died on the scene.

Two minutes in your life, can be the most defining minutes of your life today.

Time is the only quantification of our existence. Nothing else.

Enjoy the time you have left. I wonder how many hours, some of us spend in this cyber world. For me, it's about 7 hours a week.

Anyone else want to do their time here? Not that it's a waste, for some it is pure enjoyment, most I should say.

How many hours a week, a month, a year???

for me it's averagely

7 x 7x 52 ➗ 24 hours = 15.166666 days a year

I'm good with that, still leaves plenty of time for goofing off

Which will commence henceforth....

German engineering vs Chinese

Tootles

• alosso
    21,042 Posts
    Fri, Aug 25 2017 3:35 PM

gonfission:
    alosso:

The lecturing lady spends a lot of her time on time management but that's not my point. It's more to be educated enough for educated guesses, for a rational ground of our evaluations and decisions. I'd never trust a source (which may call itself an authority) which would stay away from rational evaluation of their wisdom. Unfortunately, some world leaders show such behaviour today.

Ciao,

Paul

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Sat, Aug 26 2017 5:09 AM

It's healthy to have 'political' debates/discussions/opinions call it what you will, in any forum.  Some say that sport and politics don't mix,  I would argue that most if not everything is connected to politics in some way.

How many fundraisers connected with golf (to name one sport) are held in America to support the brave -and in some cases, misguided- men and woman who went to war for whatever reason?  I'm not trying to change the subject. 

Below from Facebook re statues etc.

For those of you absorbed by the pulling down of Confederacy statues in the United States and the broadening cultural war happening there - this phenomenon is far more advanced in the Former Ukraine. Thousands of monuments have been destroyed, thousands of streets, villages and cities have been renamed and communist parties banned - even hundreds of names are banned under the decommunisation program initiated by the banderite circus in Kiev, which is given complete financial, diplomatic and military support by the EU and western governments. It's the current vogue for the sort of liberal idpol left that on the one hand is obsessed with this in America yet condemns anti EU sentiment as racist and is curiously silent on its support for the Kiev regime. Dmytriy Kovalevich writes about the current state of play:

"The war against monuments in Ukraine goes on, though as there remained almost no pro-communist monuments, this time it’s the war led by the opposite side: daily destroyed are the newly erected monuments to the so-called ‘holodomor’, Ukrainian Nazi-collaborationists or clergymen as well the monuments, plaques and graves of the soldiers recently died in the civil war against Donbass. 
    One can’t erect something and expect that it would stand for some months. In Odessa, for instance, no plaque to the soldiers of ATO (Anti-Donbass war) on their former houses survives even a week. 
    Actually it’s a long struggle for the control over the urban space between teens’ gangs."

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Sat, Aug 26 2017 5:18 AM

PS: 

Say a bit fat NO to racism and bigotry.

More interesting takes on statues etc.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/22/toppling-statues-nelsons-column-should-be-next-slavery

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sat, Aug 26 2017 6:14 AM

Dubfore:

A silly moo who got told to STFU and go get 5 minutes of fame somewhere else I also saw.......

Donbass - yeah that's a pickle.

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Sat, Aug 26 2017 6:44 AM

Told to shut the *** up, a silly moo...lol....who me? lol.  Notice the change, the name calling. Now why did I expect that from Jim?

I'm going through the posts to try catch up on this, but I'm at the equasion now,

the horses, shoes and boots equasion. Is the answer 15?

Silly moo here.  OjO

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sat, Aug 26 2017 6:56 AM

Dubfore:

Told to shut the *** up, a silly moo...lol....who me? lol.  Notice the change, the name calling. Now why did I expect that from Jim?

Silly moo here.  OjO

The young journalist who wrote about parts that fitted her angle got called the silly moo, nothing to do with you:)  

RSS